VIBE Motorsports
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #45
Funf6cyl
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 6 cyl
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Synchronized

iTrader: (0)

Definitely go with the 981. Has balance no M car could muster and beyond being a car that you’ll be far more competitive (more so if you go with R compounds) in you’ll also have more fun.
The CS is nice but it’s not in Porsche’s league if you compare it even to a 718 GTS (which on cups would be faster than an M4 GTS) or a 911S (which is a good bit faster even on an inferior summer tire compound).
If you do plan to track a lot and really make something of it, a cup car will set lap times that will blow your mind. I have a friend who has one and my god is it the most impressive thing I’ve ever seen. There’s a reason the 911 is the most winning platform in history and the cup car and it’s dominance have been the key factor to Porsches dominance in street cars.

Last edited by Funf6cyl; Yesterday at 10:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #46
Andrae26
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
240
Posts

Drives: Sakhir M4
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
$70k for a cup car is definitely out of the question right now. .
Please don't buy a Cup car. Even pros can't keep them out of the wall for long with their suicidal driving characteristics

I'd take a M3 CS over a 981 any day. Over a GT4 as well. It's nice to drive in a comfortable car and still go to the track and actually be fast.

If you really want the 'pure sports car' experience then a Cayman may be the way to go. I prefer to go to the track and be competitive.
Took out the M3 CS on a canyon run today for the first time since almost totaling my M3. It was a blast! Leaning towards an MPE if I can't find the perfect 981.
I will be installing MPE on mines soon. I just hit 100 miles though so I can't even punch it 😭
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #47
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
9,327
Posts

Drives: F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Please don't buy a Cup car. Even pros can't keep them out of the wall for long with their suicidal driving characteristics

I'd take a M3 CS over a 981 any day. Over a GT4 as well. It's nice to drive in a comfortable car and still go to the track and actually be fast.

If you really want the 'pure sports car' experience then a Cayman may be the way to go. I prefer to go to the track and be competitive.
Looking at lap times on different forums, seems like an m4zcp with nt01 tires is about the same (1:52) as a stock gt4 on stock cup2 tires

I just got back from Sonoma this weekend and saw 6 cars get wrecked on Saturday alone.

Props to the people dicing it up W2W in $$$ to fix p cars.

The street cars winning the hpde were the Z06 vettes
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:06 AM   #48
fanatic1
Private
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Carlsbad/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Looking at lap times on different forums, seems like an m4zcp with nt01 tires is about the same (1:52) as a stock gt4 on stock cup2 tires

I just got back from Sonoma this weekend and saw 6 cars get wrecked on Saturday alone.

Props to the people dicing it up W2W in $$$ to fix p cars.

The street cars winning the hpde were the Z06 vettes
Holy crap, SIX? Let me guess, t10?
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
16 M4 AW DCT - gone
E92: 13 335is AW - gone/10 335 CP - gone
E30: 90 M3 - gone
74 2002tii - gone
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:08 AM   #49
fanatic1
Private
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Carlsbad/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Took out the M3 CS on a canyon run today for the first time since almost totaling my M3. It was a blast! Leaning towards an MPE if I can't find the perfect 981.
Not a big fan of the turbo S55 exhaust note, but have to admit, MPE on M4 CS sounds pretty damn good.
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
16 M4 AW DCT - gone
E92: 13 335is AW - gone/10 335 CP - gone
E30: 90 M3 - gone
74 2002tii - gone
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:33 AM   #50
sharkbite
Private
sharkbite's Avatar
36
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Last time I drove the GT4 on track 3rd gear failed within 20 minutes. It was entertaining to drive but I would not straight swap it with any of my M3s. Besides, that car launched years ago and I'm anxiously waiting to find a fast one. Any day now...

Cars driven in HDPEs are covered by manufacturer insurance. This is the norm and not some kind of favor Porsche is doing. I guess I don't drink the cool aid but I find it insulting that a GTx car fails so quickly. I put 180k miles double track an E46 back in the day and the oem clutch was fine and dandy.

Who's GT4 did you drive and what track ? most of the CT and East Coast GT4 owners post up on RL if they had a 3rd gear failure.

I haven't heard of one in your area yet . Not saying it didn't happen but its mostly a very rare occurrence and one happening with a guest driver would be somewhat news.

You must be an exceptional driver to not find the GT4 fast at the track.
__________________
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4- GT Silver-LWB's-Soul Performance LT headers-Cup2's

2015 M4-Austin Yellow-Executive Pckg -MDCT
2003 Audi RS6-daily beast
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:46 AM   #51
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2798
Rep
4,615
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
Who's GT4 did you drive and what track ? most of the CT and East Coast GT4 owners post up on RL if they had a 3rd gear failure.

I haven't heard of one in your area yet . Not saying it didn't happen but its mostly a very rare occurrence and one happening with a guest driver would be somewhat news.

You must be an exceptional driver to not find the GT4 fast at the track.
Most of the interesting stuff is not on forums. Same as people running strokers, they are out there but not necessarily posting it up.
Lots of liability possibilities for everyone involved. The easiest way to deal with these things is privately and not involve anyone. You just take the GT4 to Porsche and say your 3rd gear doesn't work and you don't understand why.

One guy here had major issues getting the brand to cover a blown engine at a HPDE because he had videos all over the place. You can be sure that I won't face the same situation.

If you do lots of PCA track days in the Northeast I'm sure we'll cross paths, you can judge for yourself

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; Today at 08:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:27 PM   #52
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
9,327
Posts

Drives: F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Holy crap, SIX? Let me guess, t10?
All over the place.

The 2 I personally saw were an ND street car miata into wall on t11 exit and a sportsman/stock car/nascar thing into the driver side wall exiting T6

I got my first intro to bump drafting from a friend and for a split sec I thought I was going to add to the count

Another option for OP (spec 996)

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/4248

Throw the cat back on and should be able get it plated
Appreciate 1
jmg5490.00

      Today, 02:33 PM   #53
Funf6cyl
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 6 cyl
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Synchronized

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
Who's GT4 did you drive and what track ? most of the CT and East Coast GT4 owners post up on RL if they had a 3rd gear failure.

I haven't heard of one in your area yet . Not saying it didn't happen but its mostly a very rare occurrence and one happening with a guest driver would be somewhat news.

You must be an exceptional driver to not find the GT4 fast at the track.
There’s a big difference between people who really compete and just doing track days/driving events where there is no official times, etc. The dichotomy of the mentality and effort is not even close to being the same. Don’t conflate the two as they couldn’t be further apart. When it comes to truly competing, Porsche has few peers if any.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:51 PM   #54
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
2798
Rep
4,615
Posts

Drives: E90M, E92M, X5, Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Yes. Some of us also compete in events like AER, where a Cayman S is a class 3 car and even E36s that are US-spec run in class 4. Good thing the US-spec M3 was completely neutered, otherwise the Cayman S would be a class 2 car.

I get to see the peerless Porsche engineering quite often, it is entertaining

It is too bad some Porsche trolls on this forum are unable to show up to a track event and put all that superior engineering into practice.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; Today at 03:33 PM.
Appreciate 1
Stage IV2235.00

      Today, 04:16 PM   #55
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
9,327
Posts

Drives: F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
There’s a big difference between people who really compete and just doing track days/driving events where there is no official times, etc. The dichotomy of the mentality and effort is not even close to being the same. Don’t conflate the two as they couldn’t be further apart. When it comes to truly competing, Porsche has few peers if any.
My peers and I enjoy the having “pick and pull” as a viable parts source

None of us get paid to drive so repair and maintenance matter a lot.

German cars get a failing grade on that dimension relative to JP and US cars.

As an aside, the nasa NorCal “what not to do” example is buy a new cup car and stuff it I the first corner, on the first lap, of the first session (which happened a few years ago)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST