Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-06-2017, 03:00 AM   #23
DandyKing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
Thank you for the input. I have bootmod3 should be worried about taking it in? Do you think the tune had something to do with it ?
I wouldnt be worried. They wouldnt be checking out ECU i gave the service guy a heads up and he was like no worries. They lifted car, did a walk around with me and thats when we spotted the leak. I have Hex Tune and no he said it had to do with something kicking up and breaking line. And to be honest i had noticed spots in parking spots before i even tuned car but figure it was the beaters around me leaving them.
Appreciate 1
hdubf80143.50
      02-06-2017, 03:01 AM   #24
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyKing View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the input. I have bootmod3 should be worried about taking it in? Do you think the tune had something to do with it ?
I wouldnt be worried. They wouldnt be checking out ECU i gave the service guy a heads up and he was like no worries. They lifted car, did a walk around with me and thats when we spotted the leak. I have Hex Tune and no he said it had to do with something kicking up and breaking line. And to be honest i had noticed spots in parking spots before i even tuned car but figure it was the beaters around me leaving them.
Interesting. I'll have to check this out too. Thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I called crevier my dealer in socal and notified one of the "chili service" guys about my problem and that I'm modded and he warned me that I'm gonna get flagged. I still don't know what the problem could be at this point it's more of an annoyance than drivability related. I just don't know what to do and deeply appreciate any help form you guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #26
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
Quote:
So I called crevier my dealer in socal and notified one of the "chili service" guys about my problem and that I'm modded and he warned me that I'm gonna get flagged. I still don't know what the problem could be at this point it's more of an annoyance than drivability related. I just don't know what to do and deeply appreciate any help form you guys.
Are you running a JB4 or anything that clears the codes? If not, does it throw any codes when scanned?

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #27
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
Quote:
Are you running a JB4 or anything that clears the codes? If not, does it throw any codes when scanned?
I'm running bootmod3 I haven't scanned for codes. I'm just pissed that they would flag my car over and injector issue
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #28
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. Took the car to the dealer and had it diagnosed, they ended up deciding that the high pressure fuel pumps needed to be replaced. Both have been replaced and now the car sounds as it should!

I'll be monitoring it very closely over the next couple of weeks, but I think I finally have a resolution.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #29
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

I have the same noise I'm going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #30
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

I definitely did my best to get this issue resolved, visited the dealership on 4 different occasions just to explain the issue and try to make a diagnose.

BMW Benelux eventually had a look and concluded nothing was wrong. They sadly checked on a very warm day, and as some of you guys know from experience, only colder temps magnifies the issue.

So all I got is an email stating they took note of my complaint and found nothing wrong. They never answered my question what's causing the noise... so may I conclude they either don't know what's wrong or simply can't be bothered opening up the engine, replacing all lifters and valves... just because one lifter is ticking.

This experience got me thinking, imagine if something goes wrong outside the warranty period, with these bunch of peeps unable to diagnose swiftly what's wrong with the car? That would be a costly time consuming nightmare.

/Ending my rant here. It's my first BMW and I honestly expected more. If someone paid 5000$ for an exhaust, which I did, they should know how one would hate a ticking BMW M engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #31
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalunit View Post
I definitely did my best to get this issue resolved, visited the dealership on 4 different occasions just to explain the issue and try to make a diagnose.

BMW Benelux eventually had a look and concluded nothing was wrong. They sadly checked on a very warm day, and as some of you guys know from experience, only colder temps magnifies the issue.

So all I got is an email stating they took note of my complaint and found nothing wrong. They never answered my question what's causing the noise... so may I conclude they either don't know what's wrong or simply can't be bothered opening up the engine, replacing all lifters and valves... just because one lifter is ticking.

This experience got me thinking, imagine if something goes wrong outside the warranty period, with these bunch of peeps unable to diagnose swiftly what's wrong with the car? That would be a costly time consuming nightmare.

/Ending my rant here. It's my first BMW and I honestly expected more. If someone paid 5000$ for an exhaust, which I did, they should know how one would hate a ticking BMW M engine.
Dude so sorry for your trouble, did they try the fuel pumps like the other people in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #32
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got mine back from the dealer and it was the serpentine belt tensioner and it sounded just like the video. Being that it was a different result and very similar sound it can be a wide variety of things.
Appreciate 1
hakcar62.50
      05-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #33
Park89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
Just got mine back from the dealer and it was the serpentine belt tensioner and it sounded just like the video. Being that it was a different result and very similar sound it can be a wide variety of things.
could you possibly share the SIB # with us? Do you not hear anymore of ticking sound? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #34
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park89 View Post
Quote:
could you possibly share the SIB # with us? Do you not hear anymore of ticking sound? Thanks in advance.
What's an sib number, and yes the noise is gone. The dealer said even they were confused the sound sounded like it was coming out of the motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #35
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
It depends on the kind of tapping noise you're hearing and where it is coming from specifically.

Direct Injection (DI) engines, such as the S55, typically have louder/noisier fuel injectors than non-DI engines. The injectors make a distinct ticking sound and are pretty consistent from one injector to the next. The result is a uniform ticking at every cylinder as that particular cylinder goes through the intake stroke and enters compression stroke, where fuel is injected and compressed.

If you're hearing a distinct tick or knock on a single cylinder, you should have it checked out. It could be a stuck/bad lifter (or another valve train issue), piston slap, wrist pin issue, rod bearing or main bearing or possibly an injector issue as well.

Engines are typically much louder when cold, keep that in mind. You should never allow an engine to idle for long periods during cold-starts. You should immediately start driving the car, obviously very easy (low throttle, no lugging, no boost), until it warms up to operating temp.

One last thing, you mentioned you have DPs installed? Have your downpipes inspected, particularly at the v-band flange and the other end, where the downpipes mate-up to the mid pipes. These areas are prone to leaking, which will cause a weird ticking sound at certain RPMs. Also, some downpipes are made with thin stainless steel and can be much louder than the stock downpipes and this can be heard as a tick-ish sound emanating from the passenger side of the engine bay as well as under the car.
Do you know why we should never allow an engine to idle for long periods during cold-starts? I usually let the car warm up around 10 minutes so that the car is warmed up before i drive. (i'm referring to when the temp outside is below freezing point) Am i doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #36
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What's an sib number, and yes the noise is gone. The dealer said even they were confused the sound sounded like it was coming out of the motor.
The service # that is on the paper which they should've gave it to you when the car is done and it explains what they did to the car to fix it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #37
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Any idea ? Carry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I certainly can, but I have a trained ear.
I will have to revive the thread since I'm hearing something similar ~ but have

no idea ~ I'm still under warranty so I will have to drop the car off for

diagnostics.

This ticking sound only happens on the light throttle from idle to about 15k

rpm.Definitely audible.

Some other members had their high-pressure fuel pump caused the sound

and some stated pulley and belts.

I would like some inputs from other members on this matter