ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #23
08mojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

If you are doing this upgrade for track days, I would take a serious look at aftermarket track-focused steel rotor setups. The cost of carbon rotors is $$$$$$$$$$$$. Take a look at those who track the CCB setup, as they go through rotors at a higher rate than you'd imagine. Most of those people swap to steel rotors, as the cost to run ceramic brakes was too high.
Appreciate 1
jmg18663.00
      01-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #24
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
With 450HP you would complain about 20kgs more?
Well, Im out
20kg in your backseat might not make too big of a difference.

but 20kg of unsprung mass on the wheels will make a very noticeable difference.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #25
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I wouldnt argue with you about sense or real nonsense and you are right, this would make at that spot a difference - on track.
At public streets less I suppose. Plus you are forced to drive slow into the US, aint?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #26
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
Seems as though I had it backwards, although I did read that this another thread. I will take what BMW says and admit my mistake.

Here is what the CCB guide(attached) for the M5/M6 says about the booster:

"5.3. Brake Booster
The brake booster is specifically designed for the increased coefficient of friction of the M Carbon ceramic brake. This is why it has its own part number. Without this adaptation, the behavior of the M Carbon ceramic brakes would be rated as disproportionately aggressive."

So this leaves the question about the soft pedal. There is another thread from a week ago that discuss the need to run the ISTA DSC bleed procedure https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1785786
No problem. Very interesting. CCBs would be perfect for someone who dailys and takes the car to the track 2-3 times a year and do short sessions.
      01-21-2021, 11:44 PM   #27
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I am going through the upgrade and you do need the CCB specific brake booster. I just purchased one for ~450 from getbmwparts. There are also couple bolts and gaskets you will need as well. I'll pay the part numbers for you later.
Is everything bolt on replacement or are there other tweaks needed like brake line repositioning or screw holes not lining-up etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #28
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Quote:
I am going through the upgrade and you do need the CCB specific brake booster. I just purchased one for ~450 from getbmwparts. There are also couple bolts and gaskets you will need as well. I'll pay the part numbers for you later.
Is everything bolt on replacement or are there other tweaks needed like brake line repositioning or screw holes not lining-up etc?
I recently changed out my brake booster although for maintenance reasons not CCBs.

It's a fairly straightforward process if you're comfortable working on your M but it does require you to replace some gaskets/seals and locking nuts and the parts take a while to get right now. You do have to remove the DSC unit and therefore you absolutely must have the brakes bled with the ISTA procedure. I've heard that coding is also required when changing to the smaller CCB booster or vice versa.

The brake master cannot be installed with the reservoir attached due to clearance issues so bench bleeding is not an option. You will have tons of air in the system after this process and pressure bleeding won't even touch it hence the need for the ISTA bleed.

Still it's not that hard and the only special tools needed are flare wrenches for the line fittings.
Appreciate 2
IB M2782.00
irunalot1518.00
      01-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #29
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's pretty much bolt on just run the ISTA routine for the switch over to CCBs.

I did replace the brake lines with steel braided but it's not required.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #30
TKT2SPEED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80M3 Comp X Drive

you will need the new brake booster swap too otherwise the break pedal is extremely touchy i can speak from experience
Appreciate 0