Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #23
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Nice writeup! Did you have to do any modifications (dremeling or drilling holes that wasn't there before) in order to do the install or was literally everything plug and play into existing holes/mounts, etc..?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #24
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Nope. The brackets have holes predrilled and nuts supplied that go right into holes that already exist on the car. You can drill some holes and/or dremel down some metal to better fit the power line to the battery, but I didn't really see a need for it, and did it just fine without doing so.

Almost completely plug and play, you just need to tap into an accessory line for the turn on/off signal, which as I mentioned, was the USB power port in the trunk

Last edited by Mandi90TT; 12-30-2015 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Just noticed there was some all caps yelling that I didn't intend.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #25
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Great to see you got everything figured out and installed. Regarding the Jehnerts, I've had them in an E90, and while they're probably the best option out there for the underseat, all things considered, the F8X/3X HK underseat is pretty good for the way you have your system configured, IMO. I'd probably say the weakest link at this point is the lack of a DSP. But to maximize the DSP would require a bit of extra work (running a new set of wires into the door to run everything active), and may not be worth it. Pretty darn nice system overall, if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #26
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, not going to go all out on this, like I did with my G35. the Bavsound speakers are pretty good and the HK Logic7 amp, with the Bavsound speakers is not bad.

I'll give it a couple of months before deciding whether I need to replace the underseat subs or not.
      02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #27
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Dave do you wanna do mine? If not what's a normal charge for the amount of labor you put it n this?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I installed jehnert and the oem logic 7 mid sounds like mud in comparison. I'd say it's a huge downfall in systems. The rest of speakers work great and see no point changing
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #29
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Dave do you wanna do mine? If not what's a normal charge for the amount of labor you put it n this?
Wish I had the time, but with a 4 tr old and a 2.5 yr oldf at home, I am lucky the wife allows me time to work on my own car.

Should take a shop 2 to 3 hours to do, and rates range from $50-$150/hr. Shouldn't be any extra shop supplies needed; musicarnw provides just about everything
      02-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #30
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
I installed jehnert and the oem logic 7 mid sounds like mud in comparison. I'd say it's a huge downfall in systems. The rest of speakers work great and see no point changing
Yeah, but with the JL Audio amp, the stock mid bass under seats sound pretty good, as long as they are not also trying to do low end bass frequencies
      02-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #31
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's my ooint, they are so shallow they provide mudbass
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #32
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not sure what exactly you mean, then, but whatever. They sound good to me when properly bandpass filtered and provided a good signal from an amp.
      02-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #33
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well drop in jehnerts or another woofer and you will see what I mean
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #34
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Greetings from the 1 Series boards. I'm looking at a similar setup for my 135i. I'd like to ask a question and get your opinion as well:

* I notice the AudioControl LC2i, I'm wondering how you fed a full range signal to the amp with that (maybe you didn't)? For our cars the front doors only see signals above approx 200Hz and the underseat mids everything below. For a 5 channel amp we'd need two of those units to be able to power the doors, underseats, and new sub. I may be missing something or your cars are just different that way.

* You mentioned the Bavsound speakers in the doors, even with the HK system did you feel they were a worthwhile upgrade? I know our speakers may be different but then again, maybe not. Wondered how you felt about them and how they changed the sound for you.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #35
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The LC2i takes a signal from the stock subwoofer line, and puts some (midbass) into the amp for the underseat woofers, and puts the low bass into the amp channel for the trunk sub.

It leaves the stock wiring and signal alone, for the doors, rear panels, and center channel. The 5 channel amp, one channel is used for the trunk sub, and 2 channels (4 channels bridged) for the underseat woofers

Even with the HK system, the Bavsound was a worthwhile upgrade. In fact, I would argue that the Bavsound is a multiplier; that is, it increases the 'sound quality' byt 1.5x So, on the non HK system, the sound is x, and now with the Bavsound it is 1.5 X, and on the HK system, the sound is (X + 5) and with the Bavsound upgrade, it is now 1.5(X+5).

The Bavsound upgrade didn't really increase the bass, but the overall sound quality is much better. And with the trunk sub, I think the sound quality and bass is just about perfect. Yeah, it's not a $10k sound system, but it is damn good, and I have had many good sound systems in my previous vehicles to compare it to.

Hope that makes sense.
      05-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #36
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Makes total sense, thank you.

I see how you used the amp now, I was planning to use mine 1&2 ch to the fronts, 3&4 to the underseats, and 5 to the sub of course. It didn't cross my mind that you might have bridged 1&2 and 3&4 to the underseats.

That would explain the LC2i being sufficient. I was looking at the LCQ-1 (basically a 6 channel version that added a little bit of EQ'ing), It'll be the same cost as a pair of LC2i's and while I don't need the EQ for the first pairs, having it for the sub might be nice. Also it's a bit smaller than some of their other offerings and will fit about perfectly in the spot that the Serius tuner normally goes (the 1-Series trunk configuration is a little different of course). I'm planning to break out the front door speakers too so I'll need 4 channels at a minimum.

Thanks too for the Bavsound feedback. Currently I'm headed down the path of the MusicarNW sub enclosure w/ a mid range JL sub for the trunk, the 5 channel amp, and the LCQ-1 feeding it. With the Technics harness to break it out from the stock HK amp (which I'll have to modify to get 2 more channels out of it but I can handle that). I was leaving the underseat and door speakers for a future upgrade but may look into the door speakers sooner than expected. I guess that's how it goes.

Great setup and car! Thank you again for your feedback. I too come from a history of complete swap-outs and upgrades, and while I still find it fun, I'm finding it less... I guess return on investment comes to mind. Good to hear it can sound great at a fraction of what I used to spend.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #37
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

FYI: the LC2i is for M3 EPS and F3x/8x HK systems with 30V+ woofer outputs. Your E82 HK system (16V+ peaks) does not need an LC2i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Makes total sense, thank you.

I see how you used the amp now, I was planning to use mine 1&2 ch to the fronts, 3&4 to the underseats, and 5 to the sub of course. It didn't cross my mind that you might have bridged 1&2 and 3&4 to the underseats.

That would explain the LC2i being sufficient. I was looking at the LCQ-1 (basically a 6 channel version that added a little bit of EQ'ing), It'll be the same cost as a pair of LC2i's and while I don't need the EQ for the first pairs, having it for the sub might be nice. Also it's a bit smaller than some of their other offerings and will fit about perfectly in the spot that the Serius tuner normally goes (the 1-Series trunk configuration is a little different of course). I'm planning to break out the front door speakers too so I'll need 4 channels at a minimum.

Thanks too for the Bavsound feedback. Currently I'm headed down the path of the MusicarNW sub enclosure w/ a mid range JL sub for the trunk, the 5 channel amp, and the LCQ-1 feeding it. With the Technics harness to break it out from the stock HK amp (which I'll have to modify to get 2 more channels out of it but I can handle that). I was leaving the underseat and door speakers for a future upgrade but may look into the door speakers sooner than expected. I guess that's how it goes.

Great setup and car! Thank you again for your feedback. I too come from a history of complete swap-outs and upgrades, and while I still find it fun, I'm finding it less... I guess return on investment comes to mind. Good to hear it can sound great at a fraction of what I used to spend.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #38
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
FYI: the LC2i is for M3 EPS and F3x/8x HK systems with 30V+ woofer outputs. Your E82 HK system (16V+ peaks) does not need an LC2i.
Funny, just when I had it all figured out I realized I'm not 100% there. I thought I'd seen them used on E82's but perhaps unnecessarily.

I don't want to hijack this thread, if you have a minute I'd love to have you check out my original one here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121294 .

I'll thank Dave 90TT again and bow out of this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #39
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No worries, glad I could help. I will take a look at your other thread when I get a moment and see what advice, if any, I can give you
      06-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #40
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
The system is a JL xd1000/5 amp, 600 watts going to the JL Audio 10w6v3 sub in a custom enclosure for the trunk and 300 watts going to the underseat woofers (150x2).
Why drive the stock subs with the JLxd amp? Is it because the stock amp is that completely inadequate and wimpy? Great setup, I will be doing exact on my M4 once it's here!

Can you describe the JL sub performance, what audio material used? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #41
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Two reasons for the JL to drive the stock underseat woofers (I hesitate to call them subwoofers, as they really are not very low) First, as you guessed, the stock amp is not all that great. Second, I have plans to eventually replace those underseat woofers with some Jehnerts. Still haven't done it, low on the priority list right now.

The JL performance with the 10w6v3 is as bassy/boomy as I want, since I have the remote knob installed up front. I can make it far too boomy for anyones taste, or completely quiet; I usually have it just short of middle, as too much bass overpowers the rest of the music.

If by audio material, you mean the sound dampening Super Dynamat, then yes, that's what I used. I also laid down a good bit of Super Dynamat in the doors when I did the Bavsound upgrade. At some point, I am going to take the seats out, and lay some more Super Dynamat on the floor panels/floor tub to cut out some of the road noise. Yes, I am adding weight and I am well aware how that affects performance. The M4 is still a super fast car, even if I add 200 lbs of Super Dynamat. Not sure what you meant if you were not talking about the sound dampening material

Either way, I am quite pleased with the sound system now. Doesn't mean there is still not room for improvement, but it's far, far better than the original.
      06-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #42
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thanks! And by audio material, I meant music to test the system... But I agree w dynamating the vehicle lol

Does the remote knob to control the sub loudness come standard w the kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #43
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Two reasons for the JL to drive the stock underseat woofers (I hesitate to call them subwoofers, as they really are not very low) First, as you guessed, the stock amp is not all that great. Second, I have plans to eventually replace those underseat woofers with some Jehnerts. Still haven't done it, low on the priority list right now.

The JL performance with the 10w6v3 is as bassy/boomy as I want, since I have the remote knob installed up front. I can make it far too boomy for anyones taste, or completely quiet; I usually have it just short of middle, as too much bass overpowers the rest of the music.

If by audio material, you mean the sound dampening Super Dynamat, then yes, that's what I used. I also laid down a good bit of Super Dynamat in the doors when I did the Bavsound upgrade. At some point, I am going to take the seats out, and lay some more Super Dynamat on the floor panels/floor tub to cut out some of the road noise. Yes, I am adding weight and I am well aware how that affects performance. The M4 is still a super fast car, even if I add 200 lbs of Super Dynamat. Not sure what you meant if you were not talking about the sound dampening material

Either way, I am quite pleased with the sound system now. Doesn't mean there is still not room for improvement, but it's far, far better than the original.
Thanks for the pics/writeup. I’ll also probably be doing this soon. I’ll probably do the Full Bass Stage II. I like balanced sound but I also really like to feel the bass when I’m in a hip-hop kinda mood.

Where did you install your remote volume nob? Pics would be great. Not sure that I’d bother to run mine or not but I’m still curious.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #44
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Thanks! And by audio material, I meant music to test the system... But I agree w dynamating the vehicle lol

Does the remote knob to control the sub loudness come standard w the kit?
Nope. Have to pay for it, or purchase it elsewhere. If you purchase it elsewhere, make sure you get the right one for your amp; there are two versions.