Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
Pinoyf80
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SO F80 M3

Hello all, I recently changed my windshield after a rock hit it and left a big crack. Upon receiving my car back, I noticed the HUD was very dark. Even on the max brightness setting on the I drive it is not as bright as it used to be. I replaced with OEM glass and checked it it was the correct part number and everything checks out. Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: Tech replaced the rain sensor and HUD is back to normal
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:58 PM   #2
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

This happened to me, but I forgot I had front tint (75%) on the windshield. Re-tinted the front and all was fixed (brighter and more crisp). not sure if the tint place recalibrated it but I suspect the Safelite facility which replaced the windshield didn't do any coding and said there wasn't any needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
Pinoyf80
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SO F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
This happened to me, but I forgot I had front tint (75%) on the windshield. Re-tinted the front and all was fixed (brighter and more crisp). not sure if the tint place recalibrated it but I suspect the Safelite facility which replaced the windshield didn't do any coding and said there wasn't any needed.
Thanks for the reply. The people who did the install are going to try and replace the rain/solar sensor. Im really hoping that will fix the issue. Will update the thread if solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
Yo! I have experienced this personally, here's what i found:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1859406

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

I have personally been through this multiple times on different platforms:

F82
Front glass was replaced due to large rock chip that eventually ran across the driver FOV. HUD was immediately noted to be off. Went through glass swap and still had the same issue.
Realized they were using non-OEM glass. Made request to swap out for OEM glass and all was resolved.

GMC Yukon
Glass cracked and replaced. HUD looked terrible - unfocused and distorted. Wife's ride and she seemed to not care, but I had to turn it off any time I drove because it caused headache-inducing eye strain.
That glass also cracked and in the interim had gone through the above issues with my M4, so requested OEM glass. The OEM item wasn't available for at least a couple of weeks, so settled for the non-OEM glass again. Once again noticed abnormal HUD appearance.
Finally got the OEM glass swapped in and HUD was back to normal.
      04-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
JaysonGoh
Rep
Drives: 330i

Seem like windshield glass issue
Appreciate 0