GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #45
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
Just look on page 1 of this thread, I already did. It’s no secret, read the other threads of all recent blown engines and see who their tuner was.
I mean the way everyone is still replying but not directly saying his name lol

Its like they all have an NDA and can't say it

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #46
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
Just look on page 1 of this thread, I already did. It's no secret, read the other threads of all recent blown engines and see who their tuner was.
I mean the way everyone is still replying but not directly saying his name lol

Its like they all have an NDA and can't say it
the profs in the pudding, the majority of spun crank hubs are tied to e85 tunes...bigger turbos running to much boost , its safe to say the s55 is a great 600hp , a risky 630 to 650 hp and a matter of time at 700... I'm talking crank hp not rear wheel hp
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #47
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

When you choose to run J-pipe 100% meth for high horsepower fueling then you can't blame the tuner for an uneven meth distribution problem. It's likely there was an uneven distribution to that cylinder which caused the stress and subsequent fail (read how OP failed under light load). OP thought it may have been a SCH but it's highly unlikely since he had VTT spline installed, and you can see from pix it's not a banged valve issue. The reason I think the meth was off is that would cause a detonation and possible rod crack. When the fail happened you see from the pix that the snapped lower rod beat up the lower cylinder, and then the fuel charge shot the piston and top rod half down into the spinning crank (which ate it).

Let's wait for OP to finish his vacation and post the full post-mortem before anyone starts accusing (that's OP's sole right here) which is only fair.
      08-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #48
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
why is everyone scared to name the tuner?
It’s in the very first post by OP.
Appreciate 1
Suds1597.00
      08-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #49
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
There was matt720s in NY, the damage looks very similar. Cylinder 4 was fu*ked. He believed his tune or his gas mixture might have caused the issue.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723037
Yeah, like the other guys with engine failures, he had a Paul tune.

E92inSG in above post had an engine failure and Paul was his tuner also.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #50
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22718653
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #51
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
When you choose to run J-pipe 100% meth for high horsepower fueling then you can't blame the tuner for an uneven meth distribution problem. It's likely there was an uneven distribution to that cylinder which caused the stress and subsequent fail (read how OP failed under light load). OP thought it may have been a SCH but it's highly unlikely since he had VTT spline installed, and you can see from pix it's not a banged valve issue. The reason I think the meth was off is that would cause a detonation and possible rod crack. When the fail happened you see from the pix that the snapped lower rod beat up the lower cylinder, and then the fuel charge shot the piston and top rod half down into the spinning crank (which ate it).

Let's wait for OP to finish his vacation and post the full post-mortem before anyone starts accusing (that's OP's sole right here) which is only fair.
Just getting back into this guys. FWIW, I did not have J-pipe meth. But in retrospect, I agree about the issue. Hub was not likely the issue and failed after the engine blew
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #52
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

A bit more follow up

Hiya guys,
Sorry for the delay in all this. Part of the issue is that the carcass of my car was sold to a close friend who just completed the autopsy. Entire engine is trashed and he has sourced a donor engine and will be installing and reconnecting in the next week. I don't have the time or interest in doing so.

Things we noted.
1. You guys are correct in that there was no obvious valve damage except in the destroyed cylinder
2. Both the head and block were destroyed beyond salvage
3. Obviously I was not logging when failure happened

4. I had the VTT V1 spline lock. Pictures to follow show another example of flattened splines with no bite onto crank shaft. The black marking you see were easily wiped off with a finger Chris has generously offered to provide replacement

5. I suppose I will never know the answer to the chicken or egg question. Did the rod fail first? Or did a detonation etc cause the rod to fail

6. As far as the tune...my logs always looked good with all fuel sources. It could have been a hot tune? Could have been a methanol failure? I suppose it is all speculation.

I promise you guys I have no special agreement with anyone lol.

At this point, due to a lack of enthusiasm on my part for the upcoming BMW models, and the fact that I have done the "M Thing" for the last 14 years, I am planning on trying something different and grabbing one of the Corvette Z06s when they are released.

Cheers folks
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5455.50
ra2289305.50
      08-25-2020, 09:17 PM   #53
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

We'll get you out a V2. Take some pics during the install, it's not going to be subtle. Glad you're well on your way towards the rebuild.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #54
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Thanks Doc,
We appreciate the follow up pix. That's pretty catastrophic...only part of a rod cap left. That's a ton of shrapnel in the pan.
-TJ
      08-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #55
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Hiya guys,
Sorry for the delay in all this. Part of the issue is that the carcass of my car was sold to a close friend who just completed the autopsy. Entire engine is trashed and he has sourced a donor engine and will be installing and reconnecting in the next week. I don't have the time or interest in doing so.

Things we noted.
1. You guys are correct in that there was no obvious valve damage except in the destroyed cylinder
2. Both the head and block were destroyed beyond salvage
3. Obviously I was not logging when failure happened

4. I had the VTT V1 spline lock. Pictures to follow show another example of flattened splines with no bite onto crank shaft. The black marking you see were easily wiped off with a finger Chris has generously offered to provide replacement

5. I suppose I will never know the answer to the chicken or egg question. Did the rod fail first? Or did a detonation etc cause the rod to fail

6. As far as the tune...my logs always looked good with all fuel sources. It could have been a hot tune? Could have been a methanol failure? I suppose it is all speculation.

I promise you guys I have no special agreement with anyone lol.

At this point, due to a lack of enthusiasm on my part for the upcoming BMW models, and the fact that I have done the "M Thing" for the last 14 years, I am planning on trying something different and grabbing one of the Corvette Z06s when they are released.

Cheers folks
I hear you with the Vette. I'm not really a fan of any American made cars. That being said, Z06 I may have to look at. Just wish it was AWD, LOL. I'm praying the ZR-1 will have that option=). How sweet would that be!! Mid-engine ZR-1 750 horse stock, 10 speed DCT and AWD. That would be SICK! GTR, move over
Appreciate 0