proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
eurogeek
Rep
Drives: f87 M2, f80 M3,

F80 Newbie questions

My car arrived today, 2017 M3. I currently have a 2017 m2 as well. Was wondering should rev matching happen in sport plus (M2) mode? Or is it disabled standard that way and only in comfort and sport? Also is there any trick like in the m2 to increase burble? In comfort mode on the m2 if you disable dsc it opens the flaps for some serious crackle and pop ! I am trying gauge wether the PO has done some coding or not already.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurogeek View Post
My car arrived today, 2017 M3. I currently have a 2017 m2 as well. Was wondering should rev matching happen in sport plus (M2) mode? Or is it disabled standard that way and only in comfort and sport? Also is there any trick like in the m2 to increase burble? In comfort mode on the m2 if you disable dsc it opens the flaps for some serious crackle and pop ! I am trying gauge wether the PO has done some coding or not already.
Congrats! Sport Plus on the M3 does not have rev matching. Only Comfort and Sport. Careful, as you will put it in Sport Plus, forget about the rev matching and dump the clutch throwing everything forward. Burbling is best obtained via BM3 tune. Or, tune = burbling.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Late 2018 builds lost the ability to disable rev matching - even in sport plus. Unless your car has been updated to the latest software, it should be disabled in sport plus (like your M2) since it is a 2017.

I personally found the rev match to be less intrusive on my M3 than my 2017 M2 and I soooo much prefer the ride in the M3.

Alas, no cool burble technique available - truth be told, with how bad the S55 sounds compared to the N55, I'm not sure you would want it
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Congrats on the new ride. That's a bit of both worlds for you having a 2 and 3. All you need now is a 4 convertible! On the rev match question, sport + is not supposed to rev match but as others have pointed out sometime in 2018 cars came with rev match always on, but could be disabled by turning DSC fully off.

In my case (2016, built late 2015) it rev matches in all modes, likely due to a software update that was done by the prior owner. This is unfortunate as I prefer to match revs myself, but I have found a way around the problem. With engine off, I press the ignition button once, then press "sport +", then press the ignition button a second time to start the engine. Then rev match is off (in all modes including comfort) until I shut the car off. Occasionally it reverts to rev match on if I switch to sport or efficient too soon after starting but generally works well. It's definitely not the way it's supposed to work, but i actually prefer this since I'm not always looking to be in sport + mode yet I do like to self rev match.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
eurogeek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
Congrats on the new ride. That's a bit of both worlds for you having a 2 and 3. All you need now is a 4 convertible! On the rev match question, sport + is not supposed to rev match but as others have pointed out sometime in 2018 cars came with rev match always on, but could be disabled by turning DSC fully off.

In my case (2016, built late 2015) it rev matches in all modes, likely due to a software update that was done by the prior owner. This is unfortunate as I prefer to match revs myself, but I have found a way around the problem. With engine off, I press the ignition button once, then press "sport +", then press the ignition button a second time to start the engine. Then rev match is off (in all modes including comfort) until I shut the car off. Occasionally it reverts to rev match on if I switch to sport or efficient too soon after starting but generally works well. It's definitely not the way it's supposed to work, but i actually prefer this since I'm not always looking to be in sport + mode yet I do like to self rev match.
Excellent information everyone, I really appreciate it. And I understand I should post a picture...
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
kmouze194.00
lukej387.00
Suds1597.00
Prossx291.50
c12h231.00
icebiker504.00
doug_9992541.50
      03-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
kmouze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02' RSX TYPE-S | 18' M3 ZCP

Quote:
Excellent information everyone, I really appreciate it. And I understand I should post a picture...
your car is smex man
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

Nardo / Sakhir?
      03-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #8
eurogeek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
Nardo / Sakhir?
Grigio Medio / Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
AlejoEvo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

Beautiful car!!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:

Quote:

So glad you posted this...

My car 2016 F80 6MT rev matches in Sports+

I'd been seeing mixed information on the rev match

Op are you keeping both cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
eurogeek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
So glad you posted this...

My car 2016 F80 6MT rev matches in Sports+

I'd been seeing mixed information on the rev match

Op are you keeping both cars?
I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy the m3, so I was keeping them both until I was certain, which I am (m3 is amazing) and I don't have the room, so I am going to part with the mod deuce sometime in the near future. If you know of anyone in the market send them my way, only 19k miles on the M2, and warranty through 2023 or 75k miles.
Appreciate 0