Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #45
335ItotheSky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 8AT-Sport

"Most" High-End Polarized Glasses DUE interfere with being able to see the HUD. You will typically have to turn or tilt your head slightly, to see the readout.

Agree- this feature is a must have. Even with the issue of having to occasionally tilt/turn my head, I have found this to be the most useful feature on my current F30 and am def. not buying an M4 without it (nor have I seen any specd' without it, at least regionally). I don't even recall the last time I looked down at the analog speedo on the dash. It's that good.

As well, if you're moving at anything in the 3-digit speed range (on the track, of course), you'll truly appreciate it. It well worth the cost. The assistance it offers with Navigation is also not to be underrated. It's a visual HUGE asset when driving in unfamiliar terrain, etc.
'12 s1000rr, blue, all options, 100% stock, 200 mi.,
'00 R1150GS
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #46
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

I noticed during my ED the HUD would dim and brighten into and out of tunnels. I'm pretty sure it correlates it's brightness with some kind of ambient light sensor.
      11-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #47
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

HUD in my demo car was dimmed by at least 75% wearing Oliver Peoples Polarized. I plan on getting another pair of sunglasses to leave in the car when I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #48
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Picked up my car this week. I have HUD (love it) and confirmed it was dimmed significantly when wearing polarized Ray-Bans. But it was still visible while wearing the sunglasses.

Also, there is a brightness setting in the HUD menu in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #49
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Did anyone get a different result when they angled the HUD while wearing their sunglasses?

Reference comment #20
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #50
williocom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
I have an F30 w/the HUD, I assume it's the exact same (except for M mode, obviously) It doesn't auto-dim, but it does switch colors when the headlights come on. That is, during the day, when your lights are off, it displays white. During night, when your headlights are on, it displays orange. I always leave my headlights on Auto ON/OFF but I assume it would work the same if you manually switch them. There is also a way you can adjust the brightness in the setting, but it stays constant day or night. The only thing that changes is the text color. Hope that helps.
Does anyone get their HUD to change from white to orange at night? Mine just remains white.
///2015 M3 MW/SO (RETIRED)
///2011 e93 M3 AW/FR (RETIRED)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #51
Lister
Jimjamz
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Mineral Grey

Just get it. The car is so fast that without it you'll lose your license.
Attached Images

2001 E46 330i Sedan Silver
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #52
Lister
Jimjamz
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Mineral Grey

+1
2001 E46 330i Sedan Silver
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #53
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
HUD is an option I plan on having on all my future cars. I love it.

You can not only change the size of the HUD display, you can also adjust it to be lowered/raise and even tilted to the angle you want.

The rev display is not great, as it fills in segments rather than a smooth line from 0 to redline. I mainly used it for speed limit info, nav instructions, and song selection. I forget if you have ordered yours or not, but if not, HUD is worth the Exec package IMO.
This is my 2nd bmw hud and I agree it's great.

You commented that you can change the size of the hud. How are you doing this? I have never seen that setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #54
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by williocom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
I have an F30 w/the HUD, I assume it's the exact same (except for M mode, obviously) It doesn't auto-dim, but it does switch colors when the headlights come on. That is, during the day, when your lights are off, it displays white. During night, when your headlights are on, it displays orange. I always leave my headlights on Auto ON/OFF but I assume it would work the same if you manually switch them. There is also a way you can adjust the brightness in the setting, but it stays constant day or night. The only thing that changes is the text color. Hope that helps.
Does anyone get their HUD to change from white to orange at night? Mine just remains white.
My f30 was like this it would change to orange when the light was dim or dark seemed to be tied to the auto headlights with a slight delay. It actually was a distraction if you went through a few tunnels. this function was not carried over into the f80.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #55
trivialfate
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Msport

HUD video

Does anyone have a youtube link to how the hud looks on a 4 series? Cant find it anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #56
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr0x View Post
I think I've adjusted my HUD once in 1500mi. I do not think it auto dims. Mine is set to the highest brightness. No issues with polarized sunglasses.
There is no auto dim as far as I know, it has and up-down position setting for taller and shorter average guys.
Be sure this HUD is way way more easier to see with polarized sunglasses than my former X6M at least you get to see it in bright sunny days, and if you move your head just a little right or left it displays perfectly
      01-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #57
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
There is no auto dim as far as I know, it has and up-down position setting for taller and shorter average guys.
Be sure this HUD is way way more easier to see with polarized sunglasses than my former X6M at least you get to see it in bright sunny days, and if you move your head just a little right or left it displays perfectly
It doesn't auto dim, but it does change from white to orange if your lights are off/on. So, in a way it does adjust based on outside light (assuming you have your lights set to 'auto') but it's not dim, it's just color, as orange is easier on the eyes at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #58
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
With polarized glasses, there is a complete washout. It is very difficult to see, so bad in fact, I am planning on buying a new pair of non-polarized sunglases solely for driving duties. To answer your question about dimming it, yes, there is a setting to turn down the brightness. I dont remember if there is an auto dimming feature. I only had my vehicle for a few days during ed.
I bought a new pair of non polarized sunglasses within a week of getting my M5. The old pair I wear when hiking or traveling.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #59
huatian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SS M4

I have the technology package on my X3 which comes with the HUD stuff. doesn't auto dim but at night it turns orange color. M3/M4 is the same
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #60
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So last week I did the "Ultimate Driving Experience" here in Houston. It was a fabulous event, writeup in this thread: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1054898

I got to drive an M6 droptop after dark. It had the HUD, which I adjusted a bit for my tastes....but I still found it pretty bright. Does the HUD dim automatically when you turn the headlights on (or they go on by themselves)? I used the HUD in M mode most of the time, but found that it was kind of difficult to see the rev counter unless I was approaching redline. So I didn't see it as a true "rev counter" rather that more of a shift light type setup.

How do you find the radio and nav info displays? Too much info? Not enough?

I'm not so sold on this option having driven it again, especially as I wear polarized glasses and that washes it out.

Thanks.
HUD is a must for me now. Had it first in the E60 M5, and now in the F80. I use it so compulsively, that I find myself looking for it when I'm driving the S4 (where it was never available). The new one is FAR better, especially with regards to the polarized glasses bit.

In my E60, the HUD is invisible with Revo, RayBan and Maui Jim polarized lenses (these are the only ones I have to test with). The F80 (and the F10 system upon which it is based) has been reworked and the display is brighter and more colorful, and the display is far less affected by viewing through polarized lenses. Plus, the rotation setting is designed to help combat the little effect you do get when viewing at the normal angle.
      02-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #61
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
HUD is a must for me now. Had it first in the E60 M5, and now in the F80. I use it so compulsively, that I find myself looking for it when I'm driving the S4 (where it was never available). The new one is FAR better, especially with regards to the polarized glasses bit..
Agree completely - HUD is possibly the best 'techie' feature on the F80, maybe above adjustable suspension.

I've virtually stopped looking at the instrument cluster while driving: ///M mode projects tach and speedo info onto the windshield, and I can just focus on the road.
Fantastic.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #62
IRNM4N
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Doing the same. Walked into a sunglass hut and asked for non-polorized and they asked why and then I realized how first world a problem this is lol...

Quote:
With polarized glasses, there is a complete washout. It is very difficult to see, so bad in fact, I am planning on buying a new pair of non-polarized sunglases solely for driving duties. To answer your question about dimming it, yes, there is a setting to turn down the brightness. I dont remember if there is an auto dimming feature. I only had my vehicle for a few days during ed.
      02-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #63
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

I've only seen a way you could adjust it's brightness but don't think it auto dims based on changing light but I guess it would make sense that it dims when headlights come on.

Its an awesome feature to have for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
That must be dependent on the type of glasses you have. That's weird, I could not see anything.
Must be. I use Oakleys and Gatorz and the Hud becomes almost invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Did anyone get a different result when they angled the HUD while wearing their sunglasses?

Reference comment #20
I see a setting for bright/dim, up/down and left/right, nothing for angling or tilting.
With the polarised glasses I use the Hud is almost invisible to me. Might be the quality or polarising filter they use on certain lenses.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #64
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:

That funny you mention the polarized glasses. When I picked up my X3 about 3 years ago I had the HUD. I thought there was a problem with the HUD. Was so convinced that I had my CA look at it. He didn't see the problem. So I just thought it was me. After about a month, I happen to put on some other glasses and noticed a major difference. Ever since then, non-polarized glasses for me.
      02-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #65
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

When I listen to Satelite radio I have never seen the station or song on the HUD. Do you have to program it to show the song or station?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #66
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymiller73 View Post
That funny you mention the polarized glasses. When I picked up my X3 about 3 years ago I had the HUD. I thought there was a problem with the HUD. Was so convinced that I had my CA look at it. He didn't see the problem. So I just thought it was me. After about a month, I happen to put on some other glasses and noticed a major difference. Ever since then, non-polarized glasses for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
I've only seen a way you could adjust it's brightness but don't think it auto dims based on changing light but I guess it would make sense that it dims when headlights come on.

I see a setting for bright/dim, up/down and left/right, nothing for angling or tilting.
With the polarised glasses I use the Hud is almost invisible to me. Might be the quality or polarising filter they use on certain lenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRNM4N View Post
Doing the same. Walked into a sunglass hut and asked for non-polorized and they asked why and then I realized how first world a problem this is lol...
There is a way to alter the tilt and angle and it makes all the difference in the world for polarized sunglasses.

I first got into the car and, like you, could see nothing. My SA actually knew how to play with it and adjusted it at pickup. Zero problems ever since seeing the HUD with polarized glasses on.