R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-31-2020, 06:05 AM   #1
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Covid 19 help if possible

I Work as a respiratory therapist in ny and we are running short of masks and ppe. I figured I would put this us up to see if anyone has any connections or access to masks or any sort of ppe such as googles/face shields that can help my co workers and I. We have been told to re use n95 masks for 5 days and it is getting out of hand and not safe for us. I’m wearing the same mask for 5 days and it is not doing its job of protecting us anymore. These masks are not safe to wear and we are being spread thin running into rooms to take care of patients without thinking twice about protecting ourselves. I would never say no
To helping patients but at the same time I don’t want to take this virus home to my family.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 4
lavon2.00
Mr. Hankey1027.00
c12h231.00
c0nrad93.00
      03-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoix View Post
I Work as a respiratory therapist in ny and we are running short of masks and ppe. I figured I would put this us up to see if anyone has any connections or access to masks or any sort of ppe such as googles/face shields that can help my co workers and I. We have been told to re use n95 masks for 5 days and it is getting out of hand and not safe for us. I’m wearing the same mask for 5 days and it is not doing its job of protecting us anymore. These masks are not safe to wear and we are being spread thin running into rooms to take care of patients without thinking twice about protecting ourselves. I would never say no
To helping patients but at the same time I don’t want to take this virus home to my family.

Thank you for your help.
Have you considered a 3d printed version? Some people are 3d Printing them, and others are fabricating masks themselves from N95 materials. There are some links online to print them yourself. Good luck and stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
Have you considered a 3d printed version? Some people are 3d Printing them, and others are fabricating masks themselves from N95 materials. There are some links online to print them yourself. Good luck and stay safe!
I’ve never even heard of it. I’ll look it up today. I rather try that than wearing a bandana like they are telling us to do. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
I’ve never even heard of it. I’ll look it up today. I rather try that than wearing a bandana like they are telling us to do. Thank you
Bandanas wont filter out particles and if they get wet youre pretty much going to be kissing the coughed our particulate.

Just be careful.

I would suggest going for a 3D printed version if you can or just re-wash the N95 masks as instructed. Those have quite a bit of manufacturing requirements / guidelines. There's a reason the FDA is not allowing the KN95 masks from China through the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Unfortunately I can't help in the materials department for surgical or N95 masks specifically. I am working in a hospital with COVID patients and have been supplied 1 N-95 mask for the entire pandemic. Anesthesiologists and ICU docs are not even allowed to use the hospitals N95s except for known cases. The response to this pandemic nationally and events leading up to this since 2008 has proven to me that our hospital system in this country is a complete farce and is a front through which insurers, hospital execs, pharmaceutical companies, and device companies launder money through and rob the american people blind in the name of "value" and "quality"....but thats just an aside...But here's what I can offer:

Options:

1. you can sterilize N-95s by placing in an oven (preferentially convection) at 158 degrees F (160-165 I'm sure is fine) for 30 mins. Will kill any viruses or microbes. They are likely fine for 7 uses each. But one older than that still better than a bandana unless there is a tear or obvious poor seal. Also if it has a flapper exhaust valve make sure that is sealing otherwise you just breathing in outside air.

2. Look for elastomeric 1/2 face or in your case full face canister masks. These are still available at some places online (especially the full face mask ones). They are the ones people wear to spray chemicals and absorb organic solvents but if they have cannisters rated N-95 or P100 they will work regardless of what particular solvent they are used for. These masks are WAY better than N-95 but you will look like a firefighter...but hey this is a fire after all. Ideally if you are in a hospital system that is and will be overwhelmed by COVID such as in NYC then just get the full face mask elastomeric canister filter mask. 1 set of Canisters will be good for 6 months easily, likely 12.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4780254&rt=rud

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

And of course you need the canisters, anything N-95 or higher number, P100, or european level 2 are good for viruses...you might scare patients, but who cares.

3. Gowns - if out of gowns I have seen people wearing lightweight waterproof jackets with a built in hood - you can get just the shell. Material will withstand cleaning with chemicals / Clorox wipes...etc. for quite some time, and can be put in a drier for 45 minutes to technically "sterilize it"....have only seen this online being used on COVID-dedicated units though otherwise its not really "sterile" when seeing multiple patients unless they all have it...

Wish you best of luck. You are not being selfish...if the front line gets infected, there really isn't a second line for 3-4 weeks.

Read...no drive, the manual.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 03-31-2020 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Added some links
Appreciate 3
jc05e46m3847.50
c0nrad93.00
      03-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

First off, thanks for working on the front lines.
It is greatly appreciated!
In Miami they have been using pieces of laminate and stapling rubber bands to them to create make shift face shields.
This covid shit is more serious than people think.
My sister and her entire family have contracted it from air travel. They are all in quarantine at home. Fortunately the pneumonia they have is mild for now.
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      03-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
MNhv
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

PM me. I have a few that I saved for my family but I can spare a couple for you.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1027.00
      03-31-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Unfortunately I can't help in the materials department for surgical or N95 masks specifically. I am working in a hospital with COVID patients and have been supplied 1 N-95 mask for the entire pandemic. Anesthesiologists and ICU docs are not even allowed to use the hospitals N95s except for known cases. The response to this pandemic nationally and events leading up to this since 2008 has proven to me that our hospital system in this country is a complete farce and is a front through which insurers, hospital execs, pharmaceutical companies, and device companies launder money through and rob the american people blind in the name of "value" and "quality"....but thats just an aside...But here's what I can offer:

Options:

1. you can sterilize N-95s by placing in an oven (preferentially convection) at 158 degrees F (160-165 I'm sure is fine) for 30 mins. Will kill any viruses or microbes. They are likely fine for 7 uses each. But one older than that still better than a bandana unless there is a tear or obvious poor seal. Also if it has a flapper exhaust valve make sure that is sealing otherwise you just breathing in outside air.

2. Look for elastomeric 1/2 face or in your case full face canister masks. These are still available at some places online (especially the full face mask ones). They are the ones people wear to spray chemicals and absorb organic solvents but if they have cannisters rated N-95 or P100 they will work regardless of what particular solvent they are used for. These masks are WAY better than N-95 but you will look like a firefighter...but hey this is a fire after all. Ideally if you are in a hospital system that is and will be overwhelmed by COVID such as in NYC then just get the full face mask elastomeric canister filter mask. 1 set of Canisters will be good for 6 months easily, likely 12.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4780254&rt=rud

And of course you need the canisters, anything N-95 or higher number, P100, or european level 2 are good for viruses...you might scare patients, but who cares.

3. Gowns - if out of gowns I have seen people wearing lightweight waterproof jackets with a built in hood - you can get just the shell. Material will withstand cleaning with chemicals / Clorox wipes...etc. for quite some time, and can be put in a drier for 45 minutes to technically "sterilize it"....have only seen this online being used on COVID-dedicated units though otherwise its not really "sterile" when seeing multiple patients unless they all have it...

Wish you best of luck. You are not being selfish...if the front line gets infected, there really isn't a second line for 3-4 weeks.

Thank you for your service. Very very useful information. I like the waterproof jacket idea. Going to get a raincoat and wipe it down. Great idea I was skeptical about sterilizing the mask because the fibers that filter the air we breath is compromised Very scared to try new things and use the mask because the lack of proven data. But at this point I’m willing to try it. I agree with your idea of all this being ridiculous. It’s crazy how they are handling all of this and leaving us out to dry.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1027.00
      03-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
In Miami they have been using pieces of laminate and stapling rubber bands to them to create make shift face shields.
My sister and her entire family have contracted it from air travel. They are all in quarantine at home. Fortunately the pneumonia they have is mild for now.

Another great idea. It just sounds uncomfortable to have the material on your face for 14 hours a day. But still a real option. I really hope they feel better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Thank you for your service. Very very useful information. I like the waterproof jacket idea. Going to get a raincoat and wipe it down. Great idea I was skeptical about sterilizing the mask because the fibers that filter the air we breath is compromised Very scared to try new things and use the mask because the lack of proven data. But at this point I’m willing to try it. I agree with your idea of all this being ridiculous. It’s crazy how they are handling all of this and leaving us out to dry.
This is a completely data-free zone. There's great data on the actual PPE effectiveness, but no data on the "do it yourself" PPE that we are all being forced to use out of necessity. Vents are the big one though. US death rate tracking at just a tick over 1% which is very good, but as soon as the vents are taken we will completely mimic Italy and jump to 8-10% death rate as the limiting step. And we are just requiring GM to make vents as some sort of punishment (insert evil laugh here)?...should be anywhere that is able to produce parts at this point. And screw the vent companies claiming potential patent infringement as well...they should all be forced to work in ERs and ICUs for a day...

Forgive the pun but the post mortem analysis on this is going to be interesting on so many levels.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

Im also exposed to it every day. I have some level one masks. I don't think they would be very effective but I can send them to you if you'd like. PM me you address if you want them. I can also spare a face shield. You can reuse it but it will get scratched over time.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #12
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Do you have any friends or relatives that do or know someone that works at a nail salon?

My wife was able to secure 9 boxes of face masks from her friend that owns a nail salon.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I'm also in healthcare and we also have limited supplies of masks and PPE. Here is a good article that does show some data on the effectiveness of sterilizing n95 masks. Stay safe everyone.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%...ovid19-PPE-1-1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Sent you a PM. Have a good friend who owns a medical supply company who can source large quantities of PPE. Let me know if you'd like the contact.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #15
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I Work as a respiratory therapist in ny and we are running short of masks and ppe. I figured I would put this us up to see if anyone has any connections or access to masks or any sort of ppe such as googles/face shields that can help my co workers and I. We have been told to re use n95 masks for 5 days and it is getting out of hand and not safe for us. I'm wearing the same mask for 5 days and it is not doing its job of protecting us anymore. These masks are not safe to wear and we are being spread thin running into rooms to take care of patients without thinking twice about protecting ourselves. I would never say no
To helping patients but at the same time I don't want to take this virus home to my family.

Thank you for your help.
I think Glickenhaus(they are in NY) is making face masks for the hospitals, I would try and contact them asap!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-N-LZ3B...=1u4ex21yogkpd

Jim at scgcars dot com
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveneezy View Post
I'm also in healthcare and we also have limited supplies of masks and PPE. Here is a good article that does show some data on the effectiveness of sterilizing n95 masks. Stay safe everyone.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%...ovid19-PPE-1-1
Thank you!! Will try it today.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Do you have any friends or relatives that do or know someone that works at a nail salon?

My wife was able to secure 9 boxes of face masks from her friend that owns a nail salon.
They have the surgical masks which I have. I don’t think they have the n95s. I Will ask my wife to ask her friend . She is a nurse and they were told to share one mask betweeen five nurses. Disgusting
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
I think Glickenhaus(they are in NY) is making face masks for the hospitals, I would try and contact them asap!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-N-LZ3B...=1u4ex21yogkpd

Jim at scgcars dot com
Will try Right now. Thank you !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post
Sent you a PM. Have a good friend who owns a medical supply company who can source large quantities of PPE. Let me know if you'd like the contact.
Just messaged you. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #20
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
God bless you for your service and bravery during this time. I don't have masks. I've tried to order on amazon and other sites and have been denied or given ETA or 2 months, which makes me feel good that they are going elsewhere. I do however have loads of Nitril gloves (Im in the food service industry) that I can send you. PM if that works and if you'd like. Stay safe, and God bless.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #21
evoix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP View Post
God bless you for your service and bravery during this time. I don't have masks. I've tried to order on amazon and other sites and have been denied or given ETA or 2 months, which makes me feel good that they are going elsewhere. I do however have loads of Nitril gloves (Im in the food service industry) that I can send you. PM if that works and if you'd like. Stay safe, and God bless.

Thank you very very much for your generosity. We have a lot of gloves and surgical caps and I am praying we do not run out. I searched for masks everywhere online such as amazon, ebay, and the companies that make N95's directly. The wait as you stated is months which is of no use to us at this moment. Thank you for the offer and I really appreciate it. If we run out of gloves I will let you know. Stay safe and healthy.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50
      04-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #22
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Same thing happen to friend of mine in nyc
Appreciate 0