ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

07-23-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

tool needed to remove top mounts off GTS front suspension

Hi Guys,

For those of you who have installed GC camber plates, what tools did you use to remove the top mount nut from shock shaft (front shock).

Do you need a special socket to prevent shock shaft from spinning when loosening and tightening the nut? Torque spec is 50Nm.

I looked on the online instructions and it talks about an SW22 with ratchet and SW10. I assume these are sockets but not sure if you can use regular socket tools or these are special in some way.

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

I have not specifically done this on the GTS, but have done this on many coilover setups. You need a shock absorber tool like one of these. I assume given the 22 quoted, this is probably 22mm, which is a common size top nut.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...TGEN1_pg33.htm

There is a cutaway in the side of the socket, which allows you to place a smaller allen key or hex tool in the middle, and adjust to appropriate torque spec, whilst stopping the whole damper spinning.

You can ghetto it with a 22mm O2 sensor tool, which is similar but has a smaller slot
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

excellent thank you
Appreciate 0