BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Looking for a shop to do charcoal delete

I know it's a relatively easy DIY job but I do not have the tools and the want to DIY. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

BTW I am new here. Look forward to being a part of the community.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
jhigg85
Private First Class
jhigg85's Avatar
77
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: Yas Marina Blue 15 M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Richmond,VA

iTrader: (0)

Welcome. I would hate to see you have to pay to get that done. I try and DIY as many things as possible cuz most places you get charged an M tax. Meaning they try and charge you more because of your F8x.
You only need 2-3 tools to get this job done. You have to take the carbon strut off in order to get to the airboxes. Many videos on YouTube also would recommend replacing air filters with either BMC or K&N drop ins. The latter being the cheaper option
Appreciate 1
Rokoz98.50

      03-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1317
Rep
1,349
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

I mean this respectfully, but if you can't handle a screwdriver and a socket, just leave the filters in there. Seriously, you won't notice the difference. I sure didn't.
Appreciate 1
Rokoz98.50

      03-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I mean this respectfully, but if you can't handle a screwdriver and a socket, just leave the filters in there. Seriously, you won't notice the difference. I sure didn't.
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you read my post, I did not say anything about being unable to use a screw driver. I clearly said I do not have the WANT to DIY.

Make sure you read the question before offering your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1317
Rep
1,349
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlex389 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you read my post, I did not say anything about being unable to use a screw driver. I clearly said I do not have the WANT to DIY.

Make sure you read the question before offering your opinion.
I did read it, and as someone who has done it (it's a 10 minute job), I'm saying that you won't even be able to notice after they're taken off, so it isn't worth the effort to find a shop to do it. It's more effort for you to find a shop, drive there and back, and pay for the labor than it is to pick up a screwdriver and socket from the hardware store or Amazon, so I was honestly just trying to spare you the effort for a meaningless modification.

I was never insulting your physical ability. But desire or lack thereof also goes into being able to handle a job, much like how I'd much rather not jack up the car to do an exhaust swap on my back with 2 ft of clearance. It's annoying, even though I'm sure most people are plenty capable.

Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Luc@Speed&Tech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Luc@Speed&Tech's Avatar
395
Rep
309
Posts


Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Tysons Corner, VA

iTrader: (1)

Pm'd
__________________
Speed & Tech Motoring
23585 Overland Drive STE-#178
Sterling, VA 20166
www.SpeedAndTech.com
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I did read it, and as someone who has done it (it's a 10 minute job), I'm saying that you won't even be able to notice after they're taken off, so it isn't worth the effort to find a shop to do it. It's more effort for you to find a shop, drive there and back, and pay for the labor than it is to pick up a screwdriver and socket from the hardware store or Amazon, so I was honestly just trying to spare you the effort for a meaningless modification.

I was never insulting your physical ability. But desire or lack thereof also goes into being able to handle a job, much like how I'd much rather not jack up the car to do an exhaust swap on my back with 2 ft of clearance. It's annoying, even though I'm sure most people are plenty capable.

Welcome.
Look. I am an accountant in the middle of busy season. As much as I would love to DIY for 10 minutes, I would rather spend that 10 minutes doing something else. It's my money. It's my car. It's my time. I want to get rid of the charcoal filter regardless of outcome. I don't really give a sh*t about what you do to your car so unless you know of a shop in the area that does this, stop wasting my time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

mods please lock. I will be going to Speed&Tech. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
icegrill
Lieutenant
icegrill's Avatar
300
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlex389 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I mean this respectfully, but if you can't handle a screwdriver and a socket, just leave the filters in there. Seriously, you won't notice the difference. I sure didn't.
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you read my post, I did not say anything about being unable to use a screw driver. I clearly said I do not have the WANT to DIY.

Make sure you read the question before offering your opinion.
Whoa we got a badass in here
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #10
Yessir
Lieutenant
243
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: california

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlex389 View Post
Look. I am an accountant in the middle of busy season. As much as I would love to DIY for 10 minutes, I would rather spend that 10 minutes doing something else. It's my money. It's my car. It's my time. I want to get rid of the charcoal filter regardless of outcome. I don't really give a sh*t about what you do to your car so unless you know of a shop in the area that does this, stop wasting my time.

Before getting so defensive, understand that this gentleman is really trying to offer his genuine input and offer you some sound advice. If you knew who this guy is and what he has offered to the community, which is game changing BTW, I don't think you would blow him off in manner you did. I'm sure if you thought your vehicle sounded like crap from the factory and were looking for an alternative, yes you really would give a crap what ntg44 did with his car
Appreciate 3
ntg441316.50
///Mani20.50

      03-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Before getting so defensive, understand that this gentleman is really trying to offer his genuine input and offer you some sound advice. If you knew who this guy is and what he has offered to the community, which is game changing BTW, I don't think you would blow him off in manner you did. I'm sure if you thought your vehicle sounded like crap from the factory and were looking for an alternative, yes you really would give a crap what ntg44 did with his car
I am new and do not know who this person is or what he's done to his car or what he's done to advance the state of S55 acoustics. All I know is that I asked for a shop recommendation. I did not ask for DIY advice because I've done the research and decided that I did not want to do it myself. That is it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
f80er
Lieutenant Colonel
f80er's Avatar
1089
Rep
1,608
Posts

Drives: An M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlex389 View Post
BTW I am new here. Look forward to being a part of the community.
Man you are going to fit in real well here.

Appreciate 2
      03-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
mdlex389
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Man you are going to fit in real well here.

LOL I look forward to it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST