EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 F82

Seat removal

If I just unbolt seats from 4 floor mounts and keep the wiring harness attached, will I trigger any errors or possibly deploy airbags? Trying to see if I can fit roll bar without removing the seats.

If not what would be the best method for completely removing the seats out of the car and put it back again like nothing happened. Will the car recognize seat wiring harness was unplugged?
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

better plug out the negative terminal on the battery if you're doing some airbag related job. i'd like to play it safe mate, lol.

Please be advise that after plugging out the battery, you need to reinitialize the power window(usually).

T
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88tuning.id View Post
better plug out the negative terminal on the battery if you're doing some airbag related job. i'd like to play it safe mate, lol.

Please be advise that after plugging out the battery, you need to reinitialize the power window(usually).

T
Also make sure you don't inadvertently close the trunk when the battery is disconnected. After installing the seats, it may ask you to recalibrate the seat position, for which you just need to move the seat to forward/back/up/down limits in turns.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Also use new TTY bolts
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

T
For sure. Although I just need the seats pushed forward few more inches beyond the farthest point they can go (to get the roll bar in easily), it is probably best to disconnect the battery and remove the seats for easy access to cabin. Good reminder on resetting windows. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Quote:

T
Also make sure you don't inadvertently close the trunk when the battery is disconnected. After installing the seats, it may ask you to recalibrate the seat position, for which you just need to move the seat to forward/back/up/down limits in turns.
That's for sure, I learned my lesson when I was installing my electronic steering wheel LOL. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Also use new TTY bolts
So even if I don't remove the seats frequently you think I should still use new bolts and torque them to manufacturer specs? I heard removing those bolts are also painful.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
em4ef82
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by em4ef82 View Post
If I just unbolt seats from 4 floor mounts and keep the wiring harness attached, will I trigger any errors or possibly deploy airbags? Trying to see if I can fit roll bar without removing the seats.

If not what would be the best method for completely removing the seats out of the car and put it back again like nothing happened. Will the car recognize seat wiring harness was unplugged?
Sounds like removing the seats and putting them back again is not really a big concern from airbag/seat belt malfunction codes as long as the battery is disconnected throughout the process. I was hesitant because I thought I saw a post in one of the other thread that if you remove your seats it will automatically throw errors that only dealer can erase it. Not too practical to go to dealer every time you take your seats in and out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like removing the seats and putting them back again is not really a big concern from airbag/seat belt malfunction codes as long as the battery is disconnected throughout the process. I was hesitant because I thought I saw a post in one of the other thread that if you remove your seats it will automatically throw errors that only dealer can erase it. Not too practical to go to dealer every time you take your seats in and out.
You can also diy in clearing out the errors if you have access to ISTA+ or tool32. as long as you have enet cable and internet connection, dont hesitate to contact me, i will help you out.

But yeah, better be safe than sorry, disconnect the battery would be the best bet of all

T