Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-04-2023, 10:27 AM   #1
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

My Eibach Euro V1s were installed in the front of my F83 (stock ZCPs in the rear) a year ago, and the front drop was perfect for me - pretty even wheel gap, low enough to look sporty but high enough to mostly not scrape except for very steep slopes.

In the last few months, however, the front has dropped even further. It looks even more sporty now, but scrapes more often.

I’ve had the same front lip during the period of comparison, and the car has covered about 10k miles. It’s currently at 62k miles.

I’m trying to figure out if it could be that the Eibachs have settled further (not sure how likely, I thought there’s usually only an initial settling period), or if the lowering is symptomatic of the front shocks letting up.

If it’s the latter, then I’m looking at some coilovers to solve this height problem, and to also solve the issue of the car being easily unsettled over road bumps and imperfections.

But first, I’d like to figure out if the additional lowering is due to the shocks. I’m not handy, and don’t have my own garage. I’m seeking opinions from experienced folks here before going to a workshop to have a thorough inspection. Many thanks in advance!

Here’s a before and after set of pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Looks great!!
      05-04-2023, 04:31 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
My Eibach Euro V1s were installed in the front of my F83 (stock ZCPs in the rear) a year ago, and the front drop was perfect for me - pretty even wheel gap, low enough to look sporty but high enough to mostly not scrape except for very steep slopes.

In the last few months, however, the front has dropped even further. It looks even more sporty now, but scrapes more often.

I’ve had the same front lip during the period of comparison, and the car has covered about 10k miles. It’s currently at 62k miles.

I’m trying to figure out if it could be that the Eibachs have settled further (not sure how likely, I thought there’s usually only an initial settling period), or if the lowering is symptomatic of the front shocks letting up.

If it’s the latter, then I’m looking at some coilovers to solve this height problem, and to also solve the issue of the car being easily unsettled over road bumps and imperfections.

But first, I’d like to figure out if the additional lowering is due to the shocks. I’m not handy, and don’t have my own garage. I’m seeking opinions from experienced folks here before going to a workshop to have a thorough inspection. Many thanks in advance!

Here’s a before and after set of pics:
Springs do eventually wear down and collapse a little bit over time -- but not in 10k miles. Check your tire pressure. Even though you can't really tell from the outside, there's a height difference when the tire is at 35psi vs 20psi.

Your shocks could also be on it's way out (wouldn't surprise me if you daily drive in SF). This would cause the compression and rebound to be less dampened -- which in turn would "pogo" the car more when going over bumps/dips.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Looks great!!
Thanks! Scraping is no fun though 😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Springs do eventually wear down and collapse a little bit over time — but not in 10k miles. Check your tire pressure. Even though you can't really tell from the outside, there's a height difference when the tire is at 35psi vs 20psi.

Your shocks could also be on it's way out (wouldn't surprise me if you daily drive in SF). This would cause the compression and rebound to be less dampened — which in turn would "pogo" the car more when going over bumps/dips.
Thanks, that’s what I thought too, that 10k miles is a little soon for that, thus my suspicion that it could be the shocks wearing gradually (cos it’s not had a step-function change in feel or performance). I’ll also check the tire pressures, it has been a while since I gave them some air. Appreciate the advice!
Appreciate 0