proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
ArieArie
Old man
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3

'01 M5 owner, looking to got a new M3 - need help

I just joined this community.

I'm early on in the process of buying/ordering a new M3. I ordered my M5 over 17 years ago and things changed a bit since then. The M5 was simple to order. No packages, and few simple options.

I have 185k miles on my current car and I loved every single one of those. As with the M5, the M3 will be my daily driver.

Im not in a rush, the M5 drives fine, but the repairs are getting more often and more expensive.

I was playing with the online M3 configurator and the more I play with it, the more confused I get. I need help from current owners with understanding the value you get from each of the "packages" and options. Which are Must Have and which are a waste of money. I know it is somewhat subjective and individual but your opinion would help.

I'm not referring to cosmetics or colors, but more to drivability, comfort and performance. The only thing I'm sure of is that I will choose a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Arie

EDIT: I should have added in my original posting that I intend to keep the car for as long as it drives, so I don't really care what the resale value would be.

P.S. attached is a gratuitous picture of my '01 M5.
Attached Images

Last edited by ArieArie; 04-05-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Personally I do not think any of the packages are a must have. I have been really happy with my "stripper" M3 (only added adaptive suspension (which is now standard) and Leather), but I am actually planning to upgrade to a ZCP car this year.

I believe most people are getting the ZCP at this point and likely add the Executive package, but the executive package is not a must have for me. I really see no value in the Drivers package (lane alert/360 camera) or lighting package.

I am probably going to just get a 2018 M3 with ZCP and leather, no other options. I wouldn't mind the backup camera but that might actually be standard at some point in the near future due to regulations.
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
RACEM4TE
Banned
Rep
Drives: S63 AMG COUPÈ, Mclaren 675LT

The E39 M5 is something too special to be sold, keep holding too it. Its a N/A V8 w/manual
Appreciate 2
ArieArie321.50
      04-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
ArieArie
Old man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEM4TE View Post
The E39 M5 is something too special to be sold, keep holding too it. Its a N/A V8 w/manual
Oh, no, I'm not selling the M5.. I drive this car almost every day for 17 years, Its a relationship. It lasted longer than some marriages I know..

And the trade up or blue book value does not reflect what this car is worth.
      04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
ArieArie
Old man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Personally I do not think any of the packages are a must have. I have been really happy with my "stripper" M3 (only added adaptive suspension (which is now standard) and Leather), but I am actually planning to upgrade to a ZCP car this year.

I believe most people are getting the ZCP at this point and likely add the Executive package, but the executive package is not a must have for me. I really see no value in the Drivers package (lane alert/360 camera) or lighting package.

I am probably going to just get a 2018 M3 with ZCP and leather, no other options. I wouldn't mind the backup camera but that might actually be standard at some point in the near future due to regulations.
Thanks, this is helpful. Can you comment on the ZCP 20" wheels? Since I will use the car everyday, I wonder if those tires could be too low profile to deal with potholes etc.
Also, when would the MY18 be available for ordering and what's an estimate of first deliveries for the MY18..

I should have added in my original post that I intend to keep the car for as long as it drives, so I don't really care what the resale value would be.

Last edited by ArieArie; 04-05-2017 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Welcome.

My E39 M5 was my daily driver for almost 13 years before I retired it and bought the M3. Now it's a garage queen and still my favorite car ever. I'm glad to hear you are keeping yours.

In terms of packages, it is quite subjective but after all those years with the M5 I did want to check out some of the new features. I decided on:

ZCP: There is debate about how much of the reported improvements in handling and traction are part of all F80s now, but I figured why not.

Exec Package: Not strictly needed, but I wanted a back-up camera and to try the head's up display. The heating steering wheel is nice.

Lighting package: Definitely not needed, but I think the LED lights look good and was (and still am) considering coding in the Euro adaptive headlight features, so I went for it.

I added top/side view cameras, again because I wanted to check out some new tech. I actually use them for tight parking spaces and to avoid curbs. I also added the rear sunshades as I don't tint my cars.

MT of course.

Have fun!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieArie View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. Can you comment on the ZCP 20" wheels? Since I will use the car everyday, I wonder if those tires could be too low profile to deal with potholes etc.
Also, when would the MY18 be available for ordering and what's an estimate of first deliveries for the MY18..

I should have added in my original post that I intend to keep the car for as long as it drives, so I don't really care what the resale value would be.
MY18 M3s don't start production until July, so if you get a dealer with an available allocation, you're looking at probably late August/early September at best.

As for the 20s, I can't comment, but BMW Fremont has several M3s on the lot with the competition package (if you're near) that you could potentially test out.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
aX3Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

My 2017 M3 came with 6mt, ZCP, Driving Assistance Plus, and Executive Package. For me, 6mt and ZCP were a must and I think the ZCP has some good value for the price.

The Driving Assistance Plus package comes with blind spot detection, lane departure, top and side cameras, etc. Call me old school, but I still use my mirrors and eyes when changing lanes or making sure I don't curb a wheel when parking. It's nice to have since it came with my car, but I could probably do without it if I were building an M3.

I also wouldn't consider the Executive package a must have. Again, it's nice to have and the HUD has some benefits (M View), but it's a pretty expensive package for what's included. If you can't live without high-intensity headlight washers then by all means get it.

If you aren't in a rush, maybe wait a little for the 2018 info to come out. If the new M4 info is any indication of what will come then there may be some new standard features and lower package prices.
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:

I currently have the 18" wheels and have the same concerns about the 20" wheels with potholes. Ultimately, I want the suspension and other tuning upgrades that come with the package so I am willing to take a chance on the wheels, and although I didn't like them at first, they have grown on me. I did test drive a ZCP package car and in the short drive the low profile sidewalls did not seem to make a huge difference in ride quality. If it is a huge concern I believe you can still choose the 19" wheels with the ZCP package.

I agree with another comment that you should wait until the order guide for the MY18 comes out in a few months to decide as things might change slightly.
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Personally I do not think any of the packages are a must have.
That is generally true, as stock F80 M3 is an exceptionally well sorted package.

After a few model year tweaks, BMW NA now includes adaptive suspension and HK stereo into the base pack (I had picked those). MY'18 goes into production in July'17, and will likely include a few additional "freebies" in the more expensive base build (e.g.: rear view camera). MY'17 stopped production in March (unusual gap to July), so you can't order those anymore. so any customer order will be a MY'18 car (you wont find MT cars on dealer lots anyway).

Interior/exterior trim and color options are highly subjective individual preferences, pick whatever makes you happy. Same for the wheels.

ZCP (Comp pack) - if you tracked or modified your old car, and promise not to drive in downtown SF. Otherwise, 20" wheels will be a challenge (hack, my 18" wheels are a challenge in NYC).

Exec Pack - fluff, but I love it for the HUD, heated steering wheel, and heated seats.

Driving Assist Pack - fluff, but it does give you a speed limit info, which could be handy.

Lighting Pack - cosmetic fluff (BMW xenons are that good), and narrower light footprint makes spotting wildlife harder in the boonies.

Carbon Brakes - cosmetic fluff. To be avoided if you track your car.

Now, dust off your old gold chains and rolex, and head to the dealer to smooth talk your way into a ZCP test drive!

a
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
I just joined this community.

I'm early on in the process of buying/ordering a new M3. I ordered my M5 over 17 years ago and things changed a bit since then. The M5 was simple to order. No packages, and few simple options.

I have 185k miles on my current car and I loved every single one of those. As with the M5, the M3 will be my daily driver.

Im not in a rush, the M5 drives fine, but the repairs are getting more often and more expensive.

I was playing with the online M3 configurator and the more I play with it, the more confused I get. I need help from current owners with understanding the value you get from each of the "packages" and options. Which are Must Have and which are a waste of money. I know it is somewhat subjective and individual but your opinion would help.

I'm not referring to cosmetics or colors, but more to drivability, comfort and performance. The only thing I'm sure of is that I will choose a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Arie

EDIT: I should have added in my original posting that I intend to keep the car for as long as it drives, so I don't really care what the resale value would be.

P.S. attached is a gratuitous picture of my '01 M5.
Funniest thing if you park your M3 and M5 next to each other you will find they are almost the same size (M3 is also much wider).

Now moving on from the M5 you will have a similar size car but significantly more capable in a straight line and on the back roads/track.

This is why I view the F80 M3 as the perfect car...

Enjoy your new M3
ArieArie321.50
      04-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
Funniest thing if you park your M3 and M5 next to each other you will find they are almost the same size (M3 is also much wider).

Now moving on from the M5 you will have a similar size car but significantly more capable in a straight line and on the back roads/track.

This is why I view the F80 M3 as the perfect car...

Enjoy your new M3
Yep.

But I still love my M5.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I've always had a soft spot for the E39 M5.

It's the ultimate sleeper.
      04-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #14
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

I would take full leather as it completely transforms the interior and LED because I think they look way better.
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

Base 2018 Model year M3 will come with everything you need (comfort access, decent stereo, satNav, rear camera, carbonstucture/cloth interior, LED headlights, front heated seats). I don't think you'll miss additional options much if you never used them, like HUD and side cameras. Besides, tech features get outdated fast.

The best thing you can do is go to some local meets and check out the various F80/F82 combinations. Also, stop by dealers to test drive some cars.

Since you looking for those items that improve "drivability, comfort and performance":

ZCP (zee comp pack)- better traction, improved steering feel and and all those other pros which are extensively discussed in the forums and also in the recent motortrend M3 vs alfa video. Get it with 20's as you can always swap or sell them and get smaller wheels. So this covers drive-ability and performance

standard carbonstructure/cloth seats- highly recommend them for their daily comfort.

Power rear sunshade - inexpensive yet highly effective option, since it does seem like you don't tint your DD. Keeps your interior cool and comfortable

TL;DR: Get a Stripper M3 with ZCP and rear sunshades. Minimal Options=Weight Reduction BRO!
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
6MT for life
Registered
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

I'm about to do this as well. Although I didn't buy my E39 M5 new, I knew exactly what I wanted when I purchased it 70,000 miles ago, partly becuase there weren't many choices. If your M5 has the extended leather, you may want that again. Your M5 also has PDC, which is still optional on the '17-- you'll need the executive package to get it. The F80 is harder to see out of, so it may be a good idea.

FWIW, I opted for ZCP and nothing else. Keeping the M5 caramel extended leather clean with kids was a pain, and though it was beautiful it's showing its age now despite a respray. Like you and Kevin I'm keeping the M5. Maybe I'll have it reupholstered someday.
Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50
      04-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
First of all, you need to search in another thread for the 2018 M4 Pricing and Ordering Guides (M3 guide not yet available) because it will most likely be the same for the M3 and this is what you'll need to use to make your decisions.

All of the above advice about which packages to get and what they include is completely different for MY 2018, since BMW has completely revised the Executive Package, and it now includes what was previously the Lighting Package and one of the features in the Driving Assistance Plus Package (Top and Side View Cameras). The rest of those features are available separately.

Extended Leather is no longer part of the Executive Package, so if you want leather you'll have to choose between Extended (Partial) Leather or Full Leather (additional leather on the dash and door panels, etc.). I have this and it's totally worth it.

The only packages that are available for MY 2018 are the Competition Package and the Executive Package. There are now more individual options that were part of previous versions of the Executive Package and the Driving Assistance Plus Package, so you can pick the ones that you actually want and not have to buy a package that includes one or more of the things that you want without having to buy things that you don't want.

As others have mentioned, the earliest you'll be able to order a 2018 M3 will be July. My wife and I are considering an 2018 M3 for Euro Delivery next year and we're using the 2018 M4 Pricing and Ordering Guides until the M3 versions are available, probably next month.

Appreciate 1
ArieArie321.50