proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #23
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfoggy View Post
Have you two tried to fix your backs rather than the car/seat??
Yep, had the full works but unfortunately there are some things that make it worse.. the M4 cp seat being one of them..
      11-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #24
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Number 2 on here work well for my back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Number 2 on here work well for my back!
Will give it a go, willing to try anything at the mo..

I was even at the point of trading the m4 in for a 435d GC
      11-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #26
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Mine was getting worse, at first it was only a slight knocking and by the time it went in it was louder..

If I am 100% honest I think the 330d xdrive is one of the best cars I have driven even if it's a touring. It goes really well, I can get all the power down and it's so comfortable. I am genuinely surprised how good it is and I have had a 997.2 c2s (from new), m4, golf gti's, mercs etc and so far the 330d xdrive is everything in one package. If I had my time again I am not sure I would pick the m4 simply because it's so bad at putting the power down and the 330/335 xdrive is so good.

My back has not been great since I got the m4 and I think it's because the seat doesn't support my lower back. I actually find the seat really comfortable but I don't think it's doing my back any good.
So, is the handling ok in the xdrive then?

See, I was sort of in a similar position ...... I had a brand new 530d given to me for 9 weeks while the M3 was in on the diff recall. I was so I impressed with it. Thought it was quick around town and up to 60, but once you push on it was lacking a little, but it is a heavier car than the 330d. The handling was really good and really balanced and I was amazed for a big car how good it was.

Now, a few years ago the M cars I guess we're streets ahead of the cooking models. This made them stand out and well worth the extra.

But these days, the non M models are so good, it's sometimes difficult to justify an M car. I can absolutely see why Guy has done the improvements to his car and I bet is so much better than standard.

The M3/4 is a brilliant car, but there isn't a massive gap between this and normal cars like there was. I bet these days the 340i probably isn't that far behind in performance from how owners describe them. And they are a bit more comfortable lol!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:
Mine was getting worse, at first it was only a slight knocking and by the time it went in it was louder..

If I am 100% honest I think the 330d xdrive is one of the best cars I have driven even if it's a touring. It goes really well, I can get all the power down and it's so comfortable. I am genuinely surprised how good it is and I have had a 997.2 c2s (from new), m4, golf gti's, mercs etc and so far the 330d xdrive is everything in one package. If I had my time again I am not sure I would pick the m4 simply because it's so bad at putting the power down and the 330/335 xdrive is so good.

My back has not been great since I got the m4 and I think it's because the seat doesn't support my lower back. I actually find the seat really comfortable but I don't think it's doing my back any good.

See, I was sort of in a similar position ...... I had a brand new 530d given to me for 9 weeks while the M3 was in on the diff recall. I was so I impressed with it. Thought it was quick around town and up to 60, but once you push on it was lacking a little, but it is a heavier car than the 330d. The handling was really good and really balanced and I was amazed for a big car how good it was.

Now, a few years ago the M cars I guess we're streets ahead of the cooking models. This made them stand out and well worth the extra.

But these days, the non M models are so good, it's sometimes difficult to justify an M car. I can absolutely see why Guy has done the improvements to his car and I bet is so much better than standard.

The M3/4 is a brilliant car, but there isn't a massive gap between this and normal cars like there was. I bet these days the 340i probably isn't that far behind in performance from how owners describe them. And they are a bit more comfortable lol!
Going from a 435i to an M3 I can honestly say there is a big difference.

The M is so much more aggressive and raw.

If you want quick, comfy and refined go *40i

If you want a beast go M!!
Appreciate 2
dopper993511.00
JovanUK141.50
      11-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #28
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree, the m is very raw and I do really like it but you do get 90% of the m in the 330/335/340 and on normal roads you have to ask yourself do you actually need the extra 10%..

Andy, totally get where you are with the 530d and yes when you push on I am sure if feel heavy an no where near as good as the m but I guess the question is how many time do you push it that hard?
      11-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #29
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree, the m is very raw and I do really like it but you do get 90% of the m in the 330/335/340 and on normal roads you have to ask yourself do you actually need the extra 10%..

Andy, totally get where you are with the 530d and yes when you push on I am sure if feel heavy an no where near as good as the m but I guess the question is how many time do you push it that hard?
Yep this is very true. But for me I just had to have an M if I could might not get the chance again and might not want one again but at least I have done it :-)

550i next :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #30
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep this is very true. But for me I just had to have an M if I could might not get the chance again and might not want one again but at least I have done it :-)

550i next :-)
Yep same as me, needed to have an m as I had never owned one.. You only live once and you have to take the chance when you get it
      11-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Have you two tried to fix your backs rather than the car/seat??
Not done any exercises, just persevered with the seat and changing positions, and I think we've there!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #32
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep same as me, needed to have an m as I had never owned one.. You only live once and you have to take the chance when you get it
This is an interesting conversation regarding M3 ownership, think I'm going to start a new thread on this with my own thoughts......

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
ajfoggy1516.00
      11-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #33
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Knocking being investigated on Monday, any news on yours??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #34
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Knocking being investigated on Monday, any news on yours??
Other than a new shock nothing as yet
      11-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #35
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F85 X5M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have had this lately, I first noticed it when rear has passed over speed bump and seemed to come from nearside. I have heard it 3 times since and usually on uneven surfaces. Does sound exactly like the exhaust is knocking underneath but will definitely take mine in to get it checked.
      11-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #36
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesca80 View Post
I have had this lately, I first noticed it when rear has passed over speed bump and seemed to come from nearside. I have heard it 3 times since and usually on uneven surfaces. Does sound exactly like the exhaust is knocking underneath but will definitely take mine in to get it checked.
Yep that is it, they believe it to be the shock absorber knocking inside.. Parts have to come from Germany so expect a 7-10 day wait plus fitting.

Both BMW and the dealer have been very good at helping me resolve this
      11-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #37
DEBZ-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 F80

Just come across this in my 6month old m3! Been knocking from rear for a couple of weeks now. Gonna have 2 get it checked out
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #38
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Mine is booked in for tomorrow, see what they say
      11-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #39
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Mine was in today for the recall diff oil change and I demo'd a couple of rattles, including very slight knocking from the rear. They couldn't really see much wrong but decided to order a new shock anyway. Takes 5 days to come from Germany.

The BMW M technician at my local dealership was superb, we went out for a demo of the rattles and had a great chat. He is a real M car enthusiast and has an M5 ... Although this is going as he's getting an M4 CP soon.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #40
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mine was in today for the recall diff oil change and I demo'd a couple of rattles, including very slight knocking from the rear. They couldn't really see much wrong but decided to order a new shock anyway. Takes 5 days to come from Germany.

The BMW M technician at my local dealership was superb, we went out for a demo of the rattles and had a great chat. He is a real M car enthusiast and has an M5 ... Although this is going as he's getting an M4 CP soon.
Did they suggest changing the shock or did you mention other people were having the same problem?
      11-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #41
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Did they suggest changing the shock or did you mention other people were having the same problem?
Yes Scott, I'd mentioned I'd heard of people like yourselves having issues but he did not indicate it was something that was common - or maybe they dont see many M3's in the dealership, dunno.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #42
jimmyca69
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Did they say you couldn't drive it or have they said to bring it in when part arrives?
      11-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #43
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did they say you couldn't drive it or have they said to bring it in when part arrives?
Mine said I could drive it but they could not guarantee it would not fail so I made the choice not to have it back. (I drive my son to school and didn't want the risk)
      11-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #44
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The tech guy did say it was fine to drive. I think my noise is very minimal, but can be heard on certain surfaces.
When I went out with Scott with it the other night we couldnt hear it on the roads we were on, but when I took the tech guy out in it we could hear it.

My guess is visually the shocks are all fine so I assume just to be on the safe side, they are ordering one in. It may not cure the rattle of course, if its not the shock!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0