GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Question ZCP Engine Map: Purchasing FSC Kit from Dealership?

I've been told it's apparently something dealerships can do despite most (all?) of them being unaware they can sell this.

Does anyone have further insight?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
I've been told it's apparently something dealerships can do despite most (all?) of them being unaware they can sell this.

Does anyone have further insight?
I would like to know this as well. For the price of an exhaust you could effectively upgrade the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt View Post
I would like to know this as well. For the price of an exhaust you could effectively upgrade the whole car.
I'm specifically asking about the DME map FSC alone. Perhaps you're curious about an entire ZCP retrofit (sways/springs/seats/wheels/map/exhaust)... but hopefully both our curiosities will be sated.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm specifically asking about the DME map FSC alone. Perhaps you're curious about an entire ZCP retrofit (sways/springs/seats/wheels/map/exhaust)... but hopefully both our curiosities will be sated.
I'm with you. I'm just talking about the software. I could care less about the seat belts etc. I asked my salesman (an M enthusiast himself) last Friday about this and have yet to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Nope... not possible...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Nope... not possible...
Without basis, your contribution lacks value. Care to expound on your position?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
evolmotorsprt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
Yes the FSC can be purchased and attached to your vehicle order. I can order it but suggested it is done through the dealership if you have concerns of warranty. Now some dealerships are dumb and will tell you they can not do it, you will need to find a dealer who knows or is willing to look into it.
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to Alex@Alpine, but he is the only one who has mentioned this. Can anyone else expand on this?

Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 02-13-2017 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to Alex@Alpine
Agreed but I haven't been able to find a sole data point confirming.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the FSC can be purchased and attached to your vehicle order. I can order it but suggested it is done through the dealership if you have concerns of warranty. Now some dealerships are dumb and will tell you they can not do it, you will need to find a dealer who knows or is willing to look into it.
I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to Alex@Alpine
Thank you.

Yes the FSC for ZCP can be ordered & attached to the vehicles order (making the car a factory comp car.)

I can order the FSC through BMW. This will make the vehicle a competition package vehicle & recognized by the dealership.

However this should be done through the dealership. The reason being is I am guessing whoever wants to pay the big bucks ($5K+) is doing so to avoid problems with warranty. If you do it outside of the dealership they will put an argument up that it was done by a 3rd party and could cause you problems with warranty.

I know most of you have called and the dealer says no, here is the reason...the parts department has to locate the part # and after ordering it properly download it & hand it over to service who will then upload it into the vehicle & perform proper update session.

Parts department guys are normally new or do not feel like taking the extra steps to do so.

You would contact your service advisor who will contact parts department to see if it is possible, and after they will ask the tech to see if he is comfortable doing it. As you can see you just need 1 no to get turned down, and I do not blame them, anything goes wrong they are out thousands.

Tischer BMW should have no problems doing this as they list many of the performance retrofits for other models on their site. But not many live by them.

If you pressure your local dealership enough they will surely do it for you, but I am not sure why you would want to pay almost 10% the value of the car for a small power increase unless it's a lifelong keeper.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Thank you.

Yes the FSC for ZCP can be ordered & attached to the vehicles order (making the car a factory comp car.)

I can order the FSC through BMW. This will make the vehicle a competition package vehicle & recognized by the dealership.

However this should be done through the dealership. The reason being is I am guessing whoever wants to pay the big bucks ($5K+) is doing so to avoid problems with warranty. If you do it outside of the dealership they will put an argument up that it was done by a 3rd party and could cause you problems with warranty.

I know most of you have called and the dealer says no, here is the reason...the parts department has to locate the part # and after ordering it properly download it & hand it over to service who will then upload it into the vehicle & perform proper update session.

Parts department guys are normally new or do not feel like taking the extra steps to do so.

You would contact your service advisor who will contact parts department to see if it is possible, and after they will ask the tech to see if he is comfortable doing it. As you can see you just need 1 no to get turned down, and I do not blame them, anything goes wrong they are out thousands.

Tischer BMW should have no problems doing this as they list many of the performance retrofits for other models on their site. But not many live by them.

If you pressure your local dealership enough they will surely do it for you, but I am not sure why you would want to pay almost 10% the value of the car for a small power increase unless it's a lifelong keeper.

You know a FSC is not attached to the VO, so that's not correct. You can't buy just a FSC and Flash the ZCP Software... negative. There is no one ZCP retrofit so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Quote:
Thank you.

You know a FSC is not attached to the VO, so that's not correct. You can't buy just a FSC and Flash the ZCP Software... negative. There is no one ZCP retrofit so far.
I do not understand why you want to get technical on such a small thing. The FSC is attached to the vehicles bundle FSC bundle (part of the vehicle's order) & comp package is added to the vehicles order (7MA.)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

I do not want to get into a back & forth with you @Figurka but almost everything is offered through BMW's aftermarket sales portal.

Many competition retrofit F10s have been done in the past in Europe, I have seen one competition package f82 retrofit also in Kuwait.

The FSC comes with a new vehicle order (file) that is uploaded into the dealers computer with the FSC file (ISTA P) measure plan is carried out and the retrofit (software) is complete.

Ask around, ask the guys on the forums you consider your top sources who have access to such. Contact Tischer. You want to catch me on technical terms, small details does not mean it does not exist.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

So even if I can find a dealership with some degree of a clue, I will most likely never be able to convince then to JUST sell and email me the FSC alone.

Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Market vacuum for the Russians to fill I suppose.

Man I wonder how their exploit/back door works, or if they've just got the right keys on isolated systems...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
elmerzasty
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80

If the retrofit exists, there should be a part number for it, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerzasty View Post
If the retrofit exists, there should be a part number for it, right?
I think it'd be a better litmus test to dig into ISTA-P to see if there's a retrofit routine already inbuilt.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

I can't think of a worse way to spend $5k+ of modding cash.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #18
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I can't think of a worse way to spend $5k+ of modding cash.
Sure, that's why an FSC at what I'd wager to be a sub-$5k price would be a good option for those who just want a "safest possible option" stage-oneish map.

I'd never pay $5k for just the engine map; only corner cases would.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sure, that's why an FSC at what I'd wager to be a sub-$5k price would be a good option for those who just want a "safest possible option" stage-oneish map.

I'd never pay $5k for just the engine map; only corner cases would.
If you're not getting the FSC code above-board at a dealership, including the associated BMW warranty, I'm not sure at what price it becomes worthwhile. $200? $300? I wouldn't spend more on a near non-existent power bump (albeit with many other improvements over the non-ZCP calibration).

That's just my position. I'm sure there are guys that would fork over the coin to get a factory calibration that's an improvement over the base model.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #20
packetpilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there are guys that would fork over the coin to get a factory calibration that's an improvement over the base model.
I (as do most people who want it) have got factory calibration improvement other than the power bump, with the exception of steering, which I'm taking from the M2CS.

As far as warranty goes, it's debatable whether it'd pose a justifiable fit, but that's beyond scope here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I (as do most people who want it) have got factory calibration improvement other than the power bump, with the exception of steering, which I'm taking from the M2CS.

As far as warranty goes, it's debatable whether it'd pose a justifiable fit, but that's beyond scope here.
Yeah, and I as well. Non-DME improvements are another matter. Actual engine performance recalibration for improved performance though... if I'm paying anything, it better make a tangible difference. I think we're saying the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #22
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
If you're not getting the FSC code above-board at a dealership, including the associated BMW warranty, I'm not sure at what price it becomes worthwhile. $200? $300? I wouldn't spend more on a near non-existent power bump (albeit with many other improvements over the non-ZCP calibration).

That's just my position. I'm sure there are guys that would fork over the coin to get a factory calibration that's an improvement over the base model.
Some people want it purely for the Features, others also want the modest bump in Power.

While the advertised numbers from BMW are not all that impressive (only 19HP / 0TQ)
the revised calibrations in regards to the boost control, cam timing, and ignition timing
tables definitely yield better results than the power figures suggest.

That being said, I would estimate that 80% of our ZCP Stage Level Software customers
end up considering an upgrade to Stage ONE at one point or another.

Dollar-per-horsepower does come into consideration, and for some people horsepower
is an addiction. Anyone who would seriously consider the factory upgrade for roughly
$5,000 would more than likely be focused on warranty above all else.
Appreciate 0