GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #89
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
thanks, and how do you actually turn it on and off?

When I turn on my car, the M Performance words pop up, then the screen turns off. Do you have to turn it on every time?
You do have to turn it on every time. You do so with long presses of both buttons simulateously
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      12-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #90
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
You do have to turn it on every time. You do so with long presses of both buttons simulateously
so you turn it on every time, then you select the feature you want to use?

So basically it's this?:

1. Turn it on - long press both buttons
2. Scroll the menu and find the feature I want to us - short press right/left button to highlight the feature
3. Select the feature - long right press
      12-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #91
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so you turn it on every time, then you select the feature you want to use?

So basically it's this?:

1. Turn it on - long press both buttons
2. Scroll the menu and find the feature I want to us - short press right/left button to highlight the feature
3. Select the feature - long right press
That's mostly right. The long right press will either bring you down a level in the menu node or select a value if you're at the end of a node. i.e. if you're trying to set the RPM at which your wheel "red lines", you'll use long right presses to get to the settings window, then use short left/right presses to find the RPM you want, finally a long right press will "accept" the RPM selected prior to the long press.

Then you use long left presses to back out of that settings screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #92
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's mostly right. The long right press will either bring you down a level in the menu node or select a value if you're at the end of a node. i.e. if you're trying to set the RPM at which your wheel "red lines", you'll use long right presses to get to the settings window, then use short left/right presses to find the RPM you want, finally a long right press will "accept" the RPM selected prior to the long press.

thanks, so I just played with this. I was able to adjust the redline lights. However, it appears after I've adjusted my desired RPMs, I must stay on the same screen to actually have the light work? If I "accept" the RPM selected, then I left long press, I exit the menu, and the lights don't show up (I tested it with 2000 RPMs)

What about the others (g-meter, mpg and oil temp)? When I go into the g-meter screen, it allows me to short press it to set something. And how do I actually activate the g-meter for the read out?
      12-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #93
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

hey, sorry to bother you, but can you help me out?

I still can't figure out how to use the features. I figured out how to toggle through the screens with the short and long presses, but I'm not sure what I'm actually doing. I figured out how to set the RPM limits for the lights, and I think some type of oil/water temp, g-meter, and efficientdynamic mpg metric.

But I don't know how to actually use it. I don't know how to put it in the mode to the g-meter to actually work, or to how me current oil/water temps as shown on the BMW youtube video.

The only thing I kind of figured out was on the same setup screen for the RPM limit, the shift lights turn on, and it reads the current RPM, but based on what I saw on the video, that's not the actual screen to show the shift lights.

Any help please? It's frustrating have such a cool wheel staring at you in the face everyday and not knowing how to use it.

Can someone just scan or photograph a few of the pages in the user manual on how to operate this thing? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-19-2017 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #94
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
hey, sorry to bother you, but can you help me out?

I still can't figure out how to use the features. I figured out how to toggle through the screens with the short and long presses, but I'm not sure what I'm actually doing. I figured out how to set the RPM limits for the lights, and I think some type of oil/water temp, g-meter, and efficientdynamic mpg metric.

But I don't know how to actually use it. I don't know how to put it in the mode to the g-meter to actually work, or to how me current oil/water temps as shown on the BMW youtube video.

The only thing I kind of figured out was on the same setup screen for the RPM limit, the shift lights turn on, and it reads the current RPM, but based on what I saw on the video, that's not the actual screen to show the shift lights.

Any help please? It's frustrating have such a cool wheel staring at you in the face everyday and not knowing how to use it.

Can someone just scan or photograph a few of the pages in the user manual on how to operate this thing? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!
I don’t have access to my car or the user manual at this time, but I’ll try to help from memory.

You sent the rpm redline so you shouldn’t need to go into the setup screen again until you want to change it.

As for the other features... there are four main menu buttons: eco mode, setup/config and one mode with a pic of a timer and one with a pic of a checkered flag... The g-Meter and temp screens are under one of those two icons. I can never remember which one.

From the main menu, go into either of those two icons (long right press) and then toggle through the sub-items until you’ve found what you want. The shift lights should still work (if the wheel is seeing engine RPMs) while in those other modes
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #95
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Reach,

Thank you for taking the time to post these steps. This discussion was a huge help guiding my swap from a stock wheel to the non-electronic MP wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:09 AM   #96
IbizaSandro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 MG/Blk

Quote:
hey, sorry to bother you, but can you help me out? Can someone just scan or photograph a few of the pages in the user manual on how to operate this thing? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!
After reading through the manual I feel your pain Flying Ace. I can't copy the whole book but these are the most important pages.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oyL...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1osX...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ik8...ew?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.
      01-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #97
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbizaSandro View Post
After reading through the manual I feel your pain Flying Ace. I can't copy the whole book but these are the most important pages.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oyL...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1osX...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ik8...ew?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I emailed BMW and after 3 weeks they emailed me the full manual
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #98
Elementality
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 BMW X5M

Looking for some advice. I followed the instructions here and installed the wheel on my 2015 F82. The wheel does it start up motions, but I cannot access menus or anything related to the wheel itself.

EDIT - Found the culprit. The buttons on the wheel weren't even connected internally.

Last edited by Elementality; 01-14-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #99
2fast4utoo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

First off,

YOU ARE THE MAN REACH!! Beign that said, the DIY is spot on. In my case I had to substitute the 18/19 CON 2 for 35/36 CON 7 also CON 3 19 matched for me also. What I did I think none have done yet is that I soldered my wires instead of using those posi taps... I just have never trusted them so I try to keep away from them, judging from a lot of folks having issues here with the operation I bet my ass that is because of those damn posi taps... My car is a daily driver so I will definitely report if I run into some issues myself. Thanks again Reach...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #100
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Hey folks,

bought a wheel second hand and i think i got some work to do, i've provided a picture of the wiring and i know i need to repin some of these. i also need help finding out what sockets i am missing so i can buy some from the dealership. can anyone help me identify the wires in my picture?

zoomed in

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #101
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
Hey folks,

bought a wheel second hand and i think i got some work to do, i've provided a picture of the wiring and i know i need to repin some of these. i also need help finding out what sockets i am missing so i can buy some from the dealership. can anyone help me identify the wires in my picture?

zoomed in

Maybe i'm off topic. I bought used one without wires. Steering wheel works but not for race display.

There's anywhere can i get wires and control unit?

Asked dealer they said there's no control unit for sale
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #102
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Maybe i'm off topic. I bought used one without wires. Steering wheel works but not for race display.

There's anywhere can i get wires and control unit?

Asked dealer they said there's no control unit for sale
i think you're out of luck bud.. they only sell all that stuff together with the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #103
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

found a clear picture of the harness.. if anyone that has installed the wheel.. can you give me an idea of what sockets i need to buy to make it work?

would REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited by Johnny250; 03-21-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #104
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
Hey folks,

you don't necessarily need to use BMW connectors/sockets since all your wiring will basically be taps. any standard connector will be fine. for series connection, you will need to cut the individual wires further up the main wire loom, attach connectors on both ends, then attach them to the wheel harness accordingly. it may be possible to just tap some of them in parallel, but off the top of my head, i don't know which ones are possible.

iirc, the only socket required is the one that goes into the wheel control unit and another for the optional external timing device. the rest of the wiring at the FEM and wheel that required re-pinning was to attach either a series or parallel connector while maintaining the factory pins to easily return it to stock.
Appreciate 1
Johnny2501041.00
      03-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #105
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

I didn't DIY. But just had my dealership put on the electronic steering wheel-thanks to Alex from Autocouture. But it looks like the dealer might not install it right. After I turn on the steering by simultaneously press the LL and RR, it is always on the g force meter, I don't know how to get out of that and return to the main screen as I want to set up the rpm. If I press the L, it goes to lap timer, and that's it. I tried many combinations of L and R and nothing else. Does any one know how to return the main menu? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #106
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywham View Post
I didn't DIY. But just had my dealership put on the electronic steering wheel-thanks to Alex from Autocouture. But it looks like the dealer might not install it right. After I turn on the steering by simultaneously press the LL and RR, it is always on the g force meter, I don't know how to get out of that and return to the main screen as I want to set up the rpm. If I press the L, it goes to lap timer, and that's it. I tried many combinations of L and R and nothing else. Does any one know how to return the main menu? Thanks
what does the manual say?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #107
Deleted-User
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Random question for everyone. Since this removes the Heated Steering Wheel option, did you guys go as far as removing the button / control module and replacing the lower cowling to delete it completely?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #108
kdu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Great tutorial but looks like pics are not loading anymore. Bump in case the original poster is able to update.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #109
Deleted-User
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdu3 View Post
Great tutorial but looks like pics are not loading anymore. Bump in case the original poster is able to update.
I saved most of the original images, hit me up if you’re looking for anything specific.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #110
one2three4
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by netinvader View Post
I saved most of the original images, hit me up if you’re looking for anything specific.
Hi, I need some help with installing this M performance electronic steering wheel. I was able to reach the step of going into the FEM module and hooking up the harness wires but I'm stuck after that because I can't figure out where to connect the other end of cable that goes to the steering column. I'm starting to wonder if I got sent the wrong wiring harness or if there's something else I'm missing.

If you can, please post pics or send me any pictures you have of your harness (connected and/or unconnected) so that I can compare it to mine. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0