EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #67
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
51
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
6MT, doing mine around 19k.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #68
nioh_lbbm2
Captain
569
Rep
932
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
6MT, doing mine around 19k.
What oil will you be using? Just out of curiosity
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #69
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
51
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
What oil will you be using? Just out of curiosity
LT-5 Manual Transmission Fluid - 75W80
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #70
papasmurf_m3
Second Lieutenant
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
261
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I understand changing something like engine oil for peace of mind...but DCT fluid? Thats super low mileage so nothing to worry about there. Personally, I wouldnt think about doing DCT fluid until I was approaching 100k miles. Its a complete waste of time and money at this point not to mention added risk of the fluid change being done incorrectly.
I agree with what you say. But, the only thing that has me is the fact that if you drive the car hard on weekends which many of us do. Or even take to a track event once in awhile. That creates more wear on the DCT clutches which will introduce more shavings into the oil so it should in theory accelerate the wear of the DCT fluid. If I only drove it like a granny then yea sure. Thats the only part that has me on the fence. Im at 45k and about to take my car in to warranty the seat emblems and wondering if I should have them do DCT fluid pan seals etc as well as diff fluid. 1 for peace of mind and 2 because I don't know how it was driven prior. I'm going to ask them. See what happens.
__________________
Instagram - @papasmurf_m3
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #71
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I understand changing something like engine oil for peace of mind...but DCT fluid? Thats super low mileage so nothing to worry about there. Personally, I wouldnt think about doing DCT fluid until I was approaching 100k miles. Its a complete waste of time and money at this point not to mention added risk of the fluid change being done incorrectly.
I agree with what you say. But, the only thing that has me is the fact that if you drive the car hard on weekends which many of us do. Or even take to a track event once in awhile. That creates more wear on the DCT clutches which will introduce more shavings into the oil so it should in theory accelerate the wear of the DCT fluid. If I only drove it like a granny then yea sure. Thats the only part that has me on the fence. Im at 45k and about to take my car in to warranty the seat emblems and wondering if I should have them do DCT fluid pan seals etc as well as diff fluid. 1 for peace of mind and 2 because I don't know how it was driven prior. I'm going to ask them. See what happens.
Be prepared to possibly get pushback from the dealer about performing a DCT fluid change, even on your dime. Since DCT fluid is considered "lifetime" BMW will typically only change it out if necessary as part of some other repair (warranty or otherwise). This limits their liability as the DCT fluid change is more "complex" than most fluid changes. This BMW practice is common with other "lifetime" labeled aspects on BMWs, especially on the more expensive M-Cars. Or you could get lucky and the dealer will still do it for you (on your dime of course).

That said, while the DCT fluid change is more complex than a 6MT fluid change, based on reports from those who have done it, it is still not that hard to do correctly. It seems very similar to a standard auto transmission fluid change (which BMW also considers lifetime, too - but I still did it on my wife's 2013 X3, and glad I did).
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #72
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3122
Rep
6,188
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
I agree with what you say. But, the only thing that has me is the fact that if you drive the car hard on weekends which many of us do. Or even take to a track event once in awhile. That creates more wear on the DCT clutches which will introduce more shavings into the oil so it should in theory accelerate the wear of the DCT fluid. If I only drove it like a granny then yea sure. Thats the only part that has me on the fence. Im at 45k and about to take my car in to warranty the seat emblems and wondering if I should have them do DCT fluid pan seals etc as well as diff fluid. 1 for peace of mind and 2 because I don't know how it was driven prior. I'm going to ask them. See what happens.
Up to you but I personally wouldnt worry about it. The DCT has been around for years, many of which have seen well over 100k miles with the original fluid. I have yet to read about an issue someone experienced because the fluid was not changed on their DCT.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #73
SE7EN335
Lieutenant
98
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
DCT is certainly not lifetime fluid.

I changed my DCT pan, dct filter and fluid at 40k which is what ECS recommends.

My pan was leaking as well. The gaskets go bad with age and will leak.
I have never heard of a m3 or m4 dct pan leaking as of yet.

I have heard of a singular case of a f87 m2 pre-lci dct pan leaking.

But the heat shielding of the f8x m3 and m4 is far better than on the m2 and previous generation bmw that use the same Getrag DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #74
SE7EN335
Lieutenant
98
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (1)

My personal preference for the DCT change would be 60K miles if you do daily drive and have the GTS transmission flash.

I believe the DCT fluid change has the same change interval like the 6 speed and 8 speed ZF auto transmissions.


BMW says that the auto transmission fluid is "lifetime" but we all know that ZF recommends it should be changed at 80-100K kms intervals.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #75
M3ILANA
Private
28
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW E36
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Vero Beach

iTrader: (0)

Ppl changing DCT oil at 20k and using ECS as any kind or reliable source for maintenance is priceless. These users should be given a star to warn off others from taking their advice on here lmao
Appreciate 1
MaX PL167.50

      02-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #76
papasmurf_m3
Second Lieutenant
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
261
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

I was wondering about changing my DCT fluid also just to keep it new. But, as mentioned BMW says the fluid is lifetime so that typically means 100k. I spoke to my SA who is a bmw enthusiast and he says he would recommend 60-70k miles.

One thing I do know is never do a flush. When I used to run AMG's Ive heard guys doing a flush. But, end up messing up a perfect transmission. The powerful flushes dislodge dirt in all kinds of nooks and crannies of your trans and end up clogging up your lines and then you can start to have all kinds of issues, chasing your tail and costing you bookoo bucks.

Knowing this. I only did drain and refills with new fliter and gasket at proper intervals and never had any issues with my AMG. I mentioned this to my SA and he knew exactly what I was talking about and said he always advises no flushes! He said changing DCT fluid before 60-70k is unnecessary. So I decided to skip that for now because I will be installing dodson sportsman plus DCT clutches at some point during the engine mods. So, I'll do the DCT fluid then.

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Instagram - @papasmurf_m3
Appreciate 1
THEROK513.50

      02-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #77
elite53
New Member
2
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

I recently read an article about DCT gearboxes that said the oil in these new style gearboxes main purpose is not as lubrication (although it does do that) but to act as a hydraulic fluid that allows the gearbox to function and change gears. It went on to say that because of this and the internal filters that they can run to very long service intervals. (lifetime?) The recommendation was that it only would need changed if the gearbox was subjected to very high temperatures such that the viscosity of the fluid could be broken down. An example was multiple track days in the Arizona dessert. I really want to say the article was was written by Blackstone Laboratories? But, I can't seem to find it now. They went on to say that if you live in a mild climate like I do (Seattle) leave it alone. If you live in the dessert and drive it hard change it. Just wanted to pass along what I read. I would personally feel better changing it myself but I haven't seen a good written procedure on how to do it properly?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #78
jboogie315
Private
13
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

6 Speed at 30k along with differential and oil change. Shifting with fresh fluid is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #79
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
United_States
51
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Did my 6MT at 17k, not because of any issues, but because why not - preventative maintenance I suppose. No difference in shifting feel.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #80
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1534
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Holy mother of bad information thread... don't worry help is here..

1. BMW no longer changes the transmission fluid at 1,200 miles. Period. Does not matter if you have a 6 speed or DCT. They will NOT do it.
2. Your tech can't tell what the condition of the fluid is just by looking at it. He or she is not God. A lab can however - and if you are worried about it, call Blackstone Labs, get a container and send the stuff in.
3. Changing the DCT fluid is VERY expensive - as posted about $900-$1,000.
4. The dealer will do everything in their power to NOT change it as they just don't know how 90% of the time.
5. In fact, their book says the manual transmission takes 4.5 L of fluid - which is wrong - and so you will probably be quoted something crazy (I called multiple dealers when I wanted my fluid changed).
6. I did have my manual trans fluid changed - at 5,400 miles because a) I thought it was a good idea and b) my shifting sucks when cold. The lab results are below and my shifting still sucks when it is cold out (as noted, you have to use a different fluid if you want that to improve - the OEM fluid will not change much).
7. I agree - all of the people I talk to say the DCT does not need changing. Others who have had it done at 50,000 and sent results into lab report the same. Maybe at 100,000 miles?
8. On the 8 speed auto however, you better do it - cause that thing will fail at 100,000 miles if you don't. And it is also expensive to change due to the fluid costing so much (like the DCT).

HTH
Attached Images
 
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #81
QMoney
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: F82
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Holy mother of bad information thread... don't worry help is here..

1. BMW no longer changes the transmission fluid at 1,200 miles. Period. Does not matter if you have a 6 speed or DCT. They will NOT do it.
2. Your tech can't tell what the condition of the fluid is just by looking at it. He or she is not God. A lab can however - and if you are worried about it, call Blackstone Labs, get a container and send the stuff in.
3. Changing the DCT fluid is VERY expensive - as posted about $900-$1,000.
4. The dealer will do everything in their power to NOT change it as they just don't know how 90% of the time.
5. In fact, their book says the manual transmission takes 4.5 L of fluid - which is wrong - and so you will probably be quoted something crazy (I called multiple dealers when I wanted my fluid changed).
6. I did have my manual trans fluid changed - at 5,400 miles because a) I thought it was a good idea and b) my shifting sucks when cold. The lab results are below and my shifting still sucks when it is cold out (as noted, you have to use a different fluid if you want that to improve - the OEM fluid will not change much).
7. I agree - all of the people I talk to say the DCT does not need changing. Others who have had it done at 50,000 and sent results into lab report the same. Maybe at 100,000 miles?
8. On the 8 speed auto however, you better do it - cause that thing will fail at 100,000 miles if you don't. And it is also expensive to change due to the fluid costing so much (like the DCT).

HTH
On your point #8, you do recommend changing the transmission fluids on a DCT? What mileage do you recommend changing at? I'm almost at 50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #82
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Holy mother of bad information thread... don't worry help is here..

1. BMW no longer changes the transmission fluid at 1,200 miles. Period. Does not matter if you have a 6 speed or DCT. They will NOT do it.
2. Your tech can't tell what the condition of the fluid is just by looking at it. He or she is not God. A lab can however - and if you are worried about it, call Blackstone Labs, get a container and send the stuff in.
3. Changing the DCT fluid is VERY expensive - as posted about $900-$1,000.
4. The dealer will do everything in their power to NOT change it as they just don't know how 90% of the time.
5. In fact, their book says the manual transmission takes 4.5 L of fluid - which is wrong - and so you will probably be quoted something crazy (I called multiple dealers when I wanted my fluid changed).
6. I did have my manual trans fluid changed - at 5,400 miles because a) I thought it was a good idea and b) my shifting sucks when cold. The lab results are below and my shifting still sucks when it is cold out (as noted, you have to use a different fluid if you want that to improve - the OEM fluid will not change much).
7. I agree - all of the people I talk to say the DCT does not need changing. Others who have had it done at 50,000 and sent results into lab report the same. Maybe at 100,000 miles?
8. On the 8 speed auto however, you better do it - cause that thing will fail at 100,000 miles if you don't. And it is also expensive to change due to the fluid costing so much (like the DCT).

HTH
Clarification on your point #1 wrt 6MT... BMW will not change out your oil as part of the included 1200 mile service, but they will do it if you pay for it. The dealer may push back, citing some "lifetime oil" BS - but not all will. However, most dealerships with good master techs and/or good Service Advisors (especially good SA managers) will not turn you away if you want to do a 6MT oil change on your dime. It is just too easy, very low risk, and not that expensive. If you have a dealer that flat out refuses to do a 6MT fluid change on your dime, you need to find another dealer (or just do it yourself - it is even easier than an engine oil change).

As for DCT, that is a different world as others have discussed in this thread. So YMMV with a DCT....
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #83
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3122
Rep
6,188
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMoney View Post
On your point #8, you do recommend changing the transmission fluids on a DCT? What mileage do you recommend changing at? I'm almost at 50,000 miles.
Did you read what he wrote or what I mentioned numerous times throughout the thread? He literally says in the post you quoted that he would not do DCT fluid until 100k miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #84
doug_999
Brigadier General
doug_999's Avatar
1534
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Clarification on your point #1 wrt 6MT... BMW will not change out your oil as part of the included 1200 mile service, but they will do it if you pay for it. The dealer may push back, citing some "lifetime oil" BS - but not all will. However, most dealerships with good master techs and/or good Service Advisors (especially good SA managers) will not turn you away if you want to do a 6MT oil change on your dime. It is just too easy, very low risk, and not that expensive. If you have a dealer that flat out refuses to do a 6MT fluid change on your dime, you need to find another dealer (or just do it yourself - it is even easier than an engine oil change).

As for DCT, that is a different world as others have discussed in this thread. So YMMV with a DCT....
Ha! They should - I tried THREE dealers. Each quoted me $900 and said "not recommended". I explained that their info was or the DCT and they retorted that "If our tech finds that only 1.5L of fluid is required, then we will adjust the bill". They did NOT inspire confidence! And yes, I shook my head over and over. I ended up going to a local shop that is run by two former BMW mechanics. They explained that it just isn't done anymore so the guys simply do not know how to do it. Guess what else they told me? If I wanted a magnetic plug for the trans (to catch metal shavings) they noted "If BMW finds that, they will void your transmission warranty". Unbelievable - and yet true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMoney View Post
On your point #8, you do recommend changing the transmission fluids on a DCT? What mileage do you recommend changing at? I'm almost at 50,000 miles.
Well, I can only go by what I've heard - and that is, for some reason, the DCT fluid is not only very difficult to change (only BMW dealers have the equipment I think), that those who have had it changed and analyzed, found that it was perfect. I therefore have no idea when is a good time to change it - but I do know it is risky and I do know that there should be no such thing as a lifetime fill - but that's just me.
__________________
2018 M3, Mineral White, 6 speed, ZCP, loaded sans CCB
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #85
jmciver
Major
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,020
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Clarification on your point #1 wrt 6MT... BMW will not change out your oil as part of the included 1200 mile service, but they will do it if you pay for it. The dealer may push back, citing some "lifetime oil" BS - but not all will. However, most dealerships with good master techs and/or good Service Advisors (especially good SA managers) will not turn you away if you want to do a 6MT oil change on your dime. It is just too easy, very low risk, and not that expensive. If you have a dealer that flat out refuses to do a 6MT fluid change on your dime, you need to find another dealer (or just do it yourself - it is even easier than an engine oil change).

As for DCT, that is a different world as others have discussed in this thread. So YMMV with a DCT....
Ha! They should - I tried THREE dealers. Each quoted me $900 and said "not recommended". I explained that their info was or the DCT and they retorted that "If our tech finds that only 1.5L of fluid is required, then we will adjust the bill". They did NOT inspire confidence! And yes, I shook my head over and over. I ended up going to a local shop that is run by two former BMW mechanics. They explained that it just isn't done anymore so the guys simply do not know how to do it. Guess what else they told me? If I wanted a magnetic plug for the trans (to catch metal shavings) they noted "If BMW finds that, they will void your transmission warranty". Unbelievable - and yet true.
Yeah, they gave me that crap answer initially as well. Apparently, their computer system always defaults to the DCT configuration when they call up the transmission fluid job - even if they put in your VIN. I had to look over the shoulder of the SA as he pulled it up on his computer screen. A few button clicks later, he had the right info for the 6MT. Then after all that "churn", they told me they did not have the oil in stock.... I ended up getting it done a few weeks later at another dealer.
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 S/C Track Car - Gone, But Not Forgotten (Sold).....
Appreciate 1
doug_9991533.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST