Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #67
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
I interpreted that as saying a 2000lb/190whp mk2 gti is preferred vs a 3800+ lb Alfa
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #68
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I interpreted that as saying a 2000lb/190whp mk2 gti is preferred vs a 3800+ lb Alfa
A.) “Off topic” was a joke.

B.) Lightweight is always more fun at the track.

C.) Daily drivers are never lightweight...only slightly lighter...even the M3 is porkier than it should be, but safety system do add weight, so it is what it is.

D.) Carry on with the Alfa hate. It’s sort of entertaining, but I do kind of feel bad for those who choose to ignorantly trash it without even having driven one. If you drive it and still hate it...fair enough. Different strokes for different folks...but to trash it without any firsthand knowledge is just kind of pathetic.
Appreciate 1
Habber3505.50
      06-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #69
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
A.) "Off topic" was a joke.

B.) Lightweight is always more fun at the track.

C.) Daily drivers are never lightweight...only slightly lighter...even the M3 is porkier than it should be, but safety system do add weight, so it is what it is.

D.) Carry on with the Alfa hate. It's sort of entertaining, but I do kind of feel bad for those who choose to ignorantly trash it without even having driven one. If you drive it and still hate it...fair enough. Different strokes for different folks...but to trash it without any firsthand knowledge is just kind of pathetic.
Regarding the member "Darth One" I didn't see his comments as unreasonable or Alfa bashing at all. He merely stated that he wants to exercise caution and wait a while longer before seriously considering a Guilia. How is that unreasonable? I take the same approach whenever considering a brand I've not owned before, and even more so if I'm looking at a relatively new model. I certainly took this stance when considering my first bmw.

I've actually been spending a little time reading on the giulia forum, and members there are generally very reasonable and helpful. If someone posts a question there about Alfa reliability, they're generally met with patient replies.

Your replies to questions here about reliability are coming off as almost militant. Yeah, it's annoying to have to keep reiterating the same thing, and dispelling the same tired misconceptions, but welcome to Internet forums. Getting all pissed off and insulting members that express interest in the Alfa line up does more to impart a sour taste than dispel old rumors about Alfa build quality.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #70
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral White M4

Wow... I might have to leave the M family next year. Beautiful render. Beast of a car.
      06-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #71
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Regarding the member ""... Your replies to questions here about reliability are coming off as almost militant. Yeah, it's annoying to have to keep reiterating the same thing, and dispelling the same tired misconceptions, but welcome to Internet forums. Getting all pissed off and insulting members that express interest in the Alfa line up does more to impart a sour taste than dispel old rumors about Alfa build quality.
Fear of the unknown is a scary place for some I suspect.

Last edited by shortseller; 06-08-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #72
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the member "Darth One" I didn't see his comments as unreasonable or Alfa bashing at all. He merely stated that he wants to exercise caution and wait a while longer before seriously considering a Guilia. How is that unreasonable? I take the same approach whenever considering a brand I've not owned before, and even more so if I'm looking at a relatively new model. I certainly took this stance when considering my first bmw.

I've actually been spending a little time reading on the giulia forum, and members there are generally very reasonable and helpful. If someone posts a question there about Alfa reliability, they're generally met with patient replies.

Your replies to questions here about reliability are coming off as almost militant. Yeah, it's annoying to have to keep reiterating the same thing, and dispelling the same tired misconceptions, but welcome to Internet forums. Getting all pissed off and insulting members that express interest in the Alfa line up does more to impart a sour taste than dispel old rumors about Alfa build quality.
I feel you are misinterpreting my comments. I’m taking the time to answer valid questions on the Alfa as a car enthusiast, and also clearing up inaccuracies that are constantly repeated by select folks on this thread.

As an aside, maybe you have not seen the vile attacks against me in several other “M3 vs Alfa” threads by the same 3-4 really nasty people just because I am sharing some positives of the Quadrifoglio. I had an F80 M3 for two years and loved it, but it was not 100% perfect, as few cars seldom ever are. For some reason, a select cadre of diehard M3/M4 owners seem to take issue with that, yet other more open-minded members who have heard my shared comments, have chosen to test drive a Quadrifoglio for themselves, have echoed my sentiments, and actually purchased one...in fact 2-3 this week, I believe. They are now “informed” for having taken the time to drive the car, instead of having never driven it, yet repeatedly trashing it for unknown reasons.

Regarding the Giulia Forum, you clearly have not seen the easily 10-12 fake posters with 1 post trashing the car as if they actually own one over the past few months. That’s kind of pathetic, but not surprising given some of the aggressive responses I’ve experienced over here. Let’s face it, not everybody is a car enthusiast, and they take everything as a threat to their own precious vehicles.

BTW...There is a huge difference between stating that a person’s comments are ignorant (synonym: unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about...) versus calling a person ignorant as an insult. Everybody is ignorant about something...until they become more familiar with it (current info, not 30 year bias).

I too was a skeptic about the new Alfas before experiencing them firsthand. However, after doing significant research with existing Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio owners, and now having owned one myself for the past 16 months, my comments are based on experience, not hearsay, innuendo, or misrepresentation.

Last edited by mcc3456; 06-08-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #73
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Creating fake burner accounts to deliberately trash a vehicle can be construed as nothing short of humorous.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #74
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Creating fake burner accounts to deliberately trash a vehicle can be construed as nothing short of humorous.
...Or pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #75
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

I feel you are misinterpreting my comments. I'm taking the time to answer valid questions on the Alfa as a car enthusiast, and also clearing up inaccuracies that are constantly repeated by select folks on this thread.

As an aside, maybe you have not seen the vile attacks against me in several other "M3 vs Alfa" threads by the same 3-4 really nasty people just because I am sharing some positives of the Quadrifoglio. I had an F80 M3 for two years and loved it, but it was not 100% perfect, as few cars seldom ever are. For some reason, a select cadre of diehard M3/M4 owners seem to take issue with that, yet other more open-minded members who have heard my shared comments, have chosen to test drive a Quadrifoglio for themselves, have echoed my sentiments, and actually purchased one...in fact 2-3 this week, I believe. They are now "informed" for having taken the time to drive the car, instead of having never driven it, yet repeatedly trashing it for unknown reasons.

Regarding the Giulia Forum, you clearly have not seen the easily 10-12 fake posters with 1 post trashing the car as if they actually own one over the past few months. That's kind of pathetic, but not surprising given some of the aggressive responses I've experienced over here. Let's face it, not everybody is a car enthusiast, and they take everything as a threat to their own precious vehicles.

BTW...There is a huge difference between stating that a person's comments are ignorant (synonym: unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about...) versus calling a person ignorant as an insult. Everybody is ignorant about something...until they become more familiar with it (current info, not 30 year bias).

I too was a skeptic about the new Alfas before experiencing them firsthand. However, after doing significant research with existing Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio owners, and now having owned one myself for the past 16 months, my comments are based on experience, not hearsay, innuendo, or misrepresentation.
I've noticed at least one of the troll accounts at the giulia forum. I don't count them as actual members anyway though, and every Internet forum has them. They're usually just bored kids.

Yeah, I might have misinterpreted the "tone" in some of your posts.

Alfa is relatively unfamiliar in the US market, so many potential, US based customers are going to be understandably cautious. I agree, though that Alfa's legacy reputation is hurting their current reputation. Eventually this will resolve when more people buy from their current line up.

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I'm not interested by the Giulia. I've not driven one yet, but there's just something about it that's intriguing. I also really like what Ive seen of the interior. It's refined and classy, yet has a certain character about it that sets it apart from its other European counterparts. I can also not imagine the driving experience would pique my interest further.
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      06-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #76
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
I feel you are misinterpreting my comments. I’m taking the time to answer valid questions on the Alfa as a car enthusiast, and also clearing up inaccuracies that are constantly repeated by select folks on this thread.

As an aside, maybe you have not seen the vile attacks against me in several other “M3 vs Alfa” threads by the same 3-4 really nasty people just because I am sharing some positives of the Quadrifoglio. I had an F80 M3 for two years and loved it, but it was not 100% perfect, as few cars seldom ever are. For some reason, a select cadre of diehard M3/M4 owners seem to take issue with that, yet other more open-minded members who have heard my shared comments, have chosen to test drive a Quadrifoglio for themselves, have echoed my sentiments, and actually purchased one...in fact 2-3 this week, I believe. They are now “informed” for having taken the time to drive the car, instead of having never driven it, yet repeatedly trashing it for unknown reasons.

Regarding the Giulia Forum, you clearly have not seen the easily 10-12 fake posters with 1 post trashing the car as if they actually own one over the past few months. That’s kind of pathetic, but not surprising given some of the aggressive responses I’ve experienced over here. Let’s face it, not everybody is a car enthusiast, and they take everything as a threat to their own precious vehicles.

BTW...There is a huge difference between stating that a person’s comments are ignorant (synonym: unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about...) versus calling a person ignorant as an insult. Everybody is ignorant about something...until they become more familiar with it (current info, not 30 year bias).

I doubt they are fake accounts. They are probably legitimate purchasers that are extremely frustrated. My wife's dealership sells AR (along with Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin and etc.) and her best friend who is one of the sales persons there purchased one. Hers and the one's they sell are always in the shop for a variety of reasons.

It is really that bad and I am pretty sure they just lemoned one the other day. Good friends of mine that run and whose family owns about 10 new car dealerships ranging from Porsche, Audi, Jeep, Dodge, Kia, Fiat, Chrysler, VW, Mitsubishi told me about a year ago when I dropped by that they have/had Alfa franchise, but won't stock/sell them. I just looked and it appears they still have not stocked them or made the commitment to deal with them.

Look, I actually want to like and would like if the cars worth a crap . . . My wife and I could get a heck of a deal (much better than available to public and they still have a 17 QV left over) . . ., but wife drivers a Macan S and a 997.2 cabriolet and has no desire for a Guillia QV or Stelvio QV. She is next getting a Levante. I have ZERO desire for a QV despite the deal I can get on that leftover 2017 . . . or any 18 for that matter.

I get the subjective part . . ., but to insinuate the cars are reliable and those trashing it on AR boards are fake accounts or trolls shows just how insecure/weird you are, not the others to whom you point your finger.

At the end of the day it is just a car and it has a warranty so who cares it breaks and has to go into the shop. Minor inconvenience, but total first world problems. I personally am not impressed by them and don't like their looks.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 06-09-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #77
325iExecutive
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mazda CX5

The coupe is stunning - can't wait to see the production version.
mcc3456332.00
      06-09-2018, 11:42 PM   #78
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've noticed at least one of the troll accounts at the giulia forum. I don't count them as actual members anyway though, and every Internet forum has them. They're usually just bored kids.

Yeah, I might have misinterpreted the "tone" in some of your posts.

Alfa is relatively unfamiliar in the US market, so many potential, US based customers are going to be understandably cautious. I agree, though that Alfa's legacy reputation is hurting their current reputation. Eventually this will resolve when more people buy from their current line up.

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I'm not interested by the Giulia. I've not driven one yet, but there's just something about it that's intriguing. I also really like what Ive seen of the interior. It's refined and classy, yet has a certain character about it that sets it apart from its other European counterparts. I can also not imagine the driving experience would pique my interest further.
PM me and you can check it out for yourself since you’re in MA too. I think you will be pretty impressed. Contrary to the inaccurate comments of other a few posters in this thread, the cars are not blowing up, nor are they not selling. They Giulia is already outselling the Jaguar XE 2 to 1 in just it’s first year and BMW 3 series sales were down like 20%+ last month on a year over year basis. Clearly, people who test drive the Quadrifoglio have nice things to say and are often converting over to Alfa instead of buying an M3, such as Nemesis07 and Rambler just this last week alone.

My local dealer is a Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Alfa dealer and I’m friends with the GM. They are the largest volume Alfa dealer in New England, and I can assure you they don’t have many cars over there that come in for anything other than regular service.

Last edited by mcc3456; 06-10-2018 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      06-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #79
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
PM me and you can check it out for yourself since you’re in MA too. I think you will be pretty impressed. Contrary to the inaccurate comments of other a few posters in this thread, the cars are not blowing up, nor are they not selling. My local dealer is a Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Alfa dealer and I’m friends with the GM. They are the largest volume Alfa dealer in New England, I can assure you they don’t have many cars over there that come in for anything other than regular service.
Lol, no one said anything about blowing up, just in shop all the time. Lol, I am sure your this GM who is probably just nice to you because your a customer is going to sing AR praises to sell them.

It ain’t those complaining on some AR forum about their cars breaking, the media or those of us on her that have the credibility problems, it’s you. Although you toned it down a lot here lately, your still a whack job with some weird ass obsessive issue.

I hope Alfa Romeo gets it together. I benefit financially from them doing well.

The scariest part is they haven’t even been on the road long enough to really see how they will hold up and they are already having issues. What in the world are they going to be like when they have 30k to 50k miles on them . . . Time will tell.

I heard discussion about combining AR and Maserati due to some pretty heaving FCA losses and the need to restructure. That might not bode well for AR in the long run either. Will it be subsumed into the Maserati line? Will that change production goals, dealer network and etc.? Will they take technology and put it in lower end Masssersti hoping that will enhance image of product and desirability of Nassersti which has much better name recognition?

Last edited by 996ttelise; 06-10-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0