R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Clear Coat on 666 Wheels Peeling

So I was washing my car today and noticed on 2 of the wheels have clear coat peeling. There is no impact on the wheel so it is not curb rash or and rock hit. The clear coat is just bubbling up and peeling. Water and break dust are of course getting caught in it. I do not use harsh wheel cleaners. I use Gtechniq W5 Citrus All Purpose Cleaner and that is it.

Has anyone else had issues like this? If so was it covered under warranty? I would think it would be considered a defect in the clear coat.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I’ve had this on refinished 437s. Are you first owner of these rims ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
I’ve had this on refinished 437s. Are you first owner of these rims ?
Original owner of original wheels. They have never been refinished.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I've had all 4 wheels on my F15 X5 replaced under warranty because of corrosion and peeling. But it was a known issue... the clear was peeling around the center bore where the center cap goes in. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I've had all 4 wheels on my F15 X5 replaced under warranty because of corrosion and peeling. But it was a known issue... the clear was peeling around the center bore where the center cap goes in. Doesn't hurt to ask.
The dealer has submitted this to BMW NA. They believe that they are going to replace 3 of the 4 wheels. I am going to push to have the 4th done at the same time so they match but I don't think they are going to go for it.

I will update when I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Laostuh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
The dealer has submitted this to BMW NA. They believe that they are going to replace 3 of the 4 wheels. I am going to push to have the 4th done at the same time so they match but I don't think they are going to go for it.

I will update when I hear back.
:O this is happening to my car too.. Maybe I should also try to get a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I noticed my wheels fading. Looks like I used an acidic cleaner on them but I only use adams car soap and water.. it's quite disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
BMW NA is is not willing to replace my wheels. They are claiming that there was an external cause. Since the tires have be changed they are blaming the tire place even though I inspected the wheels before and after the install. I put a call into BMW directly and am waiting for a call back.

The local dealer is going to work with me on repairing the wheels. They have a tech who can match the tint on the wheels. They are offering a discount on this service and I am hoping to get some courtesy money from BMW NA.

I will continue to update.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

100 percent caused by the tire shop.

My first set of 666M I had America's Tire mount new MPS4S on and I gave them a quick inspection afterward and didn't see anything, only when I got home to do a more thorough inspection I found the clear had a "bubble' where their tool met the rim. It was on all 4 rims, when I picked at it the clear came off and it looked exactly like your pictures. They accepted the blame and wanted to refinish the wheels at their shop of choice, I declined and had OnSite wheel repair fix them. They sanded the area down and recleared it, which actually made it worse looking.

On my 2nd set of 666Ms which were perfect, I had one tire replaced (because of a nail) took it to a different shop this time, myself and the manager inspected the wheel together before dismounting because I explained to him what happened last time. Guess what? After swapping on the new tire, same thing happened, two spots on the lip had "clear coat bubbles" where the tool met the rim. It seems like the clear finish on these OEM 666M wheels are very susceptible to damage from tire dismounting tools.

After those two experiences, I ONLY take my wheels to a shop that has an automated highend "touchless" machine. The only way to gaurantee the rims won't get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post

My first set of 666M I had America's Tire mount new MPS4S on and I gave them a quick inspection afterward and didn't see anything, only when I got home to do a more thorough inspection I found the clear had a "bubble' where their tool met the rim. It was on all 4 rims, when I picked at it the clear came off and it looked exactly like your pictures. They accepted the blame and wanted to refinish the wheels at their shop of choice, I declined and had OnSite wheel repair fix them. They sanded the area down and recleared it, which actually made it worse looking.

On my 2nd set of 666Ms which were perfect, I had one tire replaced (because of a nail) took it to a different shop this time, myself and the manager inspected the wheel together before dismounting because I explained to him what happened last time. Guess what? After swapping on the new tire, same thing happened, two spots on the lip had "clear coat bubbles" where the tool met the rim. It seems like the clear finish on these OEM 666M wheels are very susceptible to damage from tire dismounting tools.

After those two experiences, I ONLY take my wheels to a shop that has an automated highend "touchless" machine. The only way to gaurantee the rims won't get damaged.
Thanks for the insight. I am still waiting for BMW of NA to call me back. The dealer is going to work with me to get them refinished next week. They are offering a discount and I will talk to the tire place. I am friends with my tire installer and we will be able to work something out. I am not happy but its not the end of the world.

Next time I will look for a touchless machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMpower View Post

Thanks for the insight. I am still waiting for BMW of NA to call me back. The dealer is going to work with me to get them refinished next week. They are offering a discount and I will talk to the tire place. I am friends with my tire installer and we will be able to work something out. I am not happy but its not the end of the world.

Next time I will look for a touchless machine.
I think you need to be careful with the dealer saying they can match the tint. Mine said the same and while there is a smoke finish to it you can tell it doesn't match the other three when you put them side by side. Whether that matters to you is a diff story. I have a small scrape on another rim and I chose to live with it instead of refinishing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I think you need to be careful with the dealer saying they can match the tint. Mine said the same and while there is a smoke finish to it you can tell it doesn't match the other three when you put them side by side. Whether that matters to you is a diff story. I have a small scrape on another rim and I chose to live with it instead of refinishing it.
+1

I had a dealer repair a 666M wheel and they couldn’t get it 100% perfect after 2 tries. I argued with the dealer since they damaged it and they ended up replacing the wheel. Depending how OCD you are it might not bother you.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #13
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
+1

I had a dealer repair a 666M wheel and they couldn’t get it 100% perfect after 2 tries. I argued with the dealer since they damaged it and they ended up replacing the wheel. Depending how OCD you are it might not bother you.
Yeah I am aware of the smoked finish on the wheel but I think I would rather have them repaired and have them slightly off vs continuing to peel. The larger square patch has brake dust and other crap in it and it about to crack off and if it does it will be bright sliver. Even if they don't get it perfect I assume it will look better than bare metal. The entire issue is frustrating.
Appreciate 0