Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #67
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

i just noticed that i do have text tone notifications on my carplay. previously i didnt have the tone notification and only the banner on the screen.

i believe once i updated my firmware to NBTevo_P, this enabled my CarPlay text tone notifications. if i'm in carplay mode and listening to any app ie Pandora, Spoitfy.. if i get a text now i see the banner and hear the text tones coming from my stereo.

this is just awesome .. i've been trying to figure this out for a few weeks and just realized it was resolved from updating the idrive firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I am not using the ATT WiFi in my car (my trial period expired long ago). I just have my phone paired to the car, with CarPlay active (which is via both Wifi and Bluetooth) in accordance with the standard phone pairing procedure. I am not sure what the problem could be. But it probably is some single "check box" setting deep in the phone some place that is causing this issue for you - I know it can be very frustating trying to find those little easter eggs. Have you updated your iDrive to the latest software from the BMW Update site? Those updates are designed to address bugs like this with different phone models.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Waze can be a bit squirly as well. When not in navigate mode, I have gone by some known sites and/or passed by police notifications on the screen which should have triggered an audible and visual alert, but it did not. I would say my "hit rate" with getting an audible alert with Waze when it is not in Navigate mode is maybe 60-70% as my best, non-scientific swag...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #68
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
i just noticed that i do have text tone notifications on my carplay. previously i didnt have the tone notification and only the banner on the screen.

i believe once i updated my firmware to NBTevo_P, this enabled my CarPlay text tone notifications. if i'm in carplay mode and listening to any app ie Pandora, Spoitfy.. if i get a text now i see the banner and hear the text tones coming from my stereo.

this is just awesome .. i've been trying to figure this out for a few weeks and just realized it was resolved from updating the idrive firmware.
I don't think your software update had anything to do with hearing an audible notification when you get a text. I think it has to do with the "silent" switch on the side of your phone. In my case, I usually keep my phone in silent mode 99% of the time (using the switch on the side of my iPhone 6s). One day I had silent mode turned off and I noticed I an audible tone from the car speakers when I got a text - the same text tone I would hear on my phone when not connected to the car. Unfortunately, I could not figure a way to keep my phone on silent mode and still hear an audible notification when I get a text when in the car.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #69
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think your software update had anything to do with hearing an audible notification when you get a text. I think it has to do with the "silent" switch on the side of your phone. In my case, I usually keep my phone in silent mode 99% of the time (using the switch on the side of my iPhone 6s). One day I had silent mode turned off and I noticed I an audible tone from the car speakers when I got a text - the same text tone I would hear on my phone when not connected to the car. Unfortunately, I could not figure a way to keep my phone on silent mode and still hear an audible notification when I get a text when in the car.
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's related to the firmware update. I'll try this in silent and non silent mode and compare the results.

The thing is, I never put my phone in silent mode. I just either leave it in my pocket in normal mode and or set it in the armrest wireless charger as I hate the phone sliding around. 😇
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #70
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Jmciver,

Okay I think I figured out the text tone notification with CarPlay issue. I was able to get text tone notifications only when I have a destination set on either Apple, Google or Waze maps. There is something enabling the text tone notifications when you set a destination. It still works if you mute the guidance. As long as your destination is set, I'm able to get text tone notifications coming out of my speakers.

I often enable one of these maps when I drive somewhere like work .. so I'm notified if there is an accident and it will re-route me to the fastest route.

Give it a try. Also I'm not sure if this is a nbtevo_p thing or will it work on all other versions ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #71
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Jmciver,

Okay I think I figured out the text tone notification with CarPlay issue. I was able to get text tone notifications only when I have a destination set on either Apple, Google or Waze maps. There is something enabling the text tone notifications when you set a destination. It still works if you mute the guidance. As long as your destination is set, I'm able to get text tone notifications coming out of my speakers.

I often enable one of these maps when I drive somewhere like work .. so I'm notified if there is an accident and it will re-route me to the fastest route.

Give it a try. Also I'm not sure if this is a nbtevo_p thing or will it work on all other versions ?
Interesting.... As I mentioned before, the only time I heard the text notification was when the silent mode button was "off" on my phone. However, I never thought about the piece you brought up about being in Navigation mode (with either Apple, Waze or Google). I usually have Waze navigating in the background to provide ETA info due to heavy traffic in my area (even if I know exactly where I am going). I will play around with it a bit more to see if I can better pinpoint when/how I can consistently get an audible text notification. Although, it would not surprise me if there are some differences in functionality due to the phone model, my 6S vs your X, even though they are running the same iOS software.

Incidentally, I just recently updated my car's software at the dealer (a few days ago actually). I now have NBT_EVO_P so it will be interesting to see if there are any functionality changes regarding this.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #72
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I hate it specifically because when you switch apps on your phone, it switches it on the head unit as well to whatever app. Like if you're using waze for example and then you switch to spotify to change songs it just takes the waze off the screen. Besides that it isn't that bad tbh
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #73
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
I hate that I can't just load whatever app I want... and that I can't use hangouts through the head unit with voice to text/tts.

hoping that an update to the CarBridge app and a root for IOS 12.1/12.2 will help with some of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #74
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I hate that I can't just load whatever app I want... and that I can't use hangouts through the head unit with voice to text/tts.

hoping that an update to the CarBridge app and a root for IOS 12.1/12.2 will help with some of this.
Holding out for CarBridge also. NGXPlay is rumored to work with Plex at this time.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #75
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

what is the current jailbreakable ios? i'm currently on ios 12.2.1. i use to use NGXPlay for waze before it was available on ios12. but it was very buggy. hows the current version of NGXPlay and Carbridge?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #76
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
There are no IOS 12 jailbreaks yet, so you'd have to go back to 11.
One will likely be coming out soon for 12.1.2 and older.

I heard that CarBridge was pretty good on 11, but I've never tried it... my phone is at 12.1.2 and i blocked updates after reading about the upcoming 12.1 break.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #77
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Jailbreak was released ~2 weeks ago for up to iOS12.1.2. No Cydia support yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/c...s_and_updates/

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #78
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
There are no IOS 12 jailbreaks yet, so you'd have to go back to 11.
One will likely be coming out soon for 12.1.2 and older.

I heard that CarBridge was pretty good on 11, but I've never tried it... my phone is at 12.1.2 and i blocked updates after reading about the upcoming 12.1 break.

currently 12.1.4 is available.. but i'll hold out for 12.1.2 jailbreak and give CarBridge and NXGPlay a try again. nothing like burning unlimited data in your car
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #79
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Has anyone else here found how to fix the low volume on Carplay apps/calls in comparison to the BMW Media? Specifically if I load Pandora I have to crank the volume to get it at the same level as say my Satellite Radio and then if I switch back the sound is crazy high and I have to turn it down again.

I've read other threads where this is a common problem and apparently not fixed. Some have suggested increasing bluetooth volume but I'm away travelling and haven't tried this yet. Is that the quick fix? Seems silly.
      12-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #80
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Thread revival. Quick question. I just Started using CarPlay and Waze will not "send" out any audio alerts (cops, potholes etc etc...) through my speakers in carplay mode.

Is there a way to alleviate this issue? I drive with Waze all the time but hardly use it for navigation and I want the alerts to continue to come through my speakers without having to "navigate" every time get in the car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #81
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Thread revival. Quick question. I just Started using CarPlay and Waze will not "send" out any audio alerts (cops, potholes etc etc...) through my speakers in carplay mode.

Is there a way to alleviate this issue? I drive with Waze all the time but hardly use it for navigation and I want the alerts to continue to come through my speakers without having to "navigate" every time get in the car.

Thanks.
This has been an issue I have had with Waze for some time, and I don't know if it is either Apple, BMW or a combination of both that is the cause for the issue.

But... If you are actively navigating in Waze, you should hear all Waze alerts. If you are not actively navigating in Waze, I have found that the alerts are hit or miss. However, if I go from actively navigating to not navigating in Waze, the Waze alerts will usually still come through. I can't pinpoint what would be the issue for the inconsistency though.....

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #82
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
This has been an issue I have had with Waze for some time, and I don't know if it is either Apple, BMW or a combination of both that is the cause for the issue.

But... If you are actively navigating in Waze, you should hear all Waze alerts. If you are not actively navigating in Waze, I have found that the alerts are hit or miss. However, if I go from actively navigating to not navigating in Waze, the Waze alerts will usually still come through. I can't pinpoint what would be the issue for the inconsistency though.....
Thanks for the reply. CarPlay is hit or miss as far as I'm concerned. I just started using it. I had it on a Audi rental and it sucked big time so I didn't even set it up in our 2 BMWs but decided to give it a shot recently. I like Waze on the iDrive screen but everything else seems better in iDrive (music etc etc....).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #83
QMoney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82

IMHO, Apple CarPlay has been nothing short of spectacular. I've been using it since 2016 and will not buy a vehicle that doesn't have it.

I believe everyone who dislikes it is either a boomer or doesn't understand how to fully utilize it. My only cons of Apple CarPlay on my 2018 M4 ZCP is that it's not full screen, and that it doesn't show the navigation on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #84
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMoney View Post
IMHO, Apple CarPlay has been nothing short of spectacular. I've been using it since 2016 and will not buy a vehicle that doesn't have it.

I believe everyone who dislikes it is either a boomer or doesn't understand how to fully utilize it. My only cons of Apple CarPlay on my 2018 M4 ZCP is that it's not full screen, and that it doesn't show the navigation on the HUD.
You can easily get it to be full screen.

For all those wanting full screen apple carplay... https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1563454
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #85
QMoney
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:

For all those wanting full screen apple carplay... https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1563454
I would have to upgrade my firmware and pay someone to flash the full screen coding. Wished it came full screen from the factory like every other car manufacturer out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #86
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would have to upgrade my firmware and pay someone to flash the full screen coding. Wished it came full screen from the factory like every other car manufacturer out there.
Gotcha. I'm not sure I even like full screen. My wife's X3 has it and my M4 has split screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:27 AM   #87
shadowant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hi,
Same issue with retrofitted NBT EVO version Q on my F48 - no imessage alert in CarPlay.

Any news? Does anybody flashed to version U? I-Step 20-03-540.

P.S. when entrynav2 was installed with 17-07-504 - all was OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #88
e30m3fan
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & M4

Quote:

100% agree. Not buying a car moving forward that doesn't include this. And Apple continues to improve it annually with each iOS update. Obviously iDive is no longer being updated for our cars so that functionality is forever baked in now.

I just told the dealer I was having CarPlay disconnects frequently (it wasn't) and they updated the firmware to the latest version for free during an oil change visit.

Buy an OBD to ethernet adapter from Amazon / eBay and pay someone for the code / instructions on how to update the car to full screen. It took about 10 minutes in the garage one evening. With the last 2 iOS updates (13 and now 14) for the iPhone Apple has also taken advantage of wider screens.
Appreciate 0