Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30/M550ix 2019

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Who has done SC Performance Center Delivery?

I am picking up a M550Xi from the Performance Center in SC in Aug. I know this is the M3/M4 forum but I there seems to be a lot more activity here than over there and since the wife has a 2018 M3 I figured I would post here.

We live about an hour from the Center so we will just drive down. I would love to hear peoples impressions of the delivery and the experience. I figure even though we are close I will take advantage of the night in the hotel etc...

I am looking forward to driving at the Performance Center. My wife will also be joining me. This will be our first time on a track so I am sure we will not be taking home any trophies. LOL How much instruction are you get before you head out? I would love to hear about the type of driving they had you do. Also does anyone know if you do the X offroad course even if you are not getting a X vehicle?

Finally I have a question about the wash and detail that they do there. This car will be going over to Carolina Auto Image https://www.facebook.com/carolinaautoimage/ for PPF and Gtechniq ceramic coating. How was the wash and prep of the car prior to delivery? I am debating allowing them to remove the shipping film and washing & detailing it vs leaving it and taking it over to Carolina Auto Image with the film still on.

Depending on scheduling I may not be able to get the car over to CAI immediately and I am not sure I want to drive around with the factory film LOL. I am interested to hear peoples thoughts letting them wash the car.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

I did it in 2016. You don't drive your car on any of the tracks or obstacles. You get 45 min of classroom. It's all controlled. You'll get an X5 to do the offroad. You will also get a replica of the car you bought to do the track stuff. There's also a wet skid pad you'll do in a 3 series to demonstrate the DSC. You'll do the delivery either before or after the driving activities depending on what group you're in.

The car was pristine at delivery and was indoors. I don't think you'd need to have them leave the film on, and I'm not sure if they would anyway as the delivery happens in an area that is like a showroom.

The driving was the skid pad, a multi turn track, I think a drag race, and the off road.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
I did it in 2016. You don't drive your car on any of the tracks or obstacles. You get 45 min of classroom. It's all controlled. You'll get an X5 to do the offroad. You will also get a replica of the car you bought to do the track stuff. There's also a wet skid pad you'll do in a 3 series to demonstrate the DSC. You'll do the delivery either before or after the driving activities depending on what group you're in.

The car was pristine at delivery and was indoors. I don't think you'd need to have them leave the film on, and I'm not sure if they would anyway as the delivery happens in an area that is like a showroom.

The driving was the skid pad, a multi turn track, I think a drag race, and the off road.
Thank you that is exactly the type of info I am looking for. I cannot wait. I am hoping to do the 1 or 2 day M school later this year or early next year depending on the budget.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Thank you that is exactly the type of info I am looking for. I cannot wait. I am hoping to do the 1 or 2 day M school later this year or early next year depending on the budget.
I keep wanting to do the school, but I have not booked it yet. One of these days...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Member experience at the Performance Center in both Spartanburg and Thermal have been covered ad-nauseum over the years. I suggest using the search function to review those threads.

I'm happy to answer the questions likely not covered in the archived threads. The wash and prep of the car prior to delivery is on par with what a dealership would perform. Keep in mind, they're not professional detailers so don't expect a proper detail. They'll wash the car, wheels, clean glass and vacuum and wipe down the interior. I had the Performance Center prep my F80 several years ago and it went to my detailer right after. Don't overthink this, it's not a SF90.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Member experience at the Performance Center in both Spartanburg and Thermal have been covered ad-nauseum over the years. I suggest using the search function to review those threads.

I'm happy to answer the questions likely not covered in the archived threads. The wash and prep of the car prior to delivery is on par with what a dealership would perform. Keep in mind, they're not professional detailers so don't expect a proper detail. They'll wash the car, wheels, clean glass and vacuum and wipe down the interior. I had the Performance Center prep my F80 several years ago and it went to my detailer right after. Don't overthink this, it's not a SF90.
Used the search feature and got lots of vague info and lots of threads about how to schedule them, how to get there etc. I wasn’t finding a ton of info on the driving part but I have found what I needed to know.

Most likely I will just let them wash it and it will go to my detail soon afterwards. I known it’s not a SF90 but I have seen some horror stories about “dealer” washes. I don’t let the dealer wash my wife’s M3 as a result. So I think the question is valid. If they are careless why make it harder on my detailed? Sorry to put you out and add to the ad nauseam.

Last edited by rellascout; 07-01-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

I just did this last Friday the 21st.

When you first arrive, you do a quick huddle at the front desk. Everybody proceeds to a classroom for instructor introduction and a brief driving lesson/tips, what makes BMW the ultimate driving machine, all the safety features for a BMW, and then finally a quick rundown of what will be happening shortly.

After this you proceed outside to your respective test cars. The group is then split into 2s. My group did the brake test first. Accelerate from 30, 40, 50 and brake hard. This is done to show the stopping power of your soon to be car and how responsive it can be when you need full brakes.

After this, we did 4 laps around the track. This is moreso to get used to the car, cornering, braking, steering.

2nd to last, we headed over to the wet track. Here it's to demonstrate traction control. Everybody in our group used my test M4 as it'd be hilariously bad to see people spin out in a X5. This was ultra fun as the instructor takes over the e-brake, he tells you when to floor it and bam 360 spins!

After this, our group then all hopped into X5s and headed over to the production plant. Spent an hour here seeing the whole production process start to finish. Very cool and a huge, huge facility.

On the way back, this was the best part of the day for me. We did off road stuff in our X5s. Unfortunately we couldn't do the trudging through water as apparently gators have taken residence in the waters that the workers are trying to shoo away. This portion was very cool and I won't ruin it for you. It's a blast to realize what an X5 can do.

Lunch break. BTW, the food is awesome. Make sure you take a bunch of waters and other snacks for later for the road trip back home. Wish we had thought of this before our 10hr trek. It's all free. Obviously don't ransack the cafeteria.

After lunch, we headed to the gift shop until our instructors paired us of to our respective bought cars. You get 15% off at the gift shop. We got free travel mugs and hats, so try to steer away from purchasing these from the gift shop if you were thinking about this ahead of time.

Took about 1.5-2hrs going over the car. All the ins and outs, all the buttons and settings in idrive.

And now you're on your way home or wherever else you'd like.

I had a blast! I didn't think it'd be as much fun, and I felt bad for the fiancée as I thought she'd have a boring time. She had a blast, from wailing on the throttle on a M4, to doing 360 spins, off-road stuff, and seeing cars built, I was very glad she had a great time.

I look forward to doing this again if I ever have the opportunity.

Have fun, be safe, do all the activities. Try to break that brake during the braking test. Whatever you think is a hard brake, trust me it is not. You WILL have to literally stand and put all your weight into the brake pedal for the instructor to give you high praise. I thought I was braking hard as a mfer, but instructor said..."eh, maybe 60% braking. Need more brake". I'm like Wtf, I thought I was jamming on this thing.

Edit, I forgot another awesome thing. After the 360 spins and before we headed off to the production plant, we all went into M5s with an instructor and gave us a hot lap around the track. Try to sit in the passenger seat. I sat in the back and I was sliding all over the place and I got car sick which I rarely get. The fiancée had a hell of a view without the nausea. Man, those instructors are sick with the driving skills.

Last edited by brocurls; 07-01-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
SMGCFP584.50
      07-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post

When you first arrive, you do a quick huddle at the front desk. Everybody proceeds to a classroom for instructor introduction and a brief driving lesson/tips, what makes BMW the ultimate driving machine, all the safety features for a BMW, and then finally a quick rundown of what will be happening shortly.

After this you proceed outside to your respective test cars. The group is then split into 2s. My group did the brake test first. Accelerate from 30, 40, 50 and brake hard. This is done to show the stopping power of your soon to be car and how responsive it can be when you need full brakes.

After this, we did 4 laps around the track. This is moreso to get used to the car, cornering, braking, steering.

2nd to last, we headed over to the wet track. Here it's to demonstrate traction control. Everybody in our group used my test M4 as it'd be hilariously bad to see people spin out in a X5. This was ultra fun as the instructor takes over the e-brake, he tells you when to floor it and bam 360 spins!

After this, our group then all hopped into X5s and headed over to the production plant. Spent an hour here seeing the whole production process start to finish. Very cool and a huge, huge facility.

On the way back, this was the best part of the day for me. We did off road stuff in our X5s. Unfortunately we couldn't do the trudging through water as apparently gators have taken residence in the waters that the workers are trying to shoo away. This portion was very cool and I won't ruin it for you. It's a blast to realize what an X5 can do.

Lunch break. BTW, the food is awesome. Make sure you take a bunch of waters and other snacks for later for the road trip back home. Wish we had thought of this before our 10hr trek. It's all free. Obviously don't ransack the cafeteria.

After lunch, we headed to the gift shop until our instructors paired us of to our respective bought cars. You get 15% off at the gift shop. We got free travel mugs and hats, so try to steer away from purchasing these from the gift shop if you were thinking about this ahead of time.

Took about 1.5-2hrs going over the car. All the ins and outs, all the buttons and settings in idrive.

I had a blast! I didn't think it'd be as much fun, and I felt bad for the fiancée as I thought she'd have a boring time. She had a blast, from wailing on the throttle on a M4, to doing 360 spins, off-road stuff, and seeing cars built, I was very glad she had a great time.

Have fun, be safe, do all the activities. Try to break that brake during the braking test. Whatever you think is a hard brake, trust me it is not. You WILL have to literally stand and put all your weight into the brake pedal for the instructor to give you high praise. I thought I was braking hard as a mfer, but instructor said..."eh, maybe 60% braking. Need more brake". I'm like Wtf, I thought I was jamming on this thing.

Edit, I forgot another awesome thing. After the 360 spins and before we headed off to the production plant, we all went into M5s with an instructor and gave us a hot lap around the track. Try to sit in the passenger seat. I sat in the back and I was sliding all over the place and I got car sick which I rarely get. The fiancée had a hell of a view without the nausea. Man, those instructors are sick with the driving skills.
Awesome write up thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellascout View Post
Awesome write up thanks!
Forgot about your last question.

I took my car over to Extreme Colors for my PPF. They said the car did not need any paint correction nor where there any swirls or scratches from the showroom. Overall the performance center did a bang up job.

Even saw 2 workers randomly spray and clean the car throughout the afternoon. They manage to take real good care of the cars. I wouldn't worry at all.
Appreciate 2
SMGCFP584.50
      07-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
rellascout
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2019 BMW M550ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Forgot about your last question.

I took my car over to Extreme Colors for my PPF. They said the car did not need any paint correction nor where there any swirls or scratches from the showroom. Overall the performance center did a bang up job.

Even saw 2 workers randomly spray and clean the car throughout the afternoon. They manage to take real good care of the cars. I wouldn't worry at all.
Good to hear. I would hope that they would do better than the avg dealer. I have already talked to my detailer so I think I will be ok. I am looking forward to the experience and then getting back there for a 1 or 2 day M School.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can't believe how much I forgot in 3 short years. This is a more thorough explanation of what I described.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

If I lived that close to the center, I would pick up EVERY BMW/Mini I ordered there!

The only downside to my experience was...
The "expert" who went over my X6 (2011) was ... um.... clueless? He saw I had a spare and said "oh, you must not have gotten run-flats". #dummy

and he put my front plate one (required here in IL, so drop it) in such a way that when the lease was over, they could not get it off. They said "who put this plate on?" - when I told them it was BMW* they were amazed.

*To be fair, from what I hear, most of the people at PCD are contractors, not BMW employees.
Appreciate 0