EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
SteveChester
Steve Roberts
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1035
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
S55 crank hub video

Interesting video on YouTube...



I had this happen to me about 6 weeks after I had the car (it was stock then) so now I'm out of warranty and Bootmod stage 2 keen for it not to happen again
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 1
SynTom45.00

      11-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
SynTom's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Great video, on the M3 cutters people are talking about using the Litchfields fix. It's between £300 and £400 and secures bolts around the two gears on the crank hub while also covering the bolt itself so the whole unit has to move as one.

The only problem with fixes like this, Usually when the crank hub goes, in most cases timing slips ever so slightly so that car drives rough with a drivetrain malfunction. However with these fixes, if the crank hub does slip it'll usually result in total engine failure.

The Litchfields fix however does look promising so when the extended warranty expires I may consider it. However if money is no issue and you want maximum power, the maxPSI crank hub available on Kies Motorsports is bulletproof. The MaxPSI M4 is running stupid stupid power and there is yet to be a single incident of a MaxPSI crank hub failing I believe.

There are also surely some other great companies out there as well as the ones mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:50 AM   #3
HARSN
New Member
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn_Tom View Post
Great video, on the M3 cutters people are talking about using the Litchfields fix. It's between £300 and £400 and secures bolts around the two gears on the crank hub while also covering the bolt itself so the whole unit has to move as one.

The only problem with fixes like this, Usually when the crank hub goes, in most cases timing slips ever so slightly so that car drives rough with a drivetrain malfunction. However with these fixes, if the crank hub does slip it'll usually result in total engine failure.

The Litchfields fix however does look promising so when the extended warranty expires I may consider it. However if money is no issue and you want maximum power, the maxPSI crank hub available on Kies Motorsports is bulletproof. The MaxPSI M4 is running stupid stupid power and there is yet to be a single incident of a MaxPSI crank hub failing I believe.

There are also surely some other great companies out there as well as the ones mentioned.
When you say fixes like this, are you referring to the Litchfield one? Or the one in the video? Because as far as I was aware, the capture plate only stops the bolt loosening, however the hub can still slip with it, but it will slip as it normally would?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
SynTom's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARSN View Post
When you say fixes like this, are you referring to the Litchfield one? Or the one in the video? Because as far as I was aware, the capture plate only stops the bolt loosening, however the hub can still slip with it, but it will slip as it normally would?
I'm referencing any fix that involves using a plate to secure the bolt to the hub, this includes the cheaper Litchfields fix. They void the BMW warranty and some units, (not Litchfield) have been known to blow to bits under high pressure and take the front of the engine with them. They also increase the stress on the crank hub assembly by increasing the rotational inertia of the vibration damper which has been theorised as the key to the bolt backing out/hub slipping in the first place.

Regards,
Tom.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
apollo
Private First Class
23
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: F82 Sakhir Orange
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N Ireland

iTrader: (1)

In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
63
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: lloydminster,ab

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
Almost every video on this subject is done by shops trying to create fear/business. If they say it rare for engine damage than majority ill just wait for the .05% chance its gonna happen
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
SynTom's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Coupé
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
Almost every video on this subject is done by shops trying to create fear/business. If they say it rare for engine damage than majority ill just wait for the .05% chance its gonna happen
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
alijnclarke
New Member
6
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
I've only heard / seen two cars that this has happened to, and they weren't pretty! Mostly people do just have timing issues
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
SteveChester
Steve Roberts
SteveChester's Avatar
United Kingdom
1035
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
And another one -
__________________
Steve Roberts
F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
alijnclarke
New Member
6
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
And another one -
I watched a car with one of these fail at vmax
Appreciate 1
SynTom45.00

      12-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
5250
Rep
17,625
Posts

Drives: M4 CP/G20 330e/F31 340i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alijnclarke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
And another one -
I watched a car with one of these fail at vmax
The VTT spline lock fix failed? How much power was the car running?

I guess that leaves the Maximum PSI one as the outright best option?
__________________
Current: 2018 M4 Competition, 2019 G20 330e MSport, 2016 F31 340i MSport tourer
Gone...F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
HARSN
New Member
2
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alijnclarke View Post
I watched a car with one of these fail at vmax
What happened to the car when it failed? I assume it took the whole engine with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
alijnclarke
New Member
6
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

He actually drove home in it!! Was fixed with a different (not sure on the brand) hub, very lucky. I know of another car (stock) that blew on a runway, that needed a new engine.

This guy was running unknown brand hybrids, roughly 550whp - so not insane power
Appreciate 1
SynTom45.00

      12-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
alijnclarke
New Member
6
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The VTT spline lock fix failed? How much power was the car running?

I guess that leaves the Maximum PSI one as the outright best option?
I've tested maxpsi on mine very hard, had no trouble, so i'd recommend it. Also never heard any stories of theirs failing.
Appreciate 1
SynTom45.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST