BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5639
Rep
18,552
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Shifting Gears and Dynamic Cruise Control

Based on order guides available from various countries, I see that the F8x will get Dynamic Cruise Control (544).

This a adds a number of subtle and not-so-subtle features. The feature I am most curious about is the automatic speed resume on completion of a gear shift. My E90 335i had this and at first I found it extremely annoying, but eventually I got used to it and actually ended up liking it. In contrast, the E9x M3 did not have this feature - it just had standard cruise control (540). And by the way, this feature was present for both the manual and automatic transmissions on the E9x 3 Series (I had the former).

Questions:

- Does Dynamic Cruise Control as implemented today on the F3x have this feature?

- If yes, will the F8x have this specific feature or will it only have the braking features such as while cornering or descending?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
9375
Rep
22,992
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)


http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_control.html


"...Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed. The driver can change this in increments of 1 or 10 km/h. Acceleration and deceleration in two dynamic settings can be controlled by manipulating the lever on the steering column or the paddle on the steering wheel (Comfort Dynamic system)."



I wonder if the new M4/M3 cars will also get:

Active Cruise Control
Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function



???


Dack
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5639
Rep
18,552
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_control.html


"...Dynamic cruise control is an electronic cruise control system with an extra braking function. This also includes the Curve Speed Limiter that reduces the speed in curves for comfortable lateral acceleration. At the end of the curve the car accelerates and resumes the original speed. The driver can change this in increments of 1 or 10 km/h. Acceleration and deceleration in two dynamic settings can be controlled by manipulating the lever on the steering column or the paddle on the steering wheel (Comfort Dynamic system)."
Right, thanks for posting that up, Dackelone. I am aware of all of those details already, but as you can see there is no mention about the interaction between the cruise control and the shift operation. Does this mean they've abandoned the automatic speed resume on shift? I don't know. That's what I am hoping to get answered.

Quote:
I wonder if the new M4/M3 cars will also get:

Active Cruise Control
Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function


???
No. No official ordering information from any country so far has made mention of that option being available. The US military order sheet makes mention of it, but I am confident that is merely an incorrect guess on their part and that it will not actually be offered by BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5639
Rep
18,552
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Anyone with an F30 without the Active Cruise option or who has spent time in one able to chime in (Sedan_Clan? )?

I checked the manual and it says:

Quote:
The system is automatically interrupted if:
...
▷ The clutch pedal is depressed.
▷ Transmission position D is disengaged.
...
But for the first case, it is ambiguous since it does not say whether it reengages automatically once you release the clutch (my E90 335i did) or if you have to do that manually. And for the second case, that does not cover manual-mode operation.

Edit: Ok, apparently the F30 cruise will indeed resume after a shift:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706468
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932207

Now, I'll just have to wait a few months to drive an F8x to get the second question answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4304
Rep
15,608
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Anyone with an F30 without the Active Cruise option or who has spent time in one able to chime in (Sedan_Clan? )?

I checked the manual and it says:



But for the first case, it is ambiguous since it does not say whether it reengages automatically once you release the clutch (my E90 335i did) or if you have to do that manually. And for the second case, that does not cover manual-mode operation.

Edit: Ok, apparently the F30 cruise will indeed resume after a shift:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706468
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932207

Now, I'll just have to wait a few months to drive an F8x to get the second question answered.

I don't have ACC on my F30, but my neighbor's F30 has the option. I think my patrol partners 435i might have it as well. I'll find out tonight. I will say that the ACC is quite nifty and the algorithm for braking is well implemented.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5639
Rep
18,552
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I don't have ACC on my F30, but my neighbor's F30 has the option. I think my patrol partners 435i might have it as well. I'll find out tonight. I will say that the ACC is quite nifty and the algorithm for braking is well implemented.
Ok, but to be clear, I am not talking about ACC since the F8x won't get that. This is the standard cruise control on the F3x, which is called Dynamic Cruise Control because that sounds more exciting.

I do agree that the Active Cruise is a nifty gizmo though, especially the one with Stop & Go. Not that I typically want the car to drive for me, mind you, but it is still pretty cool tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4304
Rep
15,608
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ok, but to be clear, I am not talking about ACC since the F8x won't get that. This is the standard cruise control on the F3x, which is called Dynamic Cruise Control because that sounds more exciting.

I do agree that the Active Cruise is a nifty gizmo though, especially the one with Stop & Go. Not that I typically want the car to drive for me, mind you, but it is still pretty cool tech.

Ok. So basically you want to know if the DCC will resume speed after shifting (..I presume you mean on a MT equipped car). If that is your question, the answer is yes. The DCC will remain engaged unless you depress the brake pedal or switch DCC off using the steering wheel controls. What's your second question (..I think I missed it)?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5639
Rep
18,552
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ok. So basically you want to know if the DCC will resume speed after shifting (..I presume you mean on a MT equipped car). If that is your question, the answer is yes. The DCC will remain engaged unless you depress the brake pedal or switch DCC off using the steering wheel controls.

Thank you.

And regarding your question about transmission type, I was wondering about both manual and auto, or where the F8x is concerned, both manual and DCT

Assuming that the F8x does end up behaving this same way, I think this will catch some people off guard because, while the 3 Series got this feature last generation, the M3 did not. I have the habit of downshifting very early, myself, so I often shift first, brake second (which I realize is not strictly correct if we are being picky). My first experience with this feature in the E90 335i was coming off an expressway and downshifting on an exit ramp. I nearly rear-ended the guy in front of me because I expected the car to decelerate, not go right back up to speed when I put it back in gear.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST