EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Dct shaft seal leak, common issue?

Hi, today i took out the dct from my f82 to replace the flywheel because it have wear at damper springs.
3 months ago i replaced the oil pan because it was looking like it leak, but after replace car still leaks, today when i took out the gearbox i found the oil is from main shaft seal from gearbox. I ordered both seals, gearbox and engine side to replace them.
Is this dct shaft seal leak a common issue? I am glad i found it at right time, gearbox still have enough oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update, seems 90% of oil leak was from engine side seal and 10% from gearbox seal. I replaced both.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Thanks for the update! Good to know these things for the future!🙏
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, if somebody take out the gearbox for replace something it is better to replace these 2 seals. I replaced the oil pan because of this oil leak without succes
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Yes, if somebody take out the gearbox for replace something it is better to replace these 2 seals. I replaced the oil pan because of this oil leak without succes
Just stumbled across this thread. With your leaky rear main seal (seal on engine side) did you have a chirping sound on idle? Sounds like birds or chickens. (Yes I’ve checked if there are birds. )

I currently have a chirping sound when at idle. It’s linked to the PVC because when I open the oil cap it stops chirping. It’s not the cylinder head case as in other people’s case because I can’t hear the noise from the engine bay. I only hear it from below the car.

BMW say that it’s most likely the rear main seal but need to remove my gearbox to make sure. It’s not leaking currently from what I can see but they say it’s only a matter of time.

If you had the same sound before replacing then at least I know I’m on the right track.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No sound, only leak. Your sound is coming from pcv.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

All the PCV videos though show that you can hear the sound in the engine bay with the hood open. I can only hear mine from just Nijinsky the wheel well.
Appreciate 0