proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Car Buying Anxiety

Hello All,

Figure this forum might be the best place to discuss this. I am an avid BMW fanatic and follower of a specific model. I planned a purchase and SO is fine with it. Ordered vehicle. Its about to come in but I have some anxiety with going through with the purchase.

Anyone else cope with this? What do you do?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

In what way? Is this a financial stretch type of issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
In what way? Is this a financial stretch type of issue?
I dont believe its a financial stretch, its within budget though Im partially frugal/saver .
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I suffer the same affliction! It doesn't matter if it's a $10 doohickey or a $80k car, buyer's guilt has been ingrained in me since I was a poor kid growing up in the inner city of Los Angeles. My parents were frugal when I was a young kid. By the time I was in high school, they were well-to-do but that fundamental inner frugalness never really left me.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34183.50
      06-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I suffer the same affliction! It doesn't matter if it's a $10 doohickey or a $80k car, buyer's guilt has been ingrained in me since I was a poor kid growing up in the inner city of Los Angeles. My parents were frugal when I was a young kid. By the time I was in high school, they were well-to-do but that fundamental inner frugalness never really left me.
How do you cope? Move forward? Do you get all anxious and stressed out?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwanx1 View Post
Quote:
How do you cope? Move forward? Do you get all anxious and stressed out?
I feel stressed, regret, anxiety. The best way to deal with it for me is to open up quicken. I'm an obsessive quicken user and I track all my personal and business accounts, stocks, funds etc. I open it almost every day to make sure everything is in line and money is going where it needs to go. When I say I'm obsessive, I'm really obsessive. All of my future expenses are already estimated into quicken: food, car payments, private school, taxes, accounting, groceries, all my bills, and deposits into savings accounts etc. There is almost nothing already accounted for I even have a misc monthly expense for random stuff so I know how much money I have that is completely disposable. As long as that disposable expense is more than zero I know what I can afford that will still allow me to pay all my future expenses and put enough away in savings/investments. Information is piece of mind.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34183.50
      06-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I feel stressed, regret, anxiety. The best way to deal with it for me is to open up quicken. I'm an obsessive quicken user and I track all my personal and business accounts, stocks, funds etc. I open it almost every day to make sure everything is in line and money is going where it needs to go. When I say I'm obsessive, I'm really obsessive. All of my future expenses are already estimated into quicken: food, car payments, private school, taxes, accounting, groceries, all my bills, and deposits into savings accounts etc. There is almost nothing already accounted for I even have a misc monthly expense for random stuff so I know how much money I have that is completely disposable. As long as that disposable expense is more than zero I know what I can afford that will still allow me to pay all my future expenses and put enough away in savings/investments. Information is piece of mind.
I utilize Quickbooks and a monthly expense sheet in excel. Reviewing it and talking to people close reaffirm I'm fine. Though the sense of stressed,regret,anxiety likely doesn't pass until I have the keys in hand for a few days.....

Appreciate you responding!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I get anxiety about buying cars too, especially when I know it's not really something I really need, or spending more than needed. Cars in general are a waste of money, financially.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

What is the main culprit of the anxiety? The amount of money? The reliability? The commitment? Are you worried you won't like it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

I too am frugal.

I didn't have a problem when buying it, but I do find myself every now and then thinking I should have just held off and put my money into something that returns better than negative lol. Usually taking the car for a drive kills all that anxiety, so I would recommend watching reviews?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

As a society we are so manipulated into the need to be consumers and purchase and upgrade. There is something liberating when you break free of that mind-set.

Another example: I was finding that watching television was creating some kind of irritability. Was finding no interest on what was on tv - when I recall back over the past years, I don’t think I’ve ever watched even a 1/2-hour show all through with my full attention. Pretty much quit television and really want to get them out of my home completely.

I don’t think I regret my BMW purchase. I think of it as a necessity and think a cheaper car would have been annoying.

Last edited by overcoil; 06-06-2018 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #12
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
What is the main culprit of the anxiety? The amount of money? The reliability? The commitment? Are you worried you won't like it?
Not sure the culprit. Possibly money since Im a saver. Though I had a trade in that I sold privately to do this.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #13
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
As a society we are so manipulated into the need to be consumers and purchase and upgrade. There is something liberating when you break free of that mind-set.

Another example: I was finding that watching television was creating some kind of irritability. Was finding no interest on what was on tv - when I recall back over the past years, I don’t think I’ve ever watched even a 1/2-hour show all the through with my full attention. Pretty much quit television and really want to get them out of my home completely.

I don’t think I regret my BMW purchase. I think of it as a necessity and think a cheaper car would have been annoying.
I don't feel this is being manipulated into upgrading. I try to keep my vehicles for 10 years and enjoy not having car payments.

The TV I can relate to somewhat. Im interested in home improvement and HGTV has some shows. Soon I learned that a bunch of these TV shows were hiring actors.

Last edited by bmwanx1; 06-06-2018 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I just think of how my wife essentially demanded that I get the car.

With every BMW I've owned, sans a e46 ZHP, I've had buyers remorse. I just accept it and move on thinking that I'll buy what a I need vs what I want next time around.

I'm getting to the age where I'm tired of obsessing over the condition of my BMW.. Always thinking about wear-n-tear/mileage because I either didn't want to get hit with extra fees at end of lease or I want to get the max in terms of resale. It's exhausting.

I know if I were driving an econobox I would probablu not worry much.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34183.50
      06-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #15
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I do not get anxiety but perhaps a different perspective may help.

A car is just a car and of course we all don't need the nicest or fastest car but if it is what makes you happy and puts a smile on your face there isn't a price tag on that. You have confirmed you can afford it financially and that is the only worry. You only get one life to live so live it to the fullest. Don't surpress your wants and desires if they don't negativity impact your life. Embrace the fact that you can financially buy the car. There are many who cannot and would love to be in your shoes waiting for a shiny new car to come so put a smile on and enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Take it to someone BESIDES the dealer to protect the finish, make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage, then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

YES, the dealer screwed you on the price.
YES, you will lose money on your "investment"
YES, I am jealous
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34183.50
      06-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I'll be in the same boat tonight. We're picking up our Outback (our Pilot was totaled last week). Honda made our decision easier last night. Their "discount" on the CRV we were looking at was making the $3000 in crap add ons free. Yes, They offered us free nitrogen in the tires, a free $395 pinstripe, and other crap like that. What a turn off.

What kind of BMW are you getting? If its something with the turbo 6 or better, the best way to feel better is to find a nice, traffic free freeway on-ramp and BLAST OFF! Works for me every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am very frugal with money, but I enjoy good/quality products. I always try to find a point where I get the most value per dollar and I usually buy things that I need and know that I will use.

I am having a similar issue related to cars. I like cars, but I am only driving 1-2 times a week. I am looking to get a new toy (c63s, 911, RS5), but it's just hard to justify spending 80-100k+ on a car that will be parked most of the time and depreciate.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
000ooo000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

My mindset is that you're going to die anyways, just enjoy it and have fun while you can. Why waste your time driving a boring car that you dread having to drive anywhere. And
your money is no good when you're dead. That's how I mentally deal with spending way more than I need to on cars anyways.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

didn't you go over everything and lock in all the pricing before ordering? IF not that was not a good move. Best to negotiate all you can and get it in writing so when the car comes its a simple sign and drive off. With lock in programing available I dont see why anyone would not do this prior to a order

OP I am going to assume you did all this and you are more concerned with going through it. If that is the case I feel you on that. Every big purchase will give everyone a little jitter here and there

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #21
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
didn't you go over everything and lock in all the pricing before ordering? IF not that was not a good move. Best to negotiate all you can and get it in writing so when the car comes its a simple sign and drive off. With lock in programing available I dont see why anyone would not do this prior to a order

OP I am going to assume you did all this and you are more concerned with going through it. If that is the case I feel you on that. Every big purchase will give everyone a little jitter here and there
I did everything by the book. Im inline with your last paragraph.

Question for you since your on the sales side, has anyone ever come forward to you and mentioned anxiety during the final process?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
bmwanx1
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000ooo000 View Post
My mindset is that you're going to die anyways, just enjoy it and have fun while you can. Why waste your time driving a boring car that you dread having to drive anywhere. And
your money is no good when you're dead. That's how I mentally deal with spending way more than I need to on cars anyways.
Exactly, gotta have fun. Just getting over the anxiety and moving forward is the bump
Appreciate 0