R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

02-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
MarcWinNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 Conv Comp, '01M Rdster

Garage List
I just picked up a RKP rear carbon fiber spoiler (take off) for my M4 convertible. I am about to go have it installed but want to remove all of the 3M tape that was on there. What is the best recommended approach to get this off and have it ready for new tape to be applied for an install. I was thinking either scrape it off, heat gun and ultimately some goo gone to get the remaining tape residue off.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Moony
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F32 435i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Heat gun is going to be your best weapon. If it was on a solid surface I'd recommend the 3M Adhesive wheel but since its a spoiler the heatgun will do the trick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Foomanchu
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 2016 BMW M4

When I cleaned up my spoiler before install (bought second hand) I found that out of heat, goo-gone and anything else, the best thing that worked was letting the tape bind to itself. Seems if I started it with a finger and then rolled it firmly back onto itself with my thumb back and forth, the glue on the tape really didn't want to let go of more tape once it caught. The more I rolled up the easier it was to keep it together and control it--kind like snow when you build a snowman. This tape was on the spoiler, not on the car but it shouldn't matter either way. Def was not a fast process, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
In short, all options suck and the tape is a monster. Did it twice over the past week due to my incompetence on the first install. I used goo gone and wd-40. Ultimately I braced the spoiler against some cardboard, used the adhesive wheel, and went very very slow. It went great from there. What I learned, if you really hate someone, ask them to clean the tape off of something without the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
xfactor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M4 6MT ZCP (AY)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
In short, all options suck and the tape is a monster. Did it twice over the past week due to my incompetence on the first install. I used goo gone and wd-40. Ultimately I braced the spoiler against some cardboard, used the adhesive wheel, and went very very slow. It went great from there. What I learned, if you really hate someone, ask them to clean the tape off of something without the wheel.
hahaha, thx for the laugh.