Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

OEM M Lip no lining up ???

Hey guys - I just had my OEM Lip install and its not lining up with the splitters ... everything else is perfect except this.

Any idea what might be the issue ??

See pics below:

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Yeah. Loosen the bottom bolts and get it snapped in properly before you cinch them down.

I had a similar issue when I did mine but wasn’t as bad as yours. Also assuming you trimmed the lower plastic pieces per the instructions?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

i just found out after market splitters wont line up .... bummer - i just bought these too lol ... thanks for your response
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySnobs View Post
i just found out after market splitters wont line up .... bummer - i just bought these too lol ... thanks for your response
I don’t see why not.
The lip mounts to the insert piece, which mounts to the bumper and splitters.
There should be a slight gap between the ends of the insert and the splitters that the lip clicks into place with.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Also the lip mounts without splitters and will follow the contour of your bumper. I’d recheck the install compared to the actual instructions and mounting hardware.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I don’t see why not.
There should be a slight gap between the ends of the insert and the splitters that the lip clicks into place with.

I'm being told the aftermarket splitters will not line up compared to the OEM ones which are apparently more aggressive.

My current splitters are only held on by the 3m tape - there is no bolt or screw for these
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

The oem splitters are the same. The lip has the instructions on how to mount with the splitter which I’m assuming you either don’t have or didn’t read.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The oem splitters are the same. The lip has the instructions on how to mount with the splitter which I’m assuming you either don’t have or didn’t read.
I was sent this link -

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1592862
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
I don’t see why not.
Quote:
I'm being told the aftermarket splitters will not line up compared to the OEM ones which are apparently more aggressive.

My current splitters are only held on by the 3m tape - there is no bolt or screw for these
Quote:
Quote:
Some aftermarket splitters are the same shape as the M-Perf OEM splitters. Others are molded from the shape of the bumper. They are different shapes. You can tell by just looking at it. The confusion is that when you order these aftermarket versions, some times you can't tell which you're gonna get. They both fit the bumper, but the M-Perf shape is more aggressive and protrude more to fit the lip.

This is fact.

The OP has the "other" version; the one that fits snug to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Some aftermarket splitters are the same shape as the M-Perf OEM splitters. Others are molded from the shape of the bumper. They are different shapes. You can tell by just looking at it. The confusion is that when you order these aftermarket versions, some times you can't tell which you're gonna get. They both fit the bumper, but the M-Perf shape is more aggressive and protrude more to fit the lip.

This is fact.

I was going off the premise that the oem lip does not need splitters to be used and therefore should mount fairly well to the contour of the oem bumper. If this is true, than the splitters that are snug against the oem bumper should also fit.

I have no prior experience with aftermarket splitters with the oem lip so I was just using a logical guess.

I guess my thinking was flawed.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #11
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was going off the premise that the oem lip does not need splitters to be used and therefore should mount fairly well to the contour of the oem bumper. If this is true, than the splitters that are snug against the oem bumper should also fit.

I have no prior experience with aftermarket splitters with the oem lip so I was just using a logical guess.

I thought so too - but even after a little more digging - you can see without the splitters - it will leave you with the same gap/issue - check this out ...

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1273925
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post

This is fact.

The OEM splitters are required, and the picture tells the story. They come out further to fill that gap, create a flat mounting surface on the bottom, and provide a more rigid surface for the lip to bolt to.

There are people who installed the lip without the OEM splitters, and results vary, but regardless that's a custom job.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
The OEM splitters are required, and the picture tells the story. They come out further to fill that gap, create a flat mounting surface on the bottom, and provide a more rigid surface for the lip to bolt to.

There are people who installed the lip without the OEM splitters, and results vary, but regardless that's a custom job.
Hey I’m just going off of this. Says NOT REQUIRED but I guess Brit doesn’t know much. I’m not too sure on your statement of a flat mounting surface or needing a rigid surface. That’s what the plastic insert is for and why you have to drill into the splitters.

Either way. Guess doesn’t work with aftermarket splitters. YMMV.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586356
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:

Hey I’m just going off of this. Says NOT REQUIRED but I guess Brit doesn’t know much. I’m not too sure on your statement of a flat mounting surface or needing a rigid surface. That’s what the plastic insert is for and why you have to drill into the splitters.

Either way. Guess doesn’t work with aftermarket splitters. YMMV.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586356
That is incorrect info. This is one thread amongst hundreds that explain the need for splitters. It's also why the RKP splitter exists - as a way to have the M Performance style lip without the splitters.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is incorrect info. This is one thread amongst hundreds that explain the need for splitters. It's also why the RKP splitter exists - as a way to have the M Performance style lip without the splitters.
Yeah I see what you mean. Sucks.
Appreciate 0