Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #45
TAM4CO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Great, I've ordered a license and cable. Can't wait. Thanks
      11-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #46
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM4CO View Post
Great, I've ordered a license and cable. Can't wait. Thanks
You won't regret it 😀
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #47
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

I recently purchased a 2017 F82 that has downpipes and a tune. The problem is, I can't tell what tune is on the car. So out of caution, I purchased BM3 and put stage 2 93octane on the car. This way I at least know what tune is in place.

Question - When I hooked up BM3 it said it has stage 0 on. Would it show stage 0 if there was a non bm3 tune on that it didn't recognize? Or perhaps the car had bm3 and it was set to stage 0?

Question - I simply flashed stage 2 to whatever was already in place, either an existing tune was there or it was stock. Should I have flashed the car to bm3's built in stock tune and then to stage 2? Did the stage 2 flash I did completely overwrite whatever was there?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #48
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiridin View Post
I recently purchased a 2017 F82 that has downpipes and a tune. The problem is, I can't tell what tune is on the car. So out of caution, I purchased BM3 and put stage 2 93octane on the car. This way I at least know what tune is in place.

Question - When I hooked up BM3 it said it has stage 0 on. Would it show stage 0 if there was a non bm3 tune on that it didn't recognize? Or perhaps the car had bm3 and it was set to stage 0?

Question - I simply flashed stage 2 to whatever was already in place, either an existing tune was there or it was stock. Should I have flashed the car to bm3's built in stock tune and then to stage 2? Did the stage 2 flash I did completely overwrite whatever was there?
If it was showing a stage 0 tune already, chances are it has previously had BM3. If it was another vendors map, it wouldn't have shown. And chances are, if that was the case, you couldn't have backed it up anyway, as most are encrypted. I had this when I switched to BM3 from Alpine.
Stage 0 could be CS, CS+, or GTS.
If you didn't backup that map before flashing stage2, it's gone. But they're all free anyway, just go to the map page when you're logged in & save all the stage 0 maps to "my maps".
Flashing stage2 as you've done is fine, they're was no need to go back to a stock map first.
All will be good.
      01-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #49
F80 SM
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Hey t5pilot!

First post on here and nice to see some familiar usernames from Cutters.

Just had a wee read of your BM3 review. (Good write up!)

My M3 has had the DCT etc flashed by Zed recently, and I had an MPE fitted just before also.
I'm only after more noise from the MPE really. And I've never mapped a car in my life for more power.

I feel the M3 has more than enough in that aspect for me personally.

D'you think it's worth getting BM3 for what I'm after?

Cheers,
Stuart.

Last edited by F80 SM; 01-20-2021 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #50
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey Stuart,
BM3 will only give you more noise in respect of pops/bangs/crackles on over-run & accelerator lift-off.
This doesn't actually make the system louder - it just produces more sounds to begin with.
And tbh, you'll soon get fed up with the pops & crackles. I've actually got my BM3 set to have zero artificial sound generation.
Best way of just more volume will be having the valves permanently open.
That can also get tedious though, especially on a long run.
A valve controller would address this, rather than just unplugging the valves in the open position.
Other than that, you're looking at some aspect of cat delete. Either main downpipes (which you'll then have the EML to deal with), or secondary cats removal with an X mid-pipe section or similar.
I certainly wouldn't go down the BM3 path just for noise, don't believe there's benefit there.
      01-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #51
TAM4CO
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll attest to the pops and bangs getting old rather quickly.
I've set them to only occur higher up the rev range now. Previously had them set fairly low in Sport and crazy in Sport+, but you do feel like a bit of tw*t with it happening at low speeds or around town etc
      01-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #52
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM4CO View Post
I'll attest to the pops and bangs getting old rather quickly.
I've set them to only occur higher up the rev range now. Previously had them set fairly low in Sport and crazy in Sport+, but you do feel like a bit of tw*t with it happening at low speeds or around town etc
Yeah I remember seeing a RR SVR go past at about 5mph in heavy traffic with very *very* loud pops and bangs as he was pootling around. Perhaps not a great comparison but it did make the driver look fairly daft
      03-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #53
TAM4CO
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey all,
So I've gone in to code out the cold start, but wanted to leave the GTS start up in place.
I select the options as such and code it in, but the cold start is still there. Was wondering if this is because you can't remove with the GTS start up in place?
Thanks

** Tried again this morning and appears to have worked **

Last edited by TAM4CO; 03-25-2021 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #54
BMF80M3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Hey Stuart,
BM3 will only give you more noise in respect of pops/bangs/crackles on over-run & accelerator lift-off.
This doesn't actually make the system louder - it just produces more sounds to begin with.
And tbh, you'll soon get fed up with the pops & crackles. I've actually got my BM3 set to have zero artificial sound generation.
A valve controller would address this, rather than just unplugging the valves in the open position.
Other than that, you're looking at some aspect of cat delete. Either main downpipes (which you'll then have the EML to deal with), or secondary cats removal with an X mid-pipe section or similar.
I certainly wouldn't go down the BM3 path just for noise, don't believe there's benefit there.

Just to confirm BM3 can keep the valves permanently open in Sports/ Sports+ Would you still recommend a valve controller/ can flap if i only want the valves permanently open in Sports mode.

Is there a difference between sound with BM3 valves open / can flap or valve controller?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #55
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF80M3 View Post
Quote:
Hey Stuart,

Just to confirm BM3 can keep the valves permanently open in Sports/ Sports+ Would you still recommend a valve controller/ can flap if i only want the valves permanently open in Sports mode.

Is there a difference between sound with BM3 valves open / can flap or valve controller?
Yes, BM3 can be set to have the valves fully open in sport & s+.
It will sound identical to a valve controller.
You can of course use a valve controller whilst driving, providing it's permanently plugged in.
      06-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #56
Tommy9
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp LCI II 2017

Quote:
It's a godsend for dealer visits too. I can flash the stock tune back on, tick the box for CAT delete (so no CEL warning), and re-lock the DME. Child's Play wizardry!

Just out of interest, (and I know this is digging up an old thread - sorry!), you mentioned being able to reflash the stock map and then lock the DME? Is this actually do-able? To be able to relock it on the standard stock map for the likes of servicing etc seems perfect! Always wanted to do a BM3 map but been worried about warranty and traceability if something goes pop! But would love to tune the burbles and sharpen the gearbox shifts and get rid of some of that ‘clunkiness’ etc. TIA!

Last edited by Tommy9; 06-10-2021 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #57
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy9 View Post
Quote:
It's a godsend for dealer visits too. I can flash the stock tune back on, tick the box for CAT delete (so no CEL warning), and re-lock the DME. Child's Play wizardry!

Just out of interest, (and I know this is digging up an old thread - sorry!), you mentioned being able to reflash the stock map and then lock the DME? Is this actually do-able? To be able to relock it on the standard stock map for the likes of servicing etc seems perfect! Always wanted to do a BM3 map but been worried about warranty and traceability if something goes pop! But would love to tune the burbles and sharpen the gearbox shifts and get rid of some of that 'clunkiness' etc. TIA!
Yes, it's one of the options available
      06-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #58
Tommy9
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp LCI II 2017

Quote:
So I guess re-locking makes it seem as if it’s untouched for the likes of a service etc. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #59
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy9 View Post
Quote:
So I guess re-locking makes it seem as if it’s untouched for the likes of a service etc. ?
If you look at some of the other posts they can still detect it has been mapped.

OK for a service though as suspect they won't be that bothered. Warranty work not so
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #60
Nickers001
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 GC

great review and write up, very informative and will certainly look into this once I've purchased my M
Appreciate 1
t5pilot977.50