VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Will Donald Trump be Impeached or will this blowback on Biden
Orange Trump bad. Trump gone. 82 32.03%
Trump Trump-umphant. 88 34.38%
Inclusive 18 7.03%
Biden C4'd to oblivion. 74 28.91%
Biden grows in strength and gets shot in the arm for nomination. 10 3.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

12-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #3961
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
And now we're arguing about roofing.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #3962
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I guess he forgot that he's the president of ALL states, not just the ones who like him.

Says the guy on the side of the isle that continues to repeat the "not my president" mantra.

I don't personally think the federal government should be involved in infrastructure in any location with the USA. That is a state issue, not a federal issue.
      12-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #3963
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Where do you draw the line between state funded and federally funded anyway?
Easy - the federal government should provide for the common defense of the country and some other basic projects that affect 100% of the locations in the country. Other than that, the federal government should stay out. I could seriously eliminate nearly 2/3 of the entire federal government tomorrow. Just a few that have no business being a department or agency:

Department of Agriculture
Department of Commerce
Department of Education
Department of Energy
Department of Health and Human Services
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Department of the Interior
Department of Justice
Department of Labor
Department of Transportation

Ones I am okay with:

Department of the Treasury
Department of Veterans Affairs
Department of State
Department of Defense
Department of Homeland Security
      12-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #3964
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
If the top floor floods the complex would most likely collapse.

The states already have a federal budget for transportation. I couldn't care less about Trump in this situation, I agree that this was probably political for him. But I don't understand why this project warrants federal money on its own. It doesn't affect enough people.
Nearly 450 trans-Hudson trains every day affects a staggering number of people. NYC is the essentially our showpiece city, whether you like it or not. If we let it crumble, we all look bad. The current tunnels are 110 years old. Hell, the bridge my train goes over each day is 120 years old and both of these passages are key crossings for the busiest rail corridor in the nation. It's not a pet project, it is a crucial infrastructure need.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #3965
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
NYC is the essentially our showpiece city, whether you like it or not. If we let it crumble, we all look bad.
That is ridiculous. You have to get out more.
Appreciate 1
anglo50175.00

12-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #3966
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Says the guy on the side of the isle that continues to repeat the "not my president" mantra.

I don't personally think the federal government should be involved in infrastructure in any location with the USA. That is a state issue, not a federal issue.
I have never said that and I don't think you want me to go into the gems that have come from "your side" of the aisle.

As I've stated before, I am not married to a party and have voted for both Ds and Rs. Can you say the same?

Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #3967
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
That is ridiculous. You have to get out more.
We get 60 million visitors a year, the most of any US city. It's not my opinion, it's a fact. I get out plenty, thank you.

Appreciate 1
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #3968
anglo
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Nearly 450 trans-Hudson trains every day affects a staggering number of people. NYC is the essentially our showpiece city, whether you like it or not. If we let it crumble, we all look bad. The current tunnels are 110 years old. Hell, the bridge my train goes over each day is 120 years old and both of these passages are key crossings for the busiest rail corridor in the nation. It's not a pet project, it is a crucial infrastructure need.
People in NY and NJ are some of the highest taxed innthe country.

Why not put most of that money into infrastructure instead of more useless social programs and waste!
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #3969
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We get 60 million visitors a year, the most of any US city. It's not my opinion, it's a fact. I get out plenty, thank you.
I have visited NYC once, 33 years ago, for 3 days. I saw 2 muggings and 1 purse snatching, hookers and vagrants. The city was dirty, smelled like piss, and appeared unkept. Maybe my perspective is warped from that.......... I would not call anything like that a "showpiece", though. Did it ever occur to you that maybe just a few of those people HAD to visit NYC for business, not pleasure? In any case, NYC or NY state transportation woes are not a federal issue, and should be paid for with NY dollars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #3970
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
People in NY and NJ are some of the highest taxed innthe country.

Why not put most of that money into infrastructure instead of more useless social programs and waste!
Yet it is 31st most federally dependent state (CT, where I live, is 41st). We are subsidizing, not the other way around.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #3971
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
I have visited NYC once, 33 years ago, for 3 days. I saw 2 muggings and 1 purse snatching, hookers and vagrants. The city was dirty, smelled like piss, and appeared unkept. Maybe my perspective is warped from that.......... I would not call anything like that a "showpiece", though. Did it ever occur to you that maybe just a few of those people HAD to visit NYC for business, not pleasure? In any case, NYC or NY state transportation woes are not a federal issue, and should be paid for with NY dollars.
Yet I'm here every day for the last 16 years and have seen exactly zero (though vagrants are an issue for every large US city). The city, and everything else in the world lol, has changed drastically since you last visited in 1986... seems like maybe you need to get out more.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #3972
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yet I'm here every day for the last 16 years and have seen exactly zero (though vagrants are an issue for every large US city). The city, and everything else in the world lol, has changed drastically since you last visited in 1986... seems like maybe you need to get out more.
The only reason I have to ever visit again is to see the 9/11 memorial. Other than that, I really have no reason to visit. I do get out plenty as well, and choose to visit places that are new to me.

That all aside, Federal dollars should not go to fix your 120 year old bridges. Maybe they should up local taxes a little more?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #3973
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
The only reason I have to ever visit again is to see the 9/11 memorial. Other than that, I really have no reason to visit. I do get out plenty as well, and choose to visit places that are new to me.

That all aside, Federal dollars should not go to fix your 120 year old bridges. Maybe they should up local taxes a little more?
Give it another shot. There is A LOT to see outside of the tourist traps. Since 1986, everything will be new to you. I remember coming to the city as a kid and seeing nothing but strip clubs and peep shows but that era is LONG gone.

These bridges carry people and freight over large swaths of the country, not just our town or city. Doesn't the Federal government pay for "your wall" down there?

Appreciate 2
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #3974
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
I lived and worked in NYC 33 years ago and don’t question your statement at all, it was very dark times under the mayorships of Koch and Dinkens but since Giuliani took the keys to the city there’s been a complete 180* in many ways here. Today NYC is at the top of the list of safest big U.S. cities and much cleaner then most metropolis’ in the country.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

New York isn’t even near the top of the list of payouts from the Fed for handouts.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/s...vernment.html/

And NY is #2 on list of the giving their hard earned money to those same Feds.
Let’s not forget that Infrastructure Federal funds are given to ALL our states.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 12-09-2019 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go3627.00
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #3975
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I lived and worked in NYC 33 years ago and donít question your statement at all, it was very dark times under the mayorships of Koch and Dinkens but since Giuliani took the keys to the city thereís been a complete 180* in many ways here. Today NYC is at the top of the list of safest big U.S. cities and much cleaner then most metropolisí in the country.
Did N54Yankee just back me up on something?

Appreciate 1
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #3976
cmyx6go
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6 ///M

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [0.00]
Quote:
I lived and worked in NYC 33 years ago and donít question your statement at all, it was very dark times under the mayorships of Koch and Dinkens but since Giuliani took the keys to the city thereís been a complete 180* in many ways here. Today NYC is at the top of the list of safest big U.S. cities and much cleaner then most metropolisí in the country.
Agree 100%. NYC was a mess back in the 80s. Giuliani cleaned it up big time. It's a much better place now.

12-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #3977
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Did N54Yankee just back me up on something?
Iíve said the same thing here numerous times since Iíve been a member on the forum. Not withstanding, thankfully we canít possibly disagree on absolutely everything.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #3978
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Iíve said the same thing here numerous times since Iíve been a member on the forum. Not withstanding, thankfully we canít possibly disagree on absolutely everything.
So you're saying there's a chance...

Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2237.50
minn196617.50

12-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #3979
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Give it another shot. There is A LOT to see outside of the tourist traps. Since 1986, everything will be new to you. I remember coming to the city as a kid and seeing nothing but strip clubs and peep shows but that era is LONG gone.

These bridges carry people and freight over large swaths of the country, not just our town or city. Doesn't the Federal government pay for "your wall" down there?
I do not doubt one bit that it has changed in 33 years, in fact I would hope so, and be shocked if it had not!

The wall? What wall? Do you have Google Earth? Look up Nogales Az, and then follow "the wall" a few miles out of town in either direction. What is a fence in town turns into nothing more than a cattle guard, with roads coming up on both sides from the North and South just a few miles to the East and West. There are hundreds of miles along the Southern border just like this. The wall is an absolutely necessary part of defending the nation, falling under federal jurisdiction. Hardly the same thing as keeping NYC a "showpiece".
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #3980
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Yeah, I have to roll my eyes every time I hear him talk about how much he's "for infrastructure." He essentially killed the much needed hudson river tunnel between NYC and NJ. It's a been a top infrastructure priority for years and the Trump administration reneged on the deal to fund half of it. Millions of Americans are affected by it but the project involves two states that did not vote for him so... dead. I guess he forgot that he's the president of ALL states, not just the ones who like him.
Since i am involved in state and federally funded infrastructure projects daily, I can maybe shed some light on what is/isnt federally funded.

Typically, funding from the state significantly outweighs funding from the federal level. For example, a recent Interstate Project i was involved in recently received $200mill from the state, ~$100mill from the feds, ~$50-75 mill from the surrounding communities. A water infrastructure project im currently involved in gets $10mill from the state, $5mill from the feds, $25mill from the local municipalities. In all the projects I have done over the last decade +, federal funding has been at most, 50% of state funding, unless it is a Federal Project site, or is classified as a high priority site/project by Homeland Security.

The Federal Government isnt here to fund local projects. It is here to help supplement states funding, and shouldnt be expected to be a significant contributor.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #3981
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Considering how much ny and nj tax us and the tolls which are 15 dollars for a car and over a 100 for a tractor trailer they should not need any federal aid.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #3982
hubbahubba
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

New York isnít even near the top of the list of payouts from the Fed for handouts.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/s...vernment.html/

And NY is #2 on list of the giving their hard earned money to those same Feds.
Letís not forget that Infrastructure Federal funds are given to ALL our states.
Thank you, and it is nice to see that NYC didn't make that list!
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2237.50