ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 maintenance plan transfer

Hi,
So I was planning on doing a European delivery next summer with performance center delivery to follow on a f80. The problem is that I went for a test drive and long story short - I'm in the process of buying a 6 month old 2017 M3 with 550miles on it and 2 owners according to CARFAX. On top of it I will pay $1800 more than I would've for the 2018. It is the 30 jahre edition so it makes it a little more special... it may be a stupid decision, but I fell in love with the color and it's a DCT, so the wife can drive it also.
Anyway, what are my chances of getting the maintenance plan transferred to my ownership? I know some rules were changed and there is a fee involved, but I can't seem to find the info... Thanks in advance!
      06-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnphilosfr View Post
Hi,
So I was planning on doing a European delivery next summer with performance center delivery to follow on a f80. The problem is that I went for a test drive and long story short - I'm in the process of buying a 6 month old 2017 M3 with 550miles on it and 2 owners according to CARFAX. On top of it I will pay $1800 more than I would've for the 2018. It is the 30 jahre edition so it makes it a little more special... it may be a stupid decision, but I fell in love with the color and it's a DCT, so the wife can drive it also.
Anyway, what are my chances of getting the maintenance plan transferred to my ownership? I know some rules were changed and there is a fee involved, but I can't seem to find the info... Thanks in advance!
I think basic warranty is automatically transferred - it follows the car. Any kind of extended plan or maintenance plan would non transferable. If they still have the fee. The previous owner would have to transfer it to you. Carmax or a dealer may not be able to.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

I "think" it depends on if the maintenance plan was refreshed on it previously. I remember reading that dealerships could "refresh" the maintenance plan (for a fee, on transfer).

No idea what the fee is, or if that would apply to a 2 owner 550 mile vehicle. Frankly... the fact that 2 people had then gave that car up would REALLY concern me, jahre edition or not...
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you for the input. As far as the two owners are concerned, it is at a Porsche dealership, so someone just traded it on a Porsche (or so I was told by the salesman) and I can't decipher if the 2nd owner is a mistake on the Carfax... it might have been purchased for profit by the first owner due to the limited number of cars available first owner took possession with 90 miles on it and sold it with 140 miles. I can speculate forever, but at least I have the factory warranty in case something is wrong. I sure hope not. Thanks again!
      06-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
The warranty will of course transfer; the maintenance plan will not.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Thank you!
      06-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Right, but I have seen a current BMW CA (on the other forum) mention that maintenance plans could be "refreshed" for a fee by the dealer on transfer.

Here is a quote from this person on the other board late last year regarding maintenance plans:

===============================

The current transferability of warranty and maintenance plans was changed primarily due to off-brand competition.

Non-franchise dealers and auto brokers could purchase BMW's at auction or take them in trade and then be able to tout them as "CPO" or free maintenance.

Starting with Model Year 2014, BMW cut this off by limiting transferability of maintenance and CPO warranty.

But, if a BMW dealer takes in a CPO or a vehicle in the new vehicle maintenance plan, they can can "refresh" the coverage and sell it accordingly.

BUT

There is a consumer refresh for $700 as the poster mentioned. The dealer refresh is internal.

================================

So, I think there is an internal BMW dealership "refresh" they can do for a fee to refresh the maintenance on a car on sale if the car meets the right criteria. I dont know what that criteria is. The $700 fee might be the customer facing part of the charge.

If you are buying from a BMW dealer, I would ask them if they can refresh the maintenance plan on the car and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Quote:

Right, but I have seen a current BMW CA (on the other forum) mention that maintenance plans could be "refreshed" for a fee by the dealer on transfer.

Here is a quote from this person on the other board late last year regarding maintenance plans:

===============================

The current transferability of warranty and maintenance plans was changed primarily due to off-brand competition.

Non-franchise dealers and auto brokers could purchase BMW's at auction or take them in trade and then be able to tout them as "CPO" or free maintenance.

Starting with Model Year 2014, BMW cut this off by limiting transferability of maintenance and CPO warranty.

But, if a BMW dealer takes in a CPO or a vehicle in the new vehicle maintenance plan, they can can "refresh" the coverage and sell it accordingly.

BUT

There is a consumer refresh for $700 as the poster mentioned. The dealer refresh is internal.

================================

So, I think there is an internal BMW dealership "refresh" they can do for a fee to refresh the maintenance on a car on sale if the car meets the right criteria. I dont know what that criteria is. The $700 fee might be the customer facing part of the charge.

If you are buying from a BMW dealer, I would ask them if they can refresh the maintenance plan on the car and see what they say.
Thanks! It's a Porsche dealership unfortunately.
      06-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh thats right... sorry then you wont be able to get the maintenance plan refreshed (no real big loss). If you want an extended warranty you should be able to buy one from a BMW dealership... but not a CPO.
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
matt123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
You can get the refresh done at any BMW dealer at any time, some dealers will even discount from the $700. PM me if you want more info, I might be able to get you a better deal than $700.
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #11
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
Quote:
You can get the refresh done at any BMW dealer at any time, some dealers will even discount from the $700. PM me if you want more info, I might be able to get you a better deal than $700.
I'm picking up the car this Friday and if everything goes without a hitch I'll be interested in "refreshing" the maintenance plan. Thanks a million!
      06-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm picking up the car this Friday and if everything goes without a hitch I'll be interested in "refreshing" the maintenance plan. Thanks a million!
In terms of carfax I emailed them and claimed that there was an error on an old m3 it showed 5 owners but 3 of the owners were with in 3 months.. I claimed that one owner was a dealer and the other was when the lease was purchased by owner.. they switched it and consolidated owners as they figured there was no way it transferred owners in such a short period.. may be the case here. It the owner had to payoff a lease when traded in, DMV reports sale and it appears as if someone bought.. email carfax and they will fix it
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In terms of carfax I emailed them and claimed that there was an error on an old m3 it showed 5 owners but 3 of the owners were with in 3 months.. I claimed that one owner was a dealer and the other was when the lease was purchased by owner.. they switched it and consolidated owners as they figured there was no way it transferred owners in such a short period.. may be the case here. It the owner had to payoff a lease when traded in, DMV reports sale and it appears as if someone bought.. email carfax and they will fix it
I'm guessing it might be an error in this case as well. Thanks for the advice!
      06-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Anybody knows if the original owner has purchased ultimate care+ the maintenance plan transfers to the prospective owners even though the purchase goes through a non-bmw dealership?
      06-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan View Post
Anybody knows if the original owner has purchased ultimate care+ the maintenance plan transfers to the prospective owners even though the purchase goes through a non-bmw dealership?
I believe it doesnt under the new rules.

See http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ceprogram.aspx

Quote:
NON-TRANSFERABILITY
These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of coverage is that household transfers—transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center—will not terminate coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of coverage.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      06-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think this is for the basic maintenance plan that comes with the car. You can also purchase an additional plan called ultimate care+. It says it transfers to the prospective owners but I'm not sure if it has to be a private sale or not.
      06-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this is for the basic maintenance plan that comes with the car. You can also purchase an additional plan called ultimate care+. It says it transfers to the prospective owners but I'm not sure if it has to be a private sale or not.
Interesting. I am sure that there would be some fee associated with transferring it, I'm just not positive. I remember trying to get one of these extended plans transferred back in 2013 and it had a fee.
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      07-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for all the help! I decided to stick with the original plan and do European delivery and PCD to follow. Starting to slowly plan it all out. It will be next year, so we can do it in the summer, but I'm getting excited just thinking about it
      12-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #19
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

Quote:
@Tuscan I know this is old... but is there anyway to look up this information online? I have a F15 X5 I bought as a CPO and to my surprise came with the maintenance for 5 years 60,000 miles. I didn't have to pay a refresh fee of any kind. I just bought a CPO M4 and just wondering if I can look this up anywhere. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
Quote:
@Tuscan I know this is old... but is there anyway to look up this information online? I have a F15 X5 I bought as a CPO and to my surprise came with the maintenance for 5 years 60,000 miles. I didn't have to pay a refresh fee of any kind. I just bought a CPO M4 and just wondering if I can look this up anywhere. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Why don't you ask the Bmw dealership you bought? They should be able to verify that for you with your VIN.
      04-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #21
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

PSA: for model year 2017 and later, the maintenance plan refresh to the second owner is only $100. 36K / 3 years. I don't know where else to post this really, but it is very important info for second owners. Most of the threads quote $700, which is only true for MY2015-2016.

My service advisor lied and said I had to pay $700, but it would cover wear items. When he gave me the paperwork he was exposed, as there was a $100 and $600 separate charges listed - $100 for the refresh, and $600 for Ultimate Care Plus, which adds the wear items. That's the reason why you can't really ask dealers, when I called around, every dealer was confused since they assumed all new cars have maintenance plan (no, it stopped transferring in model year 2015), or that the refresh was $700 (it became $100 in MY2017).

I can try to find the exact order code as well.

There is no information online about the $100 refresh, and very few people know about it. Transparency is the enemy of good consumer choices.

For model years 2015-2016, when it covered 4 years/50K miles, it did indeed cost $500 to refresh.

This is actually the exact same thread I initially found when I looked into doing a refresh, and the reason I made the wrong mistake of initially buying the $700. I had to pay $100 + $600, then cancel the $600.

Last edited by EstorilM240; 04-26-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      07-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #22
hasrice
MOAR POWERRRR
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

This same thing is happenign to me right now. I bought the Ultimate care 2+ on a my2016, model year 2017 and they are adding an additional $500 refresher cost for this. Bringign the total to 3549 instead of 3099 quoted by bmw for this maintence plan. I asked them to show me proof of this 500 refresher fee and now they are saying that can't find that document that shows it (system is down). They also asked me what I would like to do in the event they can't furnish the proof of the refresher fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM240 View Post
PSA: for model year 2017 and later, the maintenance plan refresh to the second owner is only $100. 36K / 3 years. I don't know where else to post this really, but it is very important info for second owners. Most of the threads quote $700, which is only true for MY2015-2016.

My service advisor lied and said I had to pay $700, but it would cover wear items. When he gave me the paperwork he was exposed, as there was a $100 and $600 separate charges listed - $100 for the refresh, and $600 for Ultimate Care Plus, which adds the wear items. That's the reason why you can't really ask dealers, when I called around, every dealer was confused since they assumed all new cars have maintenance plan (no, it stopped transferring in model year 2015), or that the refresh was $700 (it became $100 in MY2017).

I can try to find the exact order code as well.

There is no information online about the $100 refresh, and very few people know about it. Transparency is the enemy of good consumer choices.

For model years 2015-2016, when it covered 4 years/50K miles, it did indeed cost $500 to refresh.

This is actually the exact same thread I initially found when I looked into doing a refresh, and the reason I made the wrong mistake of initially buying the $700. I had to pay $100 + $600, then cancel the $600.