EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Rewted's Avatar
Canada
201
Rep
825
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Understanding the M4 CS?

A lot of 2019 CS lease deals around $1099/month, but no options are ever listed. Here in Canada we have the Ultimate Package (every option available), does the CS have options or what is standard?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
ferrarifast
Commander
ferrarifast's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: 18' M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

By Far The Best Breakdown

I've scoured this entire forum looking for what exactly the differences are, and I think the post below sums its up perfectly. Big thanks to CanAutM3

Also here in the US the only options are exec package and carbon ceramic brakes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's funny how every thread on the the CS turns into how those who don't have one say it's not worth it and those that do say it is .

I'll try not to fall into that trap by simply saying that it depends what you are looking for. BMW are starting to offer more levels of flavour to each of the ///M line-ups with the different trim levels. According to BMW own press material:
  • Base=Daily use + Racetrack
  • Competition= Daily use + Racetrack with enhanced performance
  • CS= Racetrack optimized + daily use
  • CSL(GTS)= Born for the Racetrack but still street legal (to drive to and from the track)
I think this sums it up pretty well .

You don't get the Competition Package "standard" with the CS, because the CS is another package altogether. What you do get with the CS package on the M4:
  • Engine tune +28/+9hp vs Base/CP and +38lb-ft of torque
  • CFRP driveshaft (drivetrain rigidity/weight reduction)
  • CF front splitter (downforce)
  • CF Gurney flap (downforce)
  • CF hood (downforce, improved cooling, weight reduction)
  • 763M wheels 19" front 20" rear (weight reduction)
  • PSC2 tires 265/35R19 front 285/30R20 rear (improved grip, however PSS in the US )
  • Recalibrated ABS, DSC, EPS, EDC, DCT and e-diff, optimized for R-comp tires
  • Retuned suspension (CP springs and rear swaybar, base front swaybar -> reduced understeer)
  • Increased top speed limiter
  • Lightweight door cards with pull straps (weight reduction/reduced sound deadening)
  • Alcantara steering wheel (improved grip)
  • Seats with alcantara side bolsters (improved grip)
  • Single zone HVAC (weight reduction)
  • Center armrest deletion (improved elbow room/weight reduction)
  • Headreasts with M stripes (cosmetics)
  • Alcantara dashboard trim with CS engraving (cosmetics)
  • CF rear diffuser (cosmetics)
  • OLED tail lights (cosmetics)
  • CS door sills (cosmetics)
  • Exclusive Lime Rock Grey colour optional (cosmetics)

Now, from my own track rat perspective that wants to own a single fully warrantied car, the CS is a perfect fit for me. I daily my CS through all 4 seasons. I Drive it to work, to the store, take it on family outings/road trips with the wife and two kids, use it to haul material from the lumbar yard and more. Plus, it serves to fill my track addiction 20 to 25 days per year. So I guess I am the perfect target audience for the CS .

What I find makes the CS special from a performance standpoint is how small increments in every area, such as the suspension tuning, the increased power across the entire rev range, the lower weight, the improved aero and the retuned electronics (ABS, e-diff, EPS, DCT, EDC) optimized around track tires, have all been tuned to work in unison. The fact that I am 2 seconds faster at my local track compared to my previous M4 on the same tires is quite telling IMO. These improvement cannot be truly appreciated on a street only driven car. Further, elements such as the reduced sound deadening from the lighter door cards contribute to the overall driving experience. The CS still comes loaded with luxury and tech features. It is not that spartan. The lack of center armrest that so many complain about is a feature I actually appreciate as it provides improved elbow room to handle the steering on track. To me, the only slight annoyance, is the lack of comfort access. Having been pampered with such a feature for the previous 10 years, I still find myself tugging at a locked door handle on my CS even after 18 months of ownership. As for the power increases, it is much more substantial than the 9hp peak increase over the CP suggests. The power is increased over the entire rev range which results in close to 40hp gains at some RPM. The gain of accelerstion of the CS over the CP is greater than the gain of the CP over the base. See this thread for more details: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1376759

That being said, the base and competition package still offer great performance while offering more standard and optional comfort/luxury/tech items than the CS, which can make them better daily drivers to some. For instance, many of the driving aids are not offered on the CS. It is however important to point out that the CS comes standard with many features thay are optional on the base or CP variants. Further, the composition of the CS' executive package is quite different than the one of the other M4s, so you'll need to look up the details.

Features that cannot be had on the M4cs:
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Full leather doorcards
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center armrest
  • Rear Center console HVAC vents
  • Surround view
  • HK sound system
  • Active blind spot detection
  • Driving assistance (collision avoidance)
  • Parking assistant (self parking)
  • Sunroof
  • Headlight washers
  • Rear sunblind (Canada only)
  • 6MT
__________________
https://www.instagram.com/blacked_out_m3
2018 BMW M3: Black Sapphire/ Black Carbonstructure, 6MT, Black Grills, Black Badge, Black windows...Full LED Icon Adaptive lights.
17' MB C300W4 Wht/Wht|Retired:15' MB C250 2dr, 14' BMW 528xi Wht/Blk, 07' X5 4.8i Blk/Tob
Appreciate 2
CanAutM310928.00
kmouze9.00

      03-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
DML
Lieutenant Colonel
622
Rep
1,515
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarifast View Post
I've scoured this entire forum looking for what exactly the differences are, and I think the post below sums its up perfectly. Big thanks to CanAutM3

Also here in the US the only options are exec package and carbon ceramic brakes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's funny how every thread on the the CS turns into how those who don't have one say it's not worth it and those that do say it is .

I'll try not to fall into that trap by simply saying that it depends what you are looking for. BMW are starting to offer more levels of flavour to each of the ///M line-ups with the different trim levels. According to BMW own press material:
  • Base=Daily use + Racetrack
  • Competition= Daily use + Racetrack with enhanced performance
  • CS= Racetrack optimized + daily use
  • CSL(GTS)= Born for the Racetrack but still street legal (to drive to and from the track)
I think this sums it up pretty well .

You don't get the Competition Package "standard" with the CS, because the CS is another package altogether. What you do get with the CS package on the M4:
  • Engine tune +28/+9hp vs Base/CP and +38lb-ft of torque
  • CFRP driveshaft (drivetrain rigidity/weight reduction)
  • CF front splitter (downforce)
  • CF Gurney flap (downforce)
  • CF hood (downforce, improved cooling, weight reduction)
  • 763M wheels 19" front 20" rear (weight reduction)
  • PSC2 tires 265/35R19 front 285/30R20 rear (improved grip, however PSS in the US )
  • Recalibrated ABS, DSC, EPS, EDC, DCT and e-diff, optimized for R-comp tires
  • Retuned suspension (CP springs and rear swaybar, base front swaybar -> reduced understeer)
  • Increased top speed limiter
  • Lightweight door cards with pull straps (weight reduction/reduced sound deadening)
  • Alcantara steering wheel (improved grip)
  • Seats with alcantara side bolsters (improved grip)
  • Single zone HVAC (weight reduction)
  • Center armrest deletion (improved elbow room/weight reduction)
  • Headreasts with M stripes (cosmetics)
  • Alcantara dashboard trim with CS engraving (cosmetics)
  • CF rear diffuser (cosmetics)
  • OLED tail lights (cosmetics)
  • CS door sills (cosmetics)
  • Exclusive Lime Rock Grey colour optional (cosmetics)

Now, from my own track rat perspective that wants to own a single fully warrantied car, the CS is a perfect fit for me. I daily my CS through all 4 seasons. I Drive it to work, to the store, take it on family outings/road trips with the wife and two kids, use it to haul material from the lumbar yard and more. Plus, it serves to fill my track addiction 20 to 25 days per year. So I guess I am the perfect target audience for the CS .

What I find makes the CS special from a performance standpoint is how small increments in every area, such as the suspension tuning, the increased power across the entire rev range, the lower weight, the improved aero and the retuned electronics (ABS, e-diff, EPS, DCT, EDC) optimized around track tires, have all been tuned to work in unison. The fact that I am 2 seconds faster at my local track compared to my previous M4 on the same tires is quite telling IMO. These improvement cannot be truly appreciated on a street only driven car. Further, elements such as the reduced sound deadening from the lighter door cards contribute to the overall driving experience. The CS still comes loaded with luxury and tech features. It is not that spartan. The lack of center armrest that so many complain about is a feature I actually appreciate as it provides improved elbow room to handle the steering on track. To me, the only slight annoyance, is the lack of comfort access. Having been pampered with such a feature for the previous 10 years, I still find myself tugging at a locked door handle on my CS even after 18 months of ownership. As for the power increases, it is much more substantial than the 9hp peak increase over the CP suggests. The power is increased over the entire rev range which results in close to 40hp gains at some RPM. The gain of accelerstion of the CS over the CP is greater than the gain of the CP over the base. See this thread for more details: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1376759

That being said, the base and competition package still offer great performance while offering more standard and optional comfort/luxury/tech items than the CS, which can make them better daily drivers to some. For instance, many of the driving aids are not offered on the CS. It is however important to point out that the CS comes standard with many features thay are optional on the base or CP variants. Further, the composition of the CS' executive package is quite different than the one of the other M4s, so you'll need to look up the details.

Features that cannot be had on the M4cs:
  • Comfort access
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Full leather doorcards
  • Dual zone climate control
  • Center armrest
  • Rear Center console HVAC vents
  • Surround view
  • HK sound system
  • Active blind spot detection
  • Driving assistance (collision avoidance)
  • Parking assistant (self parking)
  • Sunroof
  • Headlight washers
  • Rear sunblind (Canada only)
  • 6MT
Outside of comfort access, it's a really fine sacrifice.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Maitre_Absolut
First Lieutenant
Maitre_Absolut's Avatar
316
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewted View Post
A lot of 2019 CS lease deals around $1099/month, but no options are ever listed. Here in Canada we have the Ultimate Package (every option available), does the CS have options or what is standard?
Outside of standard CS equipment (differences between M3 and M4) options for either were

Alcanatara steering wheel (600$ I believe)
CCBs (9k I believe)
__________________
2018 M3 CS /// M-Performance
2019 Audi SQ5
2018 X2 MsportX
2017 Macan GTS
2014 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
gripenM
Private First Class
gripenM's Avatar
Canada
42
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 19 M4 CS
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Outside of standard CS equipment (differences between M3 and M4) options for either were

Alcanatara steering wheel (600$ I believe)
CCBs (9k I believe)
yup only options on the M4 CS in Canada were these two.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #6
ZeCP
Private
147
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: SMB M4CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Also I would like to add here in the UK the earlier models of CS did not come with Icon LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #7
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10928
Rep
16,792
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeCP View Post
Also I would like to add here in the UK the earlier models of CS did not come with Icon LEDs.
From what I recall, “icon” headlights have always been offered on the CS in the UK, albeit as an option, just like in most parts of the world.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #8
swagon
Brigadier General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
4550
Rep
4,848
Posts

Drives: E82|F80|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
From what I recall, “icon” headlights have always been offered on the CS in the UK, albeit as an option, just like in most parts of the world.
British people, for whatever reason, do not want spend the extra money on proper lights. See so many loaded F8x with base LED's.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #9
BigHunk
///M
BigHunk's Avatar
Canada
69
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: X5M
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Selling point for 2019 M4 CS in Canada is middle 80(new)
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=630
__________________
not rich enough to buy cheap
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #10
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10928
Rep
16,792
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Selling point for 2019 M4 CS in Canada is middle 80(new)
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=630
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #11
Rewted
Captain
Rewted's Avatar
Canada
201
Rep
825
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
Also, doesn't necessarily mean it was a new car, just new (300km in) to the individual.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #12
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10928
Rep
16,792
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewted View Post
Also, doesn't necessarily mean it was a new car, just new (300km in) to the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
I'm roughly a week and 300km into ownership. M3 CS. Car was new and sitting on the lot. Paid around $80K Canadian which is about $60K U.S. So far I love it!! I was coming from a manual '17 M2. I miss the comfort access just a bit. But no big deal over all. Can't really drive it much until it warms up here. I might be the rare one who loves that its not obnoxiously loud. It's just perfect. I haven't even touched all the settings or even the paddles for that matter. Just slappin' it into D and cruisin' like my grandpa
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #13
Maitre_Absolut
First Lieutenant
Maitre_Absolut's Avatar
316
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: M3 CS
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
__________________
2018 M3 CS /// M-Performance
2019 Audi SQ5
2018 X2 MsportX
2017 Macan GTS
2014 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #14
Tonyfsu21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
100
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
I have a 19 M4CS. Bad ass car but thinking about a lease swap.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:42 AM   #15
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
10928
Rep
16,792
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
The MY is not fictitious. The 2018 M3cs was released a few months earlier and had a very short run, being at the end of the F80 chassis cycle. The M4cs was introduced a few months later at the start of the 2019 production run as is still produced today. You can have an 2019 M4cs that was produced more than a full year after the 2018 M3cs. Further, the M4cs has a higher MSRP than the the M3cs.

That being said, it is possible for the M3cs to retain more value due to the lower number sold. Time will tell.
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates

Last edited by CanAutM3; Today at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:18 AM   #16
DML
Lieutenant Colonel
622
Rep
1,515
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
I have a 19 M4CS. Bad ass car but thinking about a lease swap.
Any particular reason? I'm extremely close to buying one so obviously curious as to why you're looking to swap. How's the auto as a DD? Anything will help, thanks....
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:53 AM   #17
Tonyfsu21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
100
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
I have a 19 M4CS. Bad ass car but thinking about a lease swap.
Any particular reason? I'm extremely close to buying one so obviously curious as to why you're looking to swap. How's the auto as a DD? Anything will help, thanks....
It's perfect all the way around. The best M car I have ever owned. I'm thinking about buying a Tesla for work & can't justify both. I've used it as a daily for 6 months w/ zero issues. You really get used to having no comfort access so it's no longer a thought to me.
Appreciate 1
DML622.00

      Today, 01:47 PM   #18
DML
Lieutenant Colonel
622
Rep
1,515
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Darien CT.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Don't confuse things, that is 2018 M3cs in your link, not a 2019 M4cs. Dealers now have 2020 M4cs on their lots...
f**k me that is cheap. Good thing I haven't grown tired. Really don't know what would be next anyway.

Figure the 19M4 CS will be cheaper. They were released at the same time (MY difference is fictitious) and there are MY20s of the M4 CS as well.

Play the long game and we may come out on top!
I have a 19 M4CS. Bad ass car but thinking about a lease swap.
Any particular reason? I'm extremely close to buying one so obviously curious as to why you're looking to swap. How's the auto as a DD? Anything will help, thanks....
It's perfect all the way around. The best M car I have ever owned. I'm thinking about buying a Tesla for work & can't justify both. I've used it as a daily for 6 months w/ zero issues. You really get used to having no comfort access so it's no longer a thought to me.
Thanks! Nothing like communication with a "Real" owner. I'm currently in a 2017 ZCP and looking for a seamless transition. The dealers are being very price aggressive so hard to pass for a CP redux. Good luck with the Tesla BTW, with everything in efficient is the cabin on the quiet side?? Concerns the wife not me. While I've got your attention, like the SMB but not looking to achieve unnecessary attention, neck bender or not?? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST