R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #89
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe black View Post
This morning I had the pleasure of replacing my front reflectors with color matched replacements from IND. I tried the previously posted method but it did not work for me. So I took off the front wheel and took off the interior lining. The lining covers just the front half of the wheel well. It has nine screws. It comes right out with no problem whatsoever. Then you have full access to the back of the reflector. You also see in these attached pics, the front camera and other wires and such you have to not wreck while you are doing this. The reflector is actually under part of that camera by about a ½ inch. So once you pry the old reflector out, you take out the old adhesive. I just rolled it up – it is like sticky putty. Then you put new painted blank in, put the liner back in (which could not be easier), put the wheel back on and you are done.

I would not do this job any other way even if I did not have cameras. You also get to see some interesting parts of your car you would not see otherwise.
Just installed my IND reflectors (perfect match, thanks!) using this method. I couldn't recommend it more highly. Removing the liner allows you great access to the rear of the reflector, which is especially helpful if you have side view cams. Took me MAYBE 20 minutes total, and that was taking my time, though I did use a heat gun to warm up the adhesive.
      03-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #90
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Just installed my IND reflectors (perfect match, thanks!) using this method. I couldn't recommend it more highly. Removing the liner allows you great access to the rear of the reflector, which is especially helpful if you have side view cams. Took me MAYBE 20 minutes total, and that was taking my time, though I did use a heat gun to warm up the adhesive.
Glad that the installation guide was helpful! Thanks for the kind words
      03-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #91
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

IND's color match is always top notch. When my E60 M5's front reflectors were done by three different bodyshops in LA and they STILL couldn't match it and worse, it was yellow, IND came through and got it perfect.

Fast forward to years and years later, IND made me some color matched front reflectors for my Macao Blue paint.

Thanks for this write-up, but I tried it and gave up. The stock reflectors were on tight and I couldn't maneuver my big hands well enough to get any grip. In fact the tips of my index and middle finger are still numb almost a week later.

The good thing is, the place that did my clear bra was able to get them in for me. They did it in about 30 minutes, they had to jack the car up and use a heat gun, lol. But hey, it looks good now...

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #92
banff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pro tip: Use a steamer to heat it up!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #93
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
IND's color match is always top notch. When my E60 M5's front reflectors were done by three different bodyshops in LA and they STILL couldn't match it and worse, it was yellow, IND came through and got it perfect.

Fast forward to years and years later, IND made me some color matched front reflectors for my Macao Blue paint.

Thanks for this write-up, but I tried it and gave up. The stock reflectors were on tight and I couldn't maneuver my big hands well enough to get any grip. In fact the tips of my index and middle finger are still numb almost a week later.

The good thing is, the place that did my clear bra was able to get them in for me. They did it in about 30 minutes, they had to jack the car up and use a heat gun, lol. But hey, it looks good now...
Thanks for the kind words! Glad that you were satisfied with the Macao Blue reflectors
      05-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #94
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

What would be best to use to reapply the stock reflectors? Thinking ahead to my lease end and would want to take them off before that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #95
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
What would be best to use to reapply the stock reflectors? Thinking ahead to my lease end and would want to take them off before that.
Upon return of your lease, your local BMW dealer shouldn't mind that there are painted reflectors on the vehicle. This being said, there is no good way to re-apply the stock reflector housings as the double sided adhesive is destroyed during the removal process.
      06-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #96
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND
Quote:
Upon return of your lease, your local BMW dealer shouldn't mind that there are painted reflectors on the vehicle. This being said, there is no good way to re-apply the stock reflector housings as the double sided adhesive is destroyed during the removal process.
Thanks. I assume, then, there is no good way to transfer the IND painted reflectors from my current car to the next vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #97
scoobystas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Champagne Quartz

IND I'm just thinking ahead as I don't have the car yet, but will you guys be able to match the champagne quartz color? Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #98
Crackerpup
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Most auto parts stores will carry 3M double sided tape and you can cut to fit around the reflectors and/or to reuse painted reflectors. Just be sure to clean surface well with adhesive remover first, and rub dry with a clean cloth.

I just installed this in alpine white on my car. 15 min for first side, 10 for second. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #99
IND-Distribution
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobystas View Post
IND I'm just thinking ahead as I don't have the car yet, but will you guys be able to match the champagne quartz color? Thanks!

Yes, we have done that color a couple of times.

Also great choice, its stunning.
      07-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #100
stawets
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

hey ind I need a pair of mw reflectors ,do you have those?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #101
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
Thanks for this post - just replaced them on my f30, took less than 10 minutes!

2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #102
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Just did mine via inner fender removal, holy christ was it a pita Mine is a early build 2015, prod date is July 2014. Those were on like cement. The first one separated reflector from backing plate, then it was easy....the other I just pryed and pushed on it at the same time and it blew right out. So I think these will sell with the car

BSM...match is pretty much perfect

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #103
billafin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SS/SO

Just did mine. 01/15 build car so the original markers were really on there good. They would not budge until I used the hair dryer technique and they came off easily with a firm push starting from the bottom. The car also has parking assist and the cameras, so there was not much space to reach in behind the fender liner.
I heated around the edge of markers with a hair dryer for about 1 min, just blowing it about 1cm away from the paint all over the marker. Pushing from the bottom up it came off pretty easily, and for the most part the adhesive all came off with the orange marker too. After it was all off, i wiped the inside with alcohol to clean it. (wasn't really dirty anyways). I took the 3 screws off the fender liner and stuck one hand in to guide the new IND marker in, pressed it firm, and buttoned up the fender. Total time was less than 15 mins to complete both sides. I cannot stress enough: USE THE HAIR DRYER OR HEAT GUN, it's virtually impossible to push or tug the originals off without loosening up the adhesive.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2017, 03:58 AM   #104
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billafin View Post
Just did mine. 01/15 build car so the original markers were really on there good. They would not budge until I used the hair dryer technique and they came off easily with a firm push starting from the bottom. The car also has parking assist and the cameras, so there was not much space to reach in behind the fender liner.
I heated around the edge of markers with a hair dryer for about 1 min, just blowing it about 1cm away from the paint all over the marker. Pushing from the bottom up it came off pretty easily, and for the most part the adhesive all came off with the orange marker too. After it was all off, i wiped the inside with alcohol to clean it. (wasn't really dirty anyways). I took the 3 screws off the fender liner and stuck one hand in to guide the new IND marker in, pressed it firm, and buttoned up the fender. Total time was less than 15 mins to complete both sides. I cannot stress enough: USE THE HAIR DRYER OR HEAT GUN, it's virtually impossible to push or tug the originals off without loosening up the adhesive.
I didn't use the hair dryer
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #105
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I didn't use the hair dryer
heat gun/hair dryer is key. Even after using a heat gun my fingers still hurt
      08-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #106
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Man I wish I would have read this thread prior to starting. I wrestled for a solid 20 minutes with that stupid nylon pry tool. Eventually I said screw it and hit it with a hair dryer for 3 min and it came out no prob just using my hands.

Either way, they look great and fit awesome. Just don't blow money on that tool.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #107
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Wow! Installed

Ok, I tackled my car today for the Ind-distribution painted reflectors.

First, I can't thank y'all enough for the excellent posts. This thread saved me a lot of pain.

Second, the Indy reflectors are beautifully painted! Super high quality and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Third, wow, this was not fun at all. Be prepared to sacrifice your hands and you will have several blisters when you are finished.

It took me about two hours to do the job but I was taking my time and not in a rush at all. The actual lens removal time with hair dryer running: about 5 mins a side. Key points:

1. Hair dryer is A MUST HAVE!!!!!
2. No need to remove your wheel
3. Goo gone helps to remove the old sticky tape residue
4. Latex gloves help saving the hands while removing stock reflector

My car was manufactured in May of 2017 and it is October. I removed 4 screws holding the wheel liner in place. The fourth screw above the tire is good to remove as it allows you to have more room to work on lens removal.

It is key to start with the lower part of the lens first. This is because that is the only area you can get the blow dryer head on the lens sticky tape with the cameras in the fender in the way of your work. Use goo gone to remove remaining sticky tape that is stuck to the bumper.

I hope that I don't have to do this again for awhile!
Attached Images

10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #108
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

I spent the morning after bringing the car home, installing the painted reflectors and all the exterior black trim pieces I had purchased from IND over a month before delivery. I used a heat gun and installed the reflectors exactly as detailed in this video; didn't have to remove wheels or liner. Took less than 20 minutes in all. The black side grills were also just as easy as in IND's video but the OEM front grill removal is somewhat hilariously over-simplified in the IND video (no offense Ryan). Those took over an hour and I heavily relied on another YT video.

All in all, I am sold on IND's products and support. SSM can't be easy to match but they've dialed it in very well.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #109
Gtalancon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Azurite M4 ZCP

Any tips on how to apply when your bumper has a clear bra on? Or is it not possible?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #110
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtalancon View Post
Any tips on how to apply when your bumper has a clear bra on? Or is it not possible?
You'll have to carefully/neatly cut the clear bra around the perimeter of each reflector. Then follow the standard directions and remove them from the bumper. Get the painted reflectors covered later or leave them as-is. They'll visually stick out either way to a close observer, but far less than the orange ones do.
Appreciate 0