R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Steering Wheel Click Sound

I recently have been hearing a very soft click/ tick sound coming from my steering column. When I drive very slowly, or when stationary, and I turn my steering wheel very slightly to the left and right, I hear one click when I turn each direction. No sound if I turn harder or more angle.

I have the stock adaptive dampers.

Doesn't sound like it's coming from the strut mounts. Seems like straight from the steering column.

I adjusted my telescopic position of the steering wheel, but don't think there are wires or anything in there that knock against the interior plastic, right?

Any idea what causes this?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
kumkeet
Private
Rep

If I don't fiddle with the steering wheel, some days, the sound is not there. But once I turn it left and right a few times, it will appear faintly again.

One of the mechanics told me it may be brake pads. But would the sound come up all the way to the steering column?

Hoping it's not suspension or struts cos it doesn't sound like it's coming from there.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
kumkeet
Private
Rep

Dealer couldn't really tell where the sound came from. Replaced the whole steering rack assembly. Sound still there. Good thing is... i have a brand new steering rack and pinion now. hahaha

After hearing some more, i think there is some cracking clicking sounds when i turn full lock to full lock. So may be the steering clock spring.

going in again to replace that. Hopefully will fix the issue.
Appreciate 0