Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #67
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

I had a little fun earlier this morning.

Wanted to pass up a guy camping in the fast lane. Stepped on it and didn't realize how fast I got within seconds. Next thing I know I see flashing lights in my rear view.

Younger CHP clocked me at 86 but I might have gone a bit faster.

Long story short, he gave me a fix it ticket to update my address on my license. Told me he was considering the ATS-V before he settled for an S3.

I told him I would've let him drive my car if I wasn't in a hurry to see my mother in the hospital.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #68
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
Congrats on your new car, I like the color combo you chose. I guess it's hit and miss with rattles and noises, my wife's MB E350 rattles and creeks a lot compared to my m3. The M is rattle free for me and my car is pretty low to the ground since its on coilovers. Now going back to the gas situation I read earlier, seems that the wife's E350 has worse gas mileage then the M. The E350 averages about 18 miles a gallon and the M about 19.5 miles, I wonder how good the cadi is on gas. Well enjoy your car in good health, thanks for posting your experience.
I think the older V6 designs aren't as efficient.

Wife had a g37 not too far back and it was just as bad as the GS.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #69
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdphan View Post
I think the older V6 designs aren't as efficient.

Wife had a g37 not too far back and it was just as bad as the GS.
I agree, my mother had a Altima v6 and a Maxima v6 and the altima had good gas mileage while the maxima had terrible gas mileage. Both had the same engine but in this case I think the weight difference had something to do with it. Either way I think the 6 cylinder engines now are more efficient, I bet your cadi gets better mileage than your wife's gs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #70
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
I agree, my mother had a Altima v6 and a Maxima v6 and the altima had good gas mileage while the maxima had terrible gas mileage. Both had the same engine but in this case I think the weight difference had something to do with it. Either way I think the 6 cylinder engines now are more efficient, I bet your cadi gets better mileage than your wife's gs.
Through 200+ miles I'm getting 22mpg. But most of it is doing 80-85 on the fwy.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #71
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Not sure how I'm justifying my purchase. I'm providing an overview of my experience with the 2 cars that are similar and why I traded in the M.

The caddy rides firm as well but not as firm as the M3. It doesn't feel harsh as the M. Even though the ATS rides softer, it doesn't give up anything on the handling department according to magazine reviews.
Lol wasn't trying to offend just stating the obvious. Most people tend to justify a purchase myself included ie. traded my 7000 mile F82 in on F80 because I told myself 4 doors would be more practical. Bottom line it's your money and you don't have to justify your purchase to me or anyone else. You stated the thing about the baby and ride being to rough, when I read that I started laughing because I pictured myself trying to sell the idea to the wife "hey honey I am worried the baby might get a concussion from the stiff ride in this car, lets buy a Cadillac". Anyway enjoy the car like I said before I haven't driven the ATS-V so you are more qualified to give the comparison, but based on the styling the car is not for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #72
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king
Quote:
Not sure how I'm justifying my purchase. I'm providing an overview of my experience with the 2 cars that are similar and why I traded in the M.

The caddy rides firm as well but not as firm as the M3. It doesn't feel harsh as the M. Even though the ATS rides softer, it doesn't give up anything on the handling department according to magazine reviews.
Lol wasn't trying to offend just stating the obvious. Most people tend to justify a purchase myself included ie. traded my 7000 mile F82 in on F80 because I told myself 4 doors would be more practical. Bottom line it's your money and you don't have to justify your purchase to me or anyone else. You stated the thing about the baby and ride being to rough, when I read that I started laughing because I pictured myself trying to sell the idea to the wife "hey honey I am worried the baby might get a concussion from the stiff ride in this car, lets buy a Cadillac". Anyway enjoy the car like I said before I haven't driven the ATS-V so you are more qualified to give the comparison, but based on the styling the car is not for me.
Rain if it's any consolation that is the way I read it.

I ride in sport/sport+ 90% of the time. Including when the 7 yo and/or 4 yo are in.I have not had a reason to drive the 5 month old yet, but she would get the same settings.

I came from an 8 year old Acura TL. I am loving how the car feels in these settings.

Again OP congrats on the car! I can't imagine dumping my M3 for anything else out there. But if you kid(s?) are getting a better ride, fewer complaints, and you are happy that is all that matters!
      01-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #73
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
similar to my excuse when I got the M3, lol. We needed a 4dr for he baby.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #74
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain49king View Post
OP isn't exactly making up ride quality issues. What some might find adequate for them, others might find uncomfortable. Motor Trend wasn't so kind to it in their initial review. Now they have a 30,000 mile update review with their long term road test car.

Quote:
WHAT WE DON’T LIKE: That the above scenario never, ever happens, at least not for us. Instead, living with the M3 means enduring the drama of its carbon-ceramic brakes, which repeatedly frighten us when they get wet and pedal feel vanishes, even as BMW is adamant that they are working properly. It also means suffering a loud, bone-jarring ride that cannot be ameliorated, even by switching the adjustable suspension into Comfort mode. It means listening to the muffler do its best impersonation of a garbage disposal filled with rocks when we start the car in the morning, even after multiple visits to service. It means that by this time in our test, some editors are as tired of the car as the car is tired, even if we all still love the way it looks and performs.
It just goes to show how people opinions can differ. No one is really right or wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #75
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
My cars before the F80 were a B8 S4 and E92M. I did not remember any rattling issues in those 2.
Seems like car by car issues. Both my e92 and e90 Ms had rattles worse than my f80. I honestly think the full leather helps
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #76
Rain49king
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

OP isn't exactly making up ride quality issues. What some might find adequate for them, others might find uncomfortable. Motor Trend wasn't so kind to it in their initial review. Now they have a 30,000 mile update review with their long term road test car.

I stated before "I can't speak to the quality of the ATS-V". I will say I would be a little skeptical of buying a car or discrediting a car based on any one review. I would also be skeptical of GM cars in general based on the history. Look I have have owned plenty, hell sometimes I even miss my Z06. I know one thing go jump in a used 2011 model M3 with 50,000 miles then find a 2011 CTS and tell me which one rattles and creaks more.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #77
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

that was car and driver and not motor trend.

both magazines are all over the place in their reviews (not just for the m3/m4).

i.e. 1st place in the review, then complain about it in the long term review of the same ride. how carlos lagos loves it, then lieberman bitches about it...

much like most of their reviews in general it is all about the clicks. consistency doesn't pay for ads and clicks.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #78
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

you had a b8? I had a B7 S4 and sadly it rattled- there was one particular rattle coming from the tranny shifter that was like a high pitched sound my wife and I both cringed everytime it came up.

our infiniti's barely rattled at all, but both MB products we had creaked and rattled real bad.

by the way, having a good relationship with you SA- makes all the difference.

I had an MB SA tell me that rattles are not covered under warranty and I have had my BMW dealer fix our much of my rattles in my x5 after keeping the car for several days.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #79
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I'm surprised to hear OP and some others have had rattling issues with the F8x - luckily for me mine has been tight as a drum.

In any event - sounds like you (OP) are having a blast in the ATS V - so enjoy the car to the max - you should take it to the track as well - sounds like its chassis is just a smidge better than the current F8x/C63S.

And one more bit of advice - get yourself a good fuzz-buster...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #80
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
I'm surprised to hear OP and some others have had rattling issues with the F8x - luckily for me mine has been tight as a drum.

In any event - sounds like you (OP) are having a blast in the ATS V - so enjoy the car to the max - you should take it to the track as well - sounds like its chassis is just a smidge better than the current F8x/C63S.

And one more bit of advice - get yourself a good fuzz-buster...
It could be all random on M's having rattle issues.

My E92 was rattle free from what I remember.

I do plan to track the ATS this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #81
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Kd, those front end shots, looks super aggressive! I like it! Enjoy the new whip!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #82
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
It could be all random on M's having rattle issues.

My E92 was rattle free from what I remember.

I do plan to track the ATS this year.
Have had my M4 for 18 months now and it is still rattle, squeak, creak, etc. free.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #83
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Also, if you have rattling and creaking concerns, you'll like the Caddy even less as GM quality and fit and finish are materially less refined than BMW.
JD Powers ranked Ranked Cadillac #4, Buick #2 and Chevrolet rank #10. GM quality has gone way up over past few years. I don't particularly care for interior design of ATS V but quality is there.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #84
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
I had a little fun earlier this morning.

Wanted to pass up a guy camping in the fast lane. Stepped on it and didn't realize how fast I got within seconds. Next thing I know I see flashing lights in my rear view.

Younger CHP clocked me at 86 but I might have gone a bit faster.

Long story short, he gave me a fix it ticket to update my address on my license. Told me he was considering the ATS-V before he settled for an S3.

I told him I would've let him drive my car if I wasn't in a hurry to see my mother in the hospital.
I wonder if the CHP would have given you a speeding ticket if you were still in the F80 In my vette I've done some pulls next to CHPs (unknowingly of course) only to get the "no no" finger wave lol, in my older import cars it's instant pull over

Anyways sorry for the OT
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #85
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats! Rattles would drive me nuts, but I think BMW finally fixed some of those niggles in the recent '16s, at least we think they did...

I never would have looked at the ATS-V, but your post got me curious, and based on reviews it's neck and neck with the M3/4 (better in some cases too), I've got to give a thumbs up to U.S. manufacturers these days, they've really stepped up their game. Ford/Chevy/Caddy really have had a couple banner years lately. It's amazing to think just some years ago, a ATS-V type car from a U.S. manufacturer would be a joke on the track, but here it is really competing with the best german marques. On the flipside, shame on Euro marques.

OP, curious, how does the ATS-V's weight feel on turn-in / corners? Have you turned off the nannies and tried to push it around in corners to see how it behaves? Also, would be interested to see dyno numbers, got a feeling it's underrated, and probably more than what caddy listed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2015-feature

Last edited by S65V8; 01-03-2016 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #86
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I wonder if the CHP would have given you a speeding ticket if you were still in the F80 In my vette I've done some pulls next to CHPs (unknowingly of course) only to get the "no no" finger wave lol, in my older import cars it's instant pull over

Anyways sorry for the OT
I think in my case the CHP was a younger guy and an auto enthusiast. I did tell him the truth in trying to pass up a guy camping in the fast lane doing the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #87
kdphan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Congrats! Rattles would drive me nuts, but I think BMW finally fixed some of those niggles in the recent '16s, at least we think they did...

I never would have looked at the ATS-V, but your post got me curious, and based on reviews it's neck and neck with the M3/4 (better in some cases too), I've got to give a thumbs up to U.S. manufacturers these days, they've really stepped up their game. Ford/Chevy/Caddy really have had a couple banner years lately. It's amazing to think just some years ago, a ATS-V type car from a U.S. manufacturer would be a joke on the track, but here it is really competing with the best german marques. On the flipside, shame on Euro marques.

OP, curious, how does the ATS-V's weight feel on turn-in / corners? Have you turned off the nannies and tried to push it around in corners to see how it behaves? Also, would be interested to see dyno numbers, got a feeling it's underrated, and probably more than what caddy listed.

Wow. That's great.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2015-feature
Weight - I'm still breaking it in slowly and have only done a few hard pulls and fast corners. I really can't tell that the ATS-V weighs about 300lbs more than the M3. Something about the magnetic ride suspension that hides the weight well.

Dyno - I read a few threads on Cadillac forum stating the numbers are understated. But it would probably be better to run both an M3 and the ATS-V together on the same dyno back to back. This would give a more accurate picture of whether or not the stated numbers are true or understated.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #88
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
you're worried about babies and a stiff ride??? makes no sense at all. Babies love bouncy rides puts them to sleep even quicker....and NO you cannot harm a baby by driving them around in a stiff car....lol @ modern parental paranoia!

my 1M is more jarring and stiff than the F8X and has no settings (stock competition package setup) and our 6 month old baby loves it! falls right to sleep!
Appreciate 0