Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
JSBhopal
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Smile F80 - Unusual Heavy Steering Feel - Now Corrected!!

Hi Folks!

Wondering if somebody can help me with this, it's quite a strange situation.

Basically, my steering started to feel significantly heavier approximately six months ago across all settings comfort, sports and sports plus. Sports plus was insane.

I didn't think much of it as I fitted 15mm spacers all around approximately one year ago and thought it was most probably due to those. I love the look of the spacers but didn't particularly like the feel of the steering anymore. I just put it down to a compromise I thought I had to live with and did just that.

So my car has been parked up for three days now, haven't used it at all until today. Temperature was about 30° out in Birmingham UK (Thats unusually warm!)

So as I was driving my car today, the steering just felt, well, normal!
I was extremely surprised that my car just felt 100% stock again, like it came from the dealer. (To the point where I actually stopped the car to get out and check in case somebody had removed the spacers!)

Just to make sure it wasn't my perception, I had my friend and my brother drive it. They two agreed that the car was significantly different and the difference was very noticeable.

I just want to try and understand what happened and how I can prevent my steering from feeling the way it was when it was heavy!

1.Was it a problem with the power steering that has all of a sudden corrected itself?
2. is the Power steering fluid that sensitive to temperature enough to cause heavy steering when its cold?
3. is this something I should be concerned about?

I just don't know!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

J
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
humbertin0
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

The only thing I can think of as a possibility is that the warm weather caused the air pressure in your tires to increase a bit. (Pressure increases as temperature increases)

An increase in air pressure would consequently lead to a decreased/smaller contact patch between the tire and the ground and potentially make the steering wheel easier to turn/rotate?!?!

i.e. A flat tire would make the steering wheel stiff and difficult to turn/rotate.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
JSBhopal
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I like the way you think humbertin0 !!

I have a habit of checking tyre pressures and yes there was a difference, but it was negligible at around 0.1-0.2 bar?

I personally don't think that was the cause unless someone is suggesting that a 0.1-0.2 difference can actually cause that big of an effect on steering weight?

J
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

When you say Sports+ was insane, are you suggesting it was very difficult to turn the steering wheel? I know that the steering gets heavier as you go from comfort to sport to sport plus, but never to the point where it becomes "insane" . There is an M5 owner who lost power steering going pretty fast around mountain turns and almost bought it. If it was "insane' I would get it checked out at dealer.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
JSBhopal
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I get that it gets heavier through the different modes. Thats totally fine that the steering weight changes.

It didn't feel as though there was not any Power assisted steering at all, but it did feel unusually heavy.

I know the right thing to do is to take it to the dealer to be 100% sure, but I currently have the spacers fitted and don't want them to blame those resulting in me incurring the costs!!

The dealer I brought my car from was pretty terrible (variety of issues!) and I feel they would look for anything to pass on the cost!

J
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

There is no "power steering fluid" in these cars. We have electric assist power steering which uses an electric motor attached directly to the steering rack. It sounds like you have a defect that may need to be addressed by the dealer. If the heavy feeling comes back I would bring it in for them to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
JSBhopal
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Appreciate the advice Bud!

Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 07:04 AM   #8
sailorpapay
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
There is no "power steering fluid" in these cars. We have electric assist power steering which uses an electric motor attached directly to the steering rack. It sounds like you have a defect that may need to be addressed by the dealer. If the heavy feeling comes back I would bring it in for them to check it out.
how you solve problem?
Appreciate 0