VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
JRosson
Registered
Rep
Drives: F150 Raptor, JK Rubicon

Question Top Not Locked

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just picked up a 15 M4 conv. Last week Getting a periodic “top not locked” warning while driving with the top up. Comes and goes, but when it’s active the top will not function (go down) or reset the locks. I get a message in the advisor “top Opening/ closing temporarily not available please see owners manual”. I have looked in the manual from one end to the other and no insight into this warning.
It happens usually while driving (only with the top up). But it did appear last night after returning to the car and starting up. No movement at all. Top was up and no warning when I parked the car.
Just hoping others might have some insight into this issue. Bought this car used from a BMW dealer out of state and so far they have not responded with any help or offer to help. Reported to them second day after purchase, we are now at a week. Basically I think they are telling me to pound sand. I do understand used is as is, but I expected a little more.
My thoughts are its a pressure switch/contact that indicates locked that is malfunctioning. The top is locked and closed tightly all around.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Have you checked to make sure the trunk is closed, the cargo partition is securely down and top fully closed when closing? I have only seen that message once and it was followed by a warning that the trunk wasn’t fully closed (was in parking lot). I got out and checked and the cargo was pushing up on the partition and trunk not fully closed. Once resolved, that fixed the top issue.

If you google “bmw m4 top not locked” there are some articles and posts about it and it looks like it could be a sensor as you indicated.
      02-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
sna66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 SS on SS

Not sure if this will work, but I'd recommend getting the Carly app and scanning the car to see if it returns any codes, if it is a sensor it might be able to indicate which sensor it is
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 228i  [3.00]
All of the above, and try a different dealership or a good Indy shop to diagnose.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT Melbourne
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Have you checked to make sure the trunk is closed, the cargo partition is securely down and top fully closed when closing? I have only seen that message once and it was followed by a warning that the trunk wasn’t fully closed (was in parking lot). I got out and checked and the cargo was pushing up on the partition and trunk not fully closed. Once resolved, that fixed the top issue.

If you google “bmw m4 top not locked” there are some articles and posts about it and it looks like it could be a sensor as you indicated.
+1

That happened in my e89 z4

The top also needed to be adjusted at dealer twice in the 36 month I owned the car.

If the partition is secure, take it in to get the sensors inspected before you get stuck with the roof inoperable at a bad time.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Q-Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRosson View Post
Just picked up a 15 M4 conv. Last week Getting a periodic "top not locked" warning while driving with the top up. Comes and goes, but when it's active the top will not function (go down) or reset the locks. I get a message in the advisor "top Opening/ closing temporarily not available please see owners manual". I have looked in the manual from one end to the other and no insight into this warning.
It happens usually while driving (only with the top up). But it did appear last night after returning to the car and starting up. No movement at all. Top was up and no warning when I parked the car.
Just hoping others might have some insight into this issue. Bought this car used from a BMW dealer out of state and so far they have not responded with any help or offer to help. Reported to them second day after purchase, we are now at a week. Basically I think they are telling me to pound sand. I do understand used is as is, but I expected a little more.
My thoughts are its a pressure switch/contact that indicates locked that is malfunctioning. The top is locked and closed tightly all around.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
Hey Justin I just picked up 2015 m4 vert and I have ran into this exact problem. The warning comes on says top not locked and I double check the cargo lid to make sure it's locked and it is. It seems to go away if I restart the car. My next try is the get the Carly app and see if there is any codes. Let me know what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
REB_TN_15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Conv, Lexus GX460

Seeing similar messages for 15 model. Can anyone share a drawing that shows the location of the sensors that are being referred to?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
REB_TN_15
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Conv, Lexus GX460

Found this document to diagnose top issues. Can anyone confirm if the Carly app will allow you to read the sensor positions/status shown?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10150894-9999.pdf (11.47 MB, 4 views)