European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #177
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
In my opinion, not worth the money...AT ALL. $8500 can get you a built engine. $8500 for an exhaust? You definitely have to be out of your mind to buy it. I don't care how much research they do, that is just way too much for pipes and a mod for some more sound. Especially for the gains....10-15hp? and some more noise? Get a downpipe, open your stock valves, and you will get a ton of noise, get the those turbos spooling faster, and save $7000..and probably make more power. In addition to the car's exhaust looking stock to police and everyone else, which is what you should want. Or at least for christ sake buy an exhaust that doesn't cost THAT much. $8500 with valves, and WITHOUT installation? Pssshhh

Go speak to car guys and tell them you spent $8500 for an exhaust system and they'll laugh at you.

And no offense to you brother, just wanted to make a point using your statement...and incase people are wondering, I had the Akra exhaust and stock cats, took the exhaust and sold it (since it was given to me for free), purchased an ER downpipe and did the valve mod on the stock exhaust and omg, huge difference. I feel the turbo spooling way faster, sound is better in my opinion, much deeper, and way more cost-efficient if you are considering buying. AND, no hassle from the Police....cops are smart, just by looking at the tips, they'll know the car is modded and it can be another reason to get pulled over. People always tell me that my car sounds amazing and that they can hear the turbos spooling...they bend over and look under the car and see that I have a stock exhaust and they're shocked that the car sounds so good. I don't tell them that I have downpipes, since they're completely hidden

You get the best of both worlds...you save a ton of money, get performance (with a proper tune, a lot more performance), and sound...some deep sound, especially at low RPMs.
Thank You

I am so glad that I read this. I had down pipes on my 335 and it was the best mod. I recently put in an IPE valved cat back system and it sounds a bit better, but down pipes and a tune to keep the waste gates open really was all that you needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #178
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Bedrosian View Post
Didn't know about that...just checked it out. YES, now THAT looks like an exhaust that fits the price range of a good exhaust system...and quite frankly, looks better in my opinion. Not a fan of carbon fiber tips. I like metal tips, and I'm sure the sound is amazing from that beautiful design.
The sound is awesome

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #179
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Thank You

I am so glad that I read this. I had down pipes on my 335 and it was the best mod. I recently put in an IPE valved cat back system and it sounds a bit better, but down pipes and a tune to keep the waste gates open really was all that you needed.
Yeah, if you have a good tune, its the best mod you can do for the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #180
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower View Post
The sound is awesome

I approve! =) Worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #181
eRiggs5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Wow. Sounds great! The price is perfect.

2020 Grand Cherokee Summit: Wife's
2016 BMW M3: Gone
2008 Lexus IS: Gone
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #182
Magna_Flow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Most aftermarket systems utilize the factory valve settings. Here is a list (other members feel free to add to it)

List of F8x M3/M4 exhaust that use the factory valve settings

1. Eisenmann
2. Akrapovic
3. M-Performance
4. Fabspeed
5. Remus
6. AWE
7. Magnaflow
8. Supersprint
Thanks for the mention! Thats correct, both of our exhausts retain valve functionality. Our Sport system is competitively priced at ~$2900, and Touring system ~$2700 depending on the dealer.

A couple videos:

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #183
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
Thanks for the mention! Thats correct, both of our exhausts retain valve functionality. Our Sport system is competitively priced at ~$2900, and Touring system ~$2700 depending on the dealer.

A couple videos:

That's a surprisingly nice looking, and well priced exhaust system. I was leaning toward the Active Autowerke setup but really want to retain the valve functionality (I leave at 5:30 for work, don't want to make my neighbors hate me).
      02-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #184
Mikewitdayasm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '96 M3 swapped Ti ,'15 M3

Dp's and tune for me.. M tax is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #185
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewitdayasm3 View Post
Dp's and tune for me.. M tax is ridiculous
Which DP and tune do you plan on getting?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #186
Mikewitdayasm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '96 M3 swapped Ti ,'15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Which DP and tune do you plan on getting?
All the down pipes will perform the same imo give or take a few hp so I'll be conservative and most likely get the ER dps and jb4 tune.. Haven't done much research since I just got the car but from what I've read ER is competitive with both quality and price
      02-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #187
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewitdayasm3 View Post
All the down pipes will perform the same imo give or take a few hp so I'll be conservative and most likely get the ER dps and jb4 tune.. Haven't done much research since I just got the car but from what I've read ER is competitive with both quality and price
Sounds good

Let me know if you have any questions

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #188
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M4

Quote:
The sound is awesome

Is this video cat back system only or does the car have DPs? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #189
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
AWE non-resonated vs M-Performance:

Just to be clear which was which?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #190
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

With the AA system do you lose the valve technology? So it's one volume all the time?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #191
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post
With the AA system do you lose the valve technology? So it's one volume all the time?
The car had downpipes in the video we posted.

& yes, the active system does not incorporate valves.

All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #192
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Deciding on a exhaust without DPs is too much effort. Think I may give up.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #193
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE
Quote:

Deciding on a exhaust without DPs is too much effort. Think I may give up.
We recommend starting with downpipes and then moving onto a cat-back solution.

The downpipes provide a huge change over stock, in both Performance and sound. Videos attached below:

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #194
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=supremepower;19353216]We recommend starting with downpipes and then moving onto a cat-back solution.

The downpipes provide a huge change over stock, in both Performance and sound. Videos attached below:

QUOTE]

so I am actually ok with the power and performance I have so will not be looking to improve in that area. also I don't want to start creating warranty issues as a result of changing down pipes and a remap. All I really want is a better sound.

So what is your advice? Just go axle back as the mid pipe makes little difference or go cat back?

Ideally I want a valve system but seems that the minute you go down that route you are really looking at $5.5k plus for a cat back system.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #195
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
[QUOTE=F16RCE;19353326]
Quote:

QUOTE]

so I am actually ok with the power and performance I have so will not be looking to improve in that area. also I don't want to start creating warranty issues as a result of changing down pipes and a remap. All I really want is a better sound.

So what is your advice? Just go axle back as the mid pipe makes little difference or go cat back?

Ideally I want a valve system but seems that the minute you go down that route you are really looking at $5.5k plus for a cat back system.

I was in the same boat. I settled for AWE full exhaust (stock DP) and at first I hated it. But then I got the BMS can flap. That changed everything.

Now,I blame my engine more than anything else for the sound. But when I got the AWE, I liked it when I heard it start up, but I hated how once I hit 4K the flap would open and it (to me) sounded like VTEC KICKED IN y0!

You get this DEEP ricer fart can "BAAAAAA" sound. Im just not crazy about that at all. To avoid it, I would shift before 4K. It made me go from a type A to a type B driver!

Then to the advice of another member here, I got the BMS can flap. That changed everything for me.

Now I keep my valves shut most of the time. Especially at cold start. The AWE with valves open on cold start is WAY to loud IMO. And when I dont care and want to be loud, I open them.

For me, I think the engine sounds like shit no matter what exhaust you put on. But I like the AWE with valves closed because its pretty quiet. And frankly, I would rather be silent than people hear it.

So I drive around in quiet mode and when someone messes with me, I'll open them valves up to what I consider a LOUD raw exhaust. The gurgles it makes rolling to a stop is awesome too!

Be warned though. Valves open is LOUD. But valves closed is very quiet. And having the BMS can flap to override OEM valve operation (and some other cool perks) by forcing it open, closed, or in OEM operation mode is very nice.

OH YEA. THE MQUEEF. I dont remember my stock exhaust doing this. But with the AWE, I can make my car EPIC FART aka "MQUEEF" SO hard I can literally scare the shit of people on the road.

If you build some good boost hitting the gas between 3-4K RPM and immediately lift off, the exhaust will let off the EPIC FART ripping sound. Otherwise known as the "MQUEEF"

It causes me to purposely do it to asshole drivers!!! Such as the million people who are texting and driving and drifting into my lane and such.

Ive been known to gass to pass these dangerous assholes, only to lift off my throttle exactly where my exhaust tips pass there driver side window.

The MQEEEF the AWE exhaust lets out is loud enough to startle someone like train horns do!

So with the AWE exhaust, you get great looks, LOUD AS hell exhaust if open. Dam near silent with vavles closed. With vavles open, you can make your M4 MQEEF on demand! Who wouldnt want to startle some asshole texting driver with that....lol

Hope my experience helps you choose. I highly suggest you dont buy anything until you hear it in person though.

Good luck!
      02-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #196
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
[QUOTE=F16RCE;19353326]
Quote:

I was in the same boat. I settled for AWE full exhaust (stock DP) and at first I hated it. But then I got the BMS can flap. That changed everything.

Now,I blame my engine more than anything else for the sound. But when I got the AWE, I liked it when I heard it start up, but I hated how once I hit 4K the flap would open and it (to me) sounded like VTEC KICK IN y0!

You get this DEEP ricer fart can "BAAAAAA" sound. Im just not crazy about that at all. To avoid it, I would shift before 4K. It made me go from a type A to a type B driver!

Then to the advice of another member here, I got the BMS can flap. That changed everything for me.

Now I keep my valves shut most of the time. Especially at cold start. The AWE with valves open on cold start is WAY to loud IMO. And when I dont care and want to be loud, I open them.

For me, I think the engine sounds like shit no matter what exhaust you put on. But I like the AWE with valves closed because its pretty quiet. And frankly, I would rather be silent than people hear it.

So I drive around in quiet mode and when someone messes with me, I'll open them valves up to what I consider a LOUD raw exhaust. The gurgles it makes rolling to a stop is awesome too!

Be warned though. Valves open is LOUD. But valves closed is very quiet. And having the BMS can flap to override OEM valve operation (and some other cool perks) by forcing it open, closed, or in OEM operation mode is very nice.

OH YEA. THE MQUEEF. I dont remember my stock exhaust doing this. But with the AWE, I can make my car EPIC FART aka "MQUEEF" SO hard I can literally scare the shit of people on the road.

If you build some good boost hitting the gas between 3-4K RPM and immediately lift off, the exhaust will let off the EPIC FART ripping sound. Otherwise known as the "MQUEEF"

It causes me to purposely do it to asshole drivers!!! Such as the million people who are texting and driving and drifting into my lane and such.

Ive been known to gass to pass these dangerous assholes, only to lift off my throttle exactly where my exhaust tips pass there driver side window.

The MQEEEF the AWE exhaust lets out is loud enough to startle someone like train horns do!

So with the AWE exhaust, you get great looks, LOUD AS hell exhaust if open. Dam near silent with vavles closed. With vavles open, you can make your M4 MQEEF on demand! With valves close, you wont MQEEF.

Hope my experience helps you choose. I highly suggest you dont buy anything until you hear it in person though.

Good luck!
      02-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #197
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
duplicate.
      02-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #198
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

[QUOTE=ILSMKU;19354520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post

Now,I blame my engine more than anything else for the sound. But when I got the AWE, I liked it when I heard it start up, but I hated how once I hit 4K the flap would open and it (to me) sounded like VTEC KICK IN y0!

So with the AWE exhaust, you get great looks, LOUD AS hell exhaust if open. Dam near silent with vavles closed. With vavles open, you can make your M4 MQEEF on demand! With valves close, you wont MQEEF.

Good luck!
Glad you finally got the BMS CanFLAP It really makes you love the AWE exhaust more. Because now you have FULL control over it's sound. Makes such a big difference.