proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #67
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The skill and knowledge required to properly tune a car is very different from the skill and knowledge required to code. Knowing how to code doesn't mean you know how to tune. He's been selling his e9x tune for a few years yet still not a single dyno posted showing whether the tune makes the claimed power (whp or chp?) or AFR vs RPM.

Your Apple example isn't even remotely the same thing - they spend years engineering and developing a new product before its release. Throwing a few "switches" without dyno tuning and data logging and then calling it a tune isn't even close to being a developed product.
I may be misunderstanding what is happening here but I thought all that was being offered was a CP file for non CP cars, a CS file for non CS cars and a GatS file for Non GTS cars. These are not the factory tunes from BMW?

I thought .5, 1, and 2 were the above with the exception being a 2+ which is a factory GTS tune with some modifications added and keeping in place all factory safe guards.

If it is a factory file I don’t see how that’s the same as needing a dyno to be a full tuner to be a safe file.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #68
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
Few months we were told that we can't have CP tune because you have to buy the files or ECU whatsoever from dealership and it cost $17k+.

How come now you're offering cp, CS, and GTS ?
This has been answered by BPM how they are able to trick the cars into accepting the tunes via OBDII.

Few months ago we never even thought flashing over OBDII was going to be possible.

Nevertheless not sure if these OEM tunes are just reverse engineered or actual BMW tunes.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #69
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Nevertheless not sure if these OEM tunes are just reverse engineered or actual BMW tunes.
Yeah I think that’s the question we are waiting on.
Appreciate 1
jlhymb44.00
      12-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #70
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrlM3 View Post
They can't be based on tune HP numbers in the OP:

CP 19 peak chp over non-CP vs. 20 chp (?) tune (maybe?)

CS 29 peak chp over non-CP & 10 peak chp over CP vs. 50 chp (?) tune (definitely not OEM)

GTS has 68 peak chp over non-CP vs. 70 chp (?) tune (Supposedly boost hasn't been increased over stock non-GTS in tune but GTS has 3 psi over non-CP and water injection. Without water injection, GTS peak power reduces to CP peak power. Can't be OEM).

OP also states "OEM like".
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #71
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
Few months we were told that we can't have CP tune because you have to buy the files or ECU whatsoever from dealership and it cost $17k+.

How come now you're offering cp, CS, and GTS ?
What is being offered here is an aftermarket solution to tune the vehicles.

The price you are quoting I am guessing is for a full factory conversion to a CP car. IE suspension, wheels and factory motor flash. This would be done through the actual dealership and the vehicle would be registered as a CP car. I know just the FSC that allows you to officially flash the motor to CP is around $5,000.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #72
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding what is happening here but I thought all that was being offered was a CP file for non CP cars, a CS file for non CS cars and a GatS file for Non GTS cars. These are not the factory tunes from BMW?

I thought .5, 1, and 2 were the above with the exception being a 2+ which is a factory GTS tune with some modifications added and keeping in place all factory safe guards.

If it is a factory file I don’t see how that’s the same as needing a dyno to be a full tuner to be a safe file.
Nothing in this thread would support that assertion. Candidly, IMHO he would be better off if these were bonafide OEM CP, CS and GTS files and not "OEM like".
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #73
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Quote:

Nothing in this thread would support that assertion. Candidly, IMHO he would be better off if these were bonafide OEM CP, CS and GTS files and not "OEM like".
I am sure most would understand why you can't say/offer a full on copy.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #74
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

When do you expect to have more in stock? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #75
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
When do you expect to have more in stock? Thanks.
1-2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:56 PM   #76
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep sounds like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #77
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
This has been answered by BPM how they are able to trick the cars into accepting the tunes via OBDII.

Few months ago we never even thought flashing over OBDII was going to be possible.

Quote:
They are reverse engineered. They compare the changes a stock CS map has to a non-zcp map and apply those same changes to the tables on your stock non-zcp file and the end result is a CS tune. That's how CS maps have been installed on a 6MT car when a CS never came with a 6MT.

The end result is the same now given that you are able to unlock and flash via OBDII.

Just a month ago it was a different story when you couldn't unlock via OBDII. Some people wanted OEM BMW ZCP tunes, but didn't want to have their DME pulled out and opened to get unlocked. So their only option was by paying the insane premium to get an authentic FSC code. But now since you can unlock via OBDII, reverse engineering the map and flashing via OBD achieves the same result with a fraction of the cost.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:30 PM   #78
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Quote:

Quote:
They are reverse engineered. They compare the changes a stock CS map has to a non-zcp map and apply those same changes to the tables on your stock non-zcp file and the end result is a CS tune. That's how CS maps have been installed on a 6MT car when a CS never came with a 6MT.

The end result is the same now given that you are able to unlock and flash via OBDII.

Just a month ago it was a different story when you couldn't unlock via OBDII. Some people wanted OEM BMW ZCP tunes, but didn't want to have their DME pulled out and opened to get unlocked. So their only option was by paying the insane premium to get an authentic FSC code. But now since you can unlock via OBDII, reverse engineering the map and flashing via OBD achieves the same result with a fraction of the cost.
Well said
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #79
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So does this mean I was right or Clark was right?

It still sounds like these are safe conservative stock like tunes. Nothing even close to unsafe custom tunes that you need a dump for.

The unlock via obd is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how the tune is loading you are still loading a stock tune, turning a non zcp car into a zcp and non CS car into a CS. I would imagine this is the same as what happens with the steering, or edc.

A simple toggle, / copy paste? Yes?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #80
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
So does this mean I was right or Clark was right?

It still sounds like these are safe conservative stock like tunes. Nothing even close to unsafe custom tunes that you need a dump for.

The unlock via obd is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter how the tune is loading you are still loading a stock tune, turning a non zcp car into a zcp and non CS car into a CS. I would imagine this is the same as what happens with the steering, or edc.

A simple toggle, / copy paste? Yes?
until you get to stage 2+... i think you're correct. my understanding is stage 2+ is where the boost gets increased, at least that's my understanding...

def seems to be on the conservative, OEM side of things for the most part... but thats what Alex has mentioned from the start
      01-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #81
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
until you get to stage 2+... i think you're correct. my understanding is stage 2+ is where the boost gets increased, at least that's my understanding...

def seems to be on the conservative, OEM side of things for the most part... but thats what Alex has mentioned from the start
Which I get people can be worried about blowing the motor and stuff with the stage 2+ but otherwise it’s just BMW tunes so there’s no need to be concerned about .5-2. But I’m sure someone can argue “you should always be concerned”
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #82
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Which I get people can be worried about blowing the motor and stuff with the stage 2+ but otherwise it’s just BMW tunes so there’s no need to be concerned about .5-2. But I’m sure someone can argue “you should always be concerned”
I’d probably be more concerned with blowing the motor on poor quality fuel than anything else. There was some guy on here who damaged his motor on ACN 91 on a stock car. Although as long as the knock tables are not modified, it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

You’ll be surprised how much timing gets pulled on just a stock map on 91/93 octane.

I’d feel safer running a low boost ethanol map with an ethanol meter just for the peace of mind that octane wouldn’t be an issue.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
whoop_ass355.00
      01-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #83
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Quote:

Oh sure, and I guess the value here is the ppl that want to play relatively safe, can still get more power... the ppl that want to be completely safe still can get an "OEM" bump... and the ppl that want an absolute monster can look at other vendors tunes...
      01-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #84
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh sure, and I guess the value here is the ppl that want to play relatively safe, can still get more power... the ppl that want to be completely safe still can get an "OEM" bump... and the ppl that want an absolute monster can look at other vendors tunes...
That was my thought but sounded like a bunch of people bum rushed in here fear monger omg about not having full dyno maps for stock tunes and upgrades. I don’t get it...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #85
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
That was my thought but sounded like a bunch of people bum rushed in here fear monger omg about not having full dyno maps for stock tunes and upgrades. I don’t get it...
You're mischaracterizing what transpired. No one bum rushed and there was no fear mongering. Requesting data and asking a series of questions for a new product/service is table stakes as far as I'm concerned. If questions aren't answered in a satisfactory manner that typically breeds more questions. There's nothing to "get". It's very simple.

These inquiries are valid irrespective of the tune being "OEM-like" or not. It appears you're intimating we should just trust Alex and simply hand over our monies, no questions asked for a product/service he's never provided before for this platform. And that's absolutely no disrespect to Alex as he has a sterling reputation on the forums. What transpired was basic consumer due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #86
EstrlM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're mischaracterizing what transpired. No one bum rushed and there was no fear mongering. Requesting data and asking a series of questions for a new product/service is table stakes as far as I'm concerned. If questions aren't answered in a satisfactory manner that typically breeds more questions. There's nothing to "get". It's very simple.

These inquiries are valid irrespective of the tune being "OEM-like" or not. It appears you're intimating we should just trust Alex and simply hand over our monies, no questions asked for a product/service he's never provided before for this platform. And that's absolutely no disrespect to Alex as he has a sterling reputation on the forums. What transpired was basic consumer due diligence.
I was insinuating that someone can be trusted based on reputation for a safe "factory like" tune. I wasn't trying to say anyone should blindly trust but lets not conflate "custom dyno tune" and needing to see maps with something that uses stock BMW tunes as a blueprint.

It's overkill. I thinkl everyone should be able to see the info but to freak out about not having it 48 hours after it's asked for over the Christmas / New Years holiday week is silly. Most people don't even work that week.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #87
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
I was insinuating that someone can be trusted based on reputation for a safe "factory like" tune. I wasn't trying to say anyone should blindly trust but lets not conflate "custom dyno tune" and needing to see maps with something that uses stock BMW tunes as a blueprint.

It's overkill. I thinkl everyone should be able to see the info but to freak out about not having it 48 hours after it's asked for over the Christmas / New Years holiday week is silly. Most people don't even work that week.
The reason I believe many asked for it was because Alex said it was tuned by him.

Also I believe few other vendors already posted their graphs.

Nevertheless, I hope all these OEM tunes or otherwise from vendors are viable as more options we have the better.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #88
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Is there any option to get startup roar/burble without hp bump? Or is the CP tune the most conservative option?
Appreciate 0