Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

09-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: AY M4

M4 Master Experience - Brands Hatch

My wife brought me this M4 experience at Brands and I went yesterday. It was tipping it down when we left home so majorly depressed and it was still very damp when we arrived. Fortunately it stopped raining before we got in the cars and actually started to dry while we were out for the first 15 mins. There is no mucking about they really get you to push the cars from the first bend. The time just flew. The second stint was dry so got to really push the car, managed to get up to 120mph along Cooper Straight. These cars are brilliant and the flying lap by the instructor had me laughing all the way round....was amazing.

Still cant believe thats what i've got sitting on my drive

The cars are apparently totally stock except for no rear seat and a half role cage fitted

I thoroughly enjoyed it and all for 189...think i'll be going back
Appreciate 3
      09-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '18 F31, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Gadget4 View Post
My wife brought me this M4 experience at Brands and I went yesterday. It was tipping it down when we left home so majorly depressed and it was still very damp when we arrived. Fortunately it stopped raining before we got in the cars and actually started to dry while we were out for the first 15 mins. There is no mucking about they really get you to push the cars from the first bend. The time just flew. The second stint was dry so got to really push the car, managed to get up to 120mph along Cooper Straight. These cars are brilliant and the flying lap by the instructor had me laughing all the way round....was amazing.

Still cant believe thats what i've got sitting on my drive

The cars are apparently totally stock except for no rear seat and a half role cage fitted

I thoroughly enjoyed it and all for 189...think i'll be going back

http://www.bmwcarclubgb.uk/registers/track_days.html
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
Did you crap your pants going into paddock hill bend the first time?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep

It was rather unsettling especially as the instructor is yelling.....power...power in your ear. Its a brilliant corner though.....I remember when they had Formula 1 at Brands the speed the cars went into paddock hill bend was unbelievable
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

It really is good fun isn't it! I went with a few friends back when the weather was more favourable, great to push the limits of someone else's M4 in a relatively safe environment. Although after being told TC would firmly remain on, the instructor turned it off shortly before Paddock Hill resulting in a bit more sideways than planned as I was expecting the full wrath of TC to kick in.

How did you fair round Surtees and beyond? That is where a lot of people seemed to get unstuck from the line.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep

Yes brilliant there is no way I would track day my car I just couldn't bring myself to treat it like that

I was a bit too fast into Surtees a couple of times but didnt have any trouble coming out of it....probably could have been faster round Druids....there were 9 cars out and I managed to pass about half of them in both stints.....

Shame they don't give you lap times though.

Last edited by Mr-Gadget4; 09-06-2016 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: mis spellling
Appreciate 1
Karlj171.50

09-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep

They were running Pirelli tyres and I was impressed at the grip in the 1st stint when it was wet...thought I'd be all over the shop
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Agreed about lap times, that was the only real disappointment. Can completely understand why they wouldn't want to set you up with the mindset of doing a fast lap, although some gauge of how we did would certainly have been nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [5.00]
I have mine booked in few weeks. Do they let you change any of the settings like steering? Do they run them in sport+?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep

Not sure what settings they had them in as they had the eco display on the dash. I asked to change the gear change setting and my instructor let me do that. I assumed that they would have the most appropriate settings for everything else, especially as it was wet to start with. Stupid of me really as I wish I had asked what the others were set to. It definately wasnt comfort on the engine.

And they do get you to really push them...I'm still smiling about the experience

The other thing that surprised me was that there was no brake fade. And I did ask about them and as far as the instructor knew they were bog standard.

They all sound excellent as well.....standard exhausts.

If you ask let me know...my bet is that if its dry it will be sport+

Hope you enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

Just wondering if this is worth it for only 2 laps? Is there anywhere that gives you a full days tuition and track time with maybe skid pan training as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The BMW fahrer training has 1 or 2 day courses. I did several some years ago at the Nurburgring GP circuit and at Mugello. They don't have instructors in car but use convoy system following, or as you progress being followed by,instructor (or trying to keep up with as they are often contract BMW racing drivers. They have an evening classroom session the night before and one or two full days on track ( the first time I went included an unofficial evening session as a passenger with the instructor lapping the Nordsliefe)

If you don't speak German they do some in English.

http://www.bmw-drivingexperience.com...pe:Rennstrecke

They are expensive and more so since drop in value of the euro
F80 M3, DCT Yas Marina Blue, E92 M3 Comp Pack, E92 M3, Z4MC, E46 M3 CS, E46 M3

Last edited by jbtco; 09-10-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Mr-Gadget4
Private First Class
England
Rep

Where did you get the 2 laps from......not sure how many laps I did in each 15 minute session (didn't get a chance to count...bit of a sensory overload) but if you said aprox a minute per lap, which is not unrealistic that is about 30 laps over the two sessions. It is full on and you know you have done if for a day or two.
Appreciate 2
Karlj171.50
TommyGuk324.50

09-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #14
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

I'm sorry I completely miss read your post for some reason. 30 laps is more than enough. Very interested in doing it and possibly this as well...

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/cale...20-op-gen.aspx
Appreciate 0