Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #23
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Nice car op. Those cars are damn fast!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #24
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

nice car OP. congrats.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #25
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Congrats on the new car, not my flavor but I am sure it's more luxurious inside than my full leather M3. Frankly i haven't had any issues hauling 3 people and a 9 year old in my car around the year without any issues or discomfort and the only people complaining are my in laws whom are older and don't like cars that are too low.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #26
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Congrats OP! Enjoy in good health! As the miles pile up keep us posted on your experience in the Caddy. Looks are subjective, but build quality is probably something most of us are interested in.

So far (10k+ miles) I haven't experienced the issues you've had with the M (knocks on wood).
      01-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #27
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by /// M sa View Post
Congrats on the new car, not my flavor but I am sure it's more luxurious inside than my full leather M3. Frankly i haven't had any issues hauling 3 people and a 9 year old in my car around the year without any issues or discomfort and the only people complaining are my in laws whom are older and don't like cars that are too low.
I think the interior of the ATS with recaro pkg is similar or up to par with full leather M3, but somewhat hard to judge since the ATS is partial suede.

I live the suede steering wheel and shift knob on mine though.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #28
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Congrats OP! Enjoy in good health! As the miles pile up keep us posted on your experience in the Caddy. Looks are subjective, but build quality is probably something most of us are interested in.

So far (10k+ miles) I haven't experienced the issues you've had with the M (knocks on wood).
I'll still be active on this forum so will continue to provide updates.

I think the V division at Cadillac has learned a lot after 2 generations of CTS-Vs.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #29
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
I'll still be active on this forum so will continue to provide updates.

I think the V division at Cadillac has learned a lot after 2 generations of CTS-Vs.
I think you are the very first member of this forum (to my knowledge) that has bought an ATS-V. Congrats!!

I find your criticisms valid, especially reading what Car and Driver has to say about their M3 in their latest 40,000 mile road test update:

"Instead, living with the M3 means enduring the drama of its carbon-ceramic brakes, which repeatedly frighten us when they get wet and pedal feel vanishes, even as BMW is adamant that they are working properly. It also means suffering a loud, bone-jarring ride that cannot be ameliorated, even by switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode. It means listening to the muffler do its best impersonation of a garbage disposal filled with rocks when we start the car in the morning, even after multiple visits to service. It means that by this time in our test, some editors are as tired of the car as the car is tired, even if we all still love the way it looks and performs."

Styling is subjective, and I personally like the looks of the ATS-V sedan (but not the coupe so much). The interior is its biggest weakness, and is a deal-breaker for me. However, that's soon to be remedied in the 2017 ATS-V. On the other hand, the engine has tons of potential and responds very nicely to simple mods.

You get the "word" icon from me. Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
I think you are the very first member of this forum (to my knowledge) that has bought an ATS-V. Congrats!!

I find your criticisms valid, especially reading what Car and Driver has to say about their M3 in their latest 40,000 mile road test update:

"Instead, living with the M3 means enduring the drama of its carbon-ceramic brakes, which repeatedly frighten us when they get wet and pedal feel vanishes, even as BMW is adamant that they are working properly. It also means suffering a loud, bone-jarring ride that cannot be ameliorated, even by switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode. It means listening to the muffler do its best impersonation of a garbage disposal filled with rocks when we start the car in the morning, even after multiple visits to service. It means that by this time in our test, some editors are as tired of the car as the car is tired, even if we all still love the way it looks and performs."

Styling is subjective, and I personally like the looks of the ATS-V sedan (but not the coupe so much). The interior is its biggest weakness, and is a deal-breaker for me. However, that's soon to be remedied in the 2017 ATS-V. On the other hand, the engine has tons of potential and responds very nicely to simple mods.

You get the "word" icon from me. Enjoy!!

the interior is a lot better compared to the standard one I had in my M3 (carbonstructure cloth). It's on par with full leather.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #31
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Can you post a picture of your wonderful instrument cluster ?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #32
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Can you post a picture of your wonderful instrument cluster ?
i'll take a pic of my config tomorrow

but this is from google...simple view that can be customized even more

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I think that if you look at a picture like this, then the center console, seats, doors, stick all look very good. It's the dash display and that awful steering wheel that ruin the rest... if they only used the Vette digital display like the CTS V and maybe used the Vette steering wheel, it would have been one hell of a combo.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #34
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I think that if you look at a picture like this, then the center console, seats, doors, stick all look very good. It's the dash display and that awful steering wheel that ruin the rest... if they only used the Vette digital display like the CTS V and maybe used the Vette steering wheel, it would have been one hell of a combo.

I actually love my suede steering wheel. But too many freaking buttons

'Vette instrument cluster would have been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #35
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Nice car but I feel you made a step sideways.

I'm personally going with a Porsche Macan GTS for the baby stuff and I feel the X6M maybe another good choice?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #36
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

I really don't get what is wrong with putting a baby or a kid in the M3? My daughter rides in the E60 M5 and now the F80 M3 all the time. I trained my daughter to love fast and bumpy cars, I think she will love the M4 GTS.

If you think the M3 rattles is bad. I will tell you from experience of owning a Cadillac SRX and now a Buick Enclave. You are in for a really rough ride...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #37
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Nice car but I feel you made a step sideways.

I'm personally going with a Porsche Macan GTS for the baby stuff and I feel the X6M maybe another good choice?
Once the GS350 lease is up, wife is getting a smaller SUV. But no way am I driving an suv. Parking spots are small where I live and work.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #38
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Kart View Post
I really don't get what is wrong with putting a baby or a kid in the M3? My daughter rides in the E60 M5 and now the F80 M3 all the time. I trained my daughter to love fast and bumpy cars, I think she will love the M4 GTS.

If you think the M3 rattles is bad. I will tell you from experience of owning a Cadillac SRX and now a Buick Enclave. You are in for a really rough ride...lol
Too bad long term reviews haven't come out for the ATS-V yet. I hope caddy did a better job with the newer generation.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #39
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Kart View Post

I agree here! I moved from an E92 335 over to the m3 after my son was born. It's perfect for all my baby needs and hauling around his things and anything else for that matter. I get to have my fun car and baby hauler all in one, and my boy loves riding in the m3. I never really felt the need to look at an SUV just because I had a baby to move around.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #40
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
i'll take a pic of my config tomorrow

but this is from google...simple view that can be customized even more

Is this a pic of a Pontiac?
Appreciate 3
      01-02-2016, 01:07 AM   #41
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Nice car OP. Bravo. I'll check one out at this year's car show.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #42
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
Is this a pic of a Pontiac?
that's what I thought when I first saw pictures of it pop up months ago.

When I actually drove it and the bottom part of the screen is customizable, i forgot how ugly the tachs look.

I got over it since I got head-up display.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #43
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Definitely not my cup of tea. I wonder with the new camaro ss, i think the numbers are really close to the ats-v, wonder it it will make some coupe buyers question the premium especially when you can get a v8.

regardless, Congrats OP. my wife just got a '15 gs and it's pretty sweet!

just a thought on rattles- all our cars had some sort of noise, bmw, mb, audi, infiniti, acura, mazda etc. over time, creaks and rattles are unavoidable.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #44
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Definitely not my cup of tea. I wonder with the new camaro ss, i think the numbers are really close to the ats-v, wonder it it will make some coupe buyers question the premium especially when you can get a v8.

regardless, Congrats OP. my wife just got a '15 gs and it's pretty sweet!

just a thought on rattles- all our cars had some sort of noise, bmw, mb, audi, infiniti, acura, mazda etc. over time, creaks and rattles are unavoidable.
the GS is great for what it is. After 11k miles no rattles. Although, I wish Lexus would stop putting the 3.5L V6 in all their cars. It's slow and terrible on gas in the city. I checked my wife's MPG figures here and there and it's always in the low teens.

The new Camaro looks huge when I saw it next to a C7 stingray. Big price difference between the 2 so not sure if people cross shop them.

The ATS-V is also faster to 60 and 1/4 mile according to a few sources.
Appreciate 0