R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

03-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

F82 Spark Plug Change BMW Labor dealership estimate

So my F82 came up on it's 3rd Service at 25k miles but since it's past it's free maintenance window, when I went in for service (I forgot it would need spark plugs) they estimated 6.2 hrs. Due to personal travel and work I didn't have time to research much and said just go ahead and do it. So the spark plug service it self came to about $1300

It's a little too late to be discussing and asking for some info now, but more for my future reference. Are BMW dealers expected to stick to a particular estimate (book value) for service or can they just charge whatever?
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I find their estimates to be bullshit as I did mine on my last m4 in under an hour.... $tealerships are often the worst place to go.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Wow thats highway robbery if that was for plugs only. BMW has a labor guide all dealers use called KSD which has a specific labor time for just about every repair, maintenance included. IIRC spark plugs are 3.0. Did they do anything else? Plugs are done with an oil change and engine air filters so that will account for a bit more, but unless they did a brake flush, vehicle check and microfilters I don't see how they got 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
I find their estimates to be bullshit as I did mine on my last m4 in under an hour.... $tealerships are often the worst place to go.
Unfortunately this is sometimes true and dealers should have to do a better job weeding out scumbags.

Last edited by heckyeahbro69; 03-08-2020 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
Wow thats highway robbery if that was for plugs only. BMW has a labor guide all dealers use called KSD which has a specific labor time for just about every repair, maintenance included. IIRC spark plugs are 3.0. Did they do anything else? Plugs are done with an oil change and engine air filters so that will account for a bit more, but unless they did a brake flush, vehicle check and microfilters I don't see how they got 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Unfortunately this is sometimes true and dealers should have to do a better job weeding out scumbags.
Thanks for the info. I felt it was a robbery, and I guess I chose to get robbed when I didn't call it off. The 6.2 was just for the spark plugs. There was an oil change and filter change that added up to another $300.

Interestingly when I was talking with a service advisor one day, he said $750 for that, which is inline with 3hrs. So I was surprised when they said 6.2 because there is more things to remove to do it for a f82 vs a non-M .

Does BMW require dealers to use those guidelines? Is there a way I can contact bmw to raise a question about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Local performance shop charged me $950 for both labor and parts on what we consider to be a thorough 50k maintenance:

1) Spark plugs replacement (1 degree colder NGKs)
2) Transmission fluid replacement
3) Rear differential fluid replacement
4) Oil change w/Redline 5w50

Car felt like new again and pulls harder according to my butt dyno based on significant seat time.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I paid $626 for spark plugs, oil change and air filters last year at a local Bmw dealer.
Spark plugs plus installation showed $310 on the invoice.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I paid $626 for spark plugs, oil change and air filters last year at a local Bmw dealer.
Spark plugs plus installation showed $310 on the invoice.
That sucks for me. But I am glad there are fair dealers out there, being in a smaller town I am kinda stuck with them. I wish I knew if BMW NA held them to any kind of standard or not
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #8
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
That sucks for me. But I am glad there are fair dealers out there, being in a smaller town I am kinda stuck with them. I wish I knew if BMW NA held them to any kind of standard or not
It's worth a call to customer relations or the dealer service manager. Explain the situation and tell them you feel you were overcharged.
      03-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

This past Saturday I was scheduled for an oil change and a filter change, which came out to be a bit over $400 for both. And on top of that since it's the third oil change the spark plugs change was recommended as well but I took my keys and left when the service advisor told me $1002 just for the spark plugs.

That weasel then tried to talk me into buying an extended 2 year maintenance plan for almost $4000.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica View Post
This past Saturday I was scheduled for an oil change and a filter change, which came out to be a bit over $400 for both. And on top of that since it's the third oil change the spark plugs change was recommended as well but I took my keys and left when the service advisor told me $1002 just for the spark plugs.

That weasel then tried to talk me into buying an extended 2 year maintenance plan for almost $4000.
That's sounds just like my dealership , except I was stupid enough to let them do the spark plug change. Hope it was not in Madison, WI
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

That's sounds just like my dealership , except I was stupid enough to let them do the spark plug change. Hope it was not in Madison, WI
Nope, BMW of Barrington in Chicago. Ridiculous price for spark plugs considering they cost around $150 I think for 6. Guess I got a DIY project for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, BMW of Barrington in Chicago. Ridiculous price for spark plugs considering they cost around $150 I think for 6. Guess I got a DIY project for the weekend.
I was a little afraid what might happen if I strip a thread or something ... since the car is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
prodigal77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F82 6MT

My local dealer quoted me around 1600. Obviously I didn't take him up on the offer.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
M3Jae
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone II

I paid $70 for the NGK spark plugs installation through BMW dealer while they were replacing my valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:47 AM   #15
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

So just to get it completely right, the spark plug change is not included for a car under original factory warranty? Thanks.
      04-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
So just to get it completely right, the spark plug change is not included for a car under original factory warranty? Thanks.
Only if you have an active maintenance plan.
      04-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
weytie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Competition

Did my spark plugs this weekend the first time. I just takes some time to remove all the surrounding parts before you get access to the plugs. If you have the right tools,and some mecanic experience this is piece of cake.
I did my plugs, alu charge pipes in about 3 hours with no rush. This included all the cleaning of the removed parts and the plastics around the windscreen area.
If i do it again, it would roughly take 1.5h to change the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weytie View Post
Did my spark plugs this weekend the first time. I just takes some time to remove all the surrounding parts before you get access to the plugs. If you have the right tools,and some mecanic experience this is piece of cake.
I did my plugs, alu charge pipes in about 3 hours with no rush. This included all the cleaning of the removed parts and the plastics around the windscreen area.
If i do it again, it would roughly take 1.5h to change the plugs.
Do you also update the computer to show that? Is there a risk to warranty? What happens if someone strips a thread... That's kinda been my worry
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #19
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Can anyone confirm that a thin walled socket is really needed? I have tools but not that one, just a few standard ones. TIA

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #20
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

For the SoCal owners, who do you trust to do this work with integrity?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:49 AM   #21
weytie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Competition

Quote:
Do you also update the computer to show that? Is there a risk to warranty? What happens if someone strips a thread... That's kinda been my worry
No computer update, just put in NGK plus for my stage 2 map. The plugs aren't really that bad to remove. You just need proper tools.
I don't see how you could damage the thread of the head? Loosen them with a wrenh, turn out bij hand. Turn the new one in by hand and tighten them with torque wrench
You don't have to remove them wit a impact gun he
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:39 AM   #22
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

It's pretty straight forward and it isn't too hard to do yourself as long as you have the proper tools, just time consuming. I had to use a thin wall spark plug socket with a wobble extension as the spark plugs sit at an angle in the spark plug tunnel.
Appreciate 0