Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

"Official" Im-taking-ED-delivery 2nd/3rd week Oct thread (*and not using winter tire)

Hi all

I promised to create a thread for those of us in the area that second weekend of Oct (or the following) to see if anyone is going to meet up. I'll post resources I have found in this thread, as we have had discussions in other threads about the changing weather that time of year. I think we are also averaging one Michelin star per day of vacation, with our restaurants.

But first, the easy stuff.. My info/itinerary:

2016 M3 Individual -> Singapore Grey, Interior contrast stitching in red (sakhir orange)
Fully loaded, CCBs, black wheels, etc.

Arriving Sat, Oct 10, hanging out in Munich, eating much meat and consuming beer
Delivery Mon, Oct 12, 10:50am

MONDAY, 13th- after delivery, track taping the front of the car, and heading to Grossglockner alpenstrasse. After that, spending night in Strasserwirt

TUESDAY, 14th- doing the Gardena/Pordoi passes loop in the Italian Dolomites. After this loop, going to take some mountain passes heading towards Davos, where we are staying that night.

WEDNESDAY, 15th- heading to the Furka, Grimsel, Susten pass loop.. doing these passes, then heading back the Schloss Furstenau (3 Michelin stars)

THURSDAY, 16th- heading via mountain passes, via Chamonix, towards Grenoble. During this transit, we might play around with Col de la Colombiere, or Col de Roseland. However, it will depend on traffic and weather. If things really suck in terms of snow/rain, we may just go to Annecy on the way to Grenoble.

FRIDAY, 17th- very "precarious" day. If the weather is warm, ideally, we would drive via alpine passes down to Menton. Plan would be Col du Galibier, Col d'Izoard, Col de Turini. At Menton, eating at Mirazur (rank 11 in world, 3 Michelin stars).

SATURDAY, 18th- destination is St Tropez. Going to drive via the cliff roads "les corniches", through Monaco and Nice. Potentially may go to cliffside town of Eze ? Anyway, gotta get to St Tropez in a reasonable time

SUNDAY, 19th- hang out in St Tropez, relax, don't drive

MONDAY, 20th- drive to Nice for dropoff in the afternoon (1 pm I think?)

A summary image of part of the trip, and the rough routes is attached.

So if I remember right, several of us will be in the Munich area Monday Oct 12. I think there's enough time that day to meet up. Is anyone else driving Grossglockner that day ? (I thought there was one other person)

What about Gardena/Pordoi that Tuesday ?

So far, in terms of weather, I'm pretty sure everyone can check on weather forecasts available on the internet. But I am also compiling a list of Webcams, so you can actually see the road conditions. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding decent ones in the French mountain passes... Here are the ones I have cataloged--
Grossglockner (excellent series of webcams)-
http://www.grossglockner.at/en/servi...f-einen-blick/
http://fuschertoerl.panomax.com/en-GB

Passo pordoi
http://www.webcams.travel/webcam/119...o-Pordoi-Pecol
Passo sella
http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gard...s/live-webcam/

Grimsel, Sussen passes
http://en.swisswebcams.ch/webcam/137...men%29_Weather
http://www.ausfluege.topin.travel/au...d-guttannen-ch
That place is about half way on Grimsel I think.

http://www.grimselwelt.ch/infothek-e...-lake-grimsel/

French Alps (???)

I am still compiling and finalizing the list. Please correct any errors. Also, when I drive the passes, I will post the conditions here so that people taking delivery 3rd/4th week in October have some reference point of what the weather was the prior week.
Attached Images

Last edited by absoluteis350; 09-29-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Nice! I'm waiting for BMW NA to get back with me on approval for my stitching color, and I'll be right behind you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
I'll be over there during that time on Summer tires hoping for good weather as well. We only have one main route that will be dictated by the weather, but I'm hoping we can explore a bit more if the weather stays nice.

October 08: Arriving in Munch
October 09: M3 pickup at 9:20 AM
October 10: Munich > Hallstatt > Munich
October 11: Drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
October 12: Rothenburg > Nurburgring > Rothenburg
October 13: Rothenburg > Neuschwanstein > Rothenburg
October 14: Drive from Rothenburg to Zurich
October 15: Tour Zurich
October 16: Drive from Zurich to Lake Como
* - This is where the weather may have the biggest impact on our driving routes.
October 17: Drive from Lake Como to Nice
October 18: Tour Nice and Monaco.
October 19: Drop off in Nice @ 8:00AM and fly out to Barcelona

I read that the Nice drop off point (TT Car Transit) changed locations at the airport in August. I have an early flight out after dropping off the car, so I reached out to the company to confirm where they are located now. They sent me a document (PDF converted to JPG to attach here) with directions on how to get to their location. It's not the best quality, but I was able to locate the area on the map that it is referencing for the final turn (the white circle at the bottom of the map on the link below).
https://goo.gl/maps/eXLzY

Also, I have not looked in detail for a place to wash the car before drop off in Nice, but I noticed that there is a gas station just down the street at the airport with what appears to be a few bays where you can wash your car.
https://goo.gl/maps/TvmJ2

I know our itinerary is packed and I'm not sure if we'll be able to meet up with anyone, but I'm definitely willing to share anything I learn along the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macheins View Post
I'll be over there during that time on Summer tires hoping for good weather as well. We only have one main route that will be dictated by the weather, but I'm hoping we can explore a bit more if the weather stays nice.

October 08: Arriving in Munch
October 09: M3 pickup at 9:20 AM
October 10: Munich > Hallstatt > Munich
October 11: Drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
October 12: Rothenburg > Nurburgring > Rothenburg
October 13: Rothenburg > Neuschwanstein > Rothenburg
October 14: Drive from Rothenburg to Zurich
October 15: Tour Zurich
October 16: Drive from Zurich to Lake Como
* - This is where the weather may have the biggest impact on our driving routes.
October 17: Drive from Lake Como to Nice
October 18: Tour Nice and Monaco.
October 19: Drop off in Nice @ 8:00AM and fly out to Barcelona
Thanks for that (the car wash place and TT Transit info). Yes, that's the car wash I found too. The plan is to use that one the day after you. They must see a lot of M's coming through there

I found another place that looked really good on the way in to Nice, but its on my laptop so I will post it up later.

We actually will probably pass each other in Nice/Monaco If you see a dark M, definitely chase me down and flash. Would love to at least say 'hi'
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Another update for those of you going about this time and looking for realtime road condition info (not just temperatures):

Check out this website of webcams. Basically just scroll around the map and zoom in, to see webcams of the areas you will be visiting. Looks like it will be pretty helpful in many circumstances! Hope someone else finds it useful.

http://www.webcams.travel/map/#lat=4...345932&z=9&t=n
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Another update for those of you going about this time and looking for realtime road condition info (not just temperatures):

Check out this website of webcams. Basically just scroll around the map and zoom in, to see webcams of the areas you will be visiting. Looks like it will be pretty helpful in many circumstances! Hope someone else finds it useful.

http://www.webcams.travel/map/#lat=4...345932&z=9&t=n
Awesome thanks! You guys are doing a ton of driving... I'm arriving on October 4th and will be there for 7 days and am driving probably 1/4 what you are.... I worked in a lot of time for hiking/spas/eating/shopping/culture/laziness
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

10/19 pickup here. No winter tires planned. I'm more concerned about the Austrian border situation!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
10/19 pickup here. No winter tires planned. I'm more concerned about the Austrian border situation!
If you are only going out of Germany, it should not be a problem. If you are coming back into Germany, then you could considering coming back in from Switzerland. And finally, if you plan on staying within east Austria and then returning back into Germany, I **highly** recommend using an alpine pass or side road.. The highways are where the major delays are. For example, the border crossing at Mittenwald (just north of Innsbruck) appears unaffected or does not show any significant delays. Same thing with Achenwald (a little closer to the major crossing at Kufstein).

That's what I would do if I was returning to Germany from Austria.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
There is no 'situation' on the Austrian border. Actually, there is no border per se, just an easy to miss cabin (similar to truck weight-in stations in the US) where one could pull over to buy Austiran vignettes.

Unless things have gotten weird lately with the refugee crisis in Europe...

a
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
There is no 'situation' on the Austrian border. Actually, there is no border per se, just an easy to miss cabin (similar to truck weight-in stations in the US) where one could pull over to buy Austiran vignettes.

Unless things have gotten weird lately with the refugee crisis in Europe...

a
^^^Uh this!

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1172806
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
^^^Uh this!
Oh wow!

More on border controls re-imposed between German and Austria here:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1172806

If it's THAT bad (multiple hours wait to cross the border) and I was doing my ED this fall, I would avoid Austria and head West (France) or North-West (Belgium, Netherlands) instead.

a
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Might just stay in Germany, bummer. I'm not getting snow tires either. Pickup Oct 15
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #13
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Real Men (or Stupid Men, take your pick) dont do Winter Tyres! Lets do this!

Yea, Im one too, no Winters for me! ED Oct 10!

Pffffft!
f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
yungster
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

I've scheduled ED pickup week of Thanksgiving (11/23). Am I crazy for not getting winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungster View Post
I've scheduled ED pickup week of Thanksgiving (11/23). Am I crazy for not getting winter tires?
Depends on your ambitions I'm certain there will be snow on the passes at that time, but if its dry for a couple days, it might(?) clear.. Just take it easy.

On a separate note, I have been pouring over weather data to see what my options are in case things get snowy in some parts.. It looks like even tho the elevations are higher, the southern french alps look to be about 5-10F warmer.. Col de la Bonette looks pretty appetizing.. just make sure you google street view the approach since most of the "routes" I have seen described are not what the pictures/videos are from.. Take the approach from the French, northern side, not via Italy.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
yungster
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Depends on your ambitions I'm certain there will be snow on the passes at that time, but if its dry for a couple days, it might(?) clear.. Just take it easy.

On a separate note, I have been pouring over weather data to see what my options are in case things get snowy in some parts.. It looks like even tho the elevations are higher, the southern french alps look to be about 5-10F warmer.. Col de la Bonette looks pretty appetizing.. just make sure you google street view the approach since most of the "routes" I have seen described are not what the pictures/videos are from.. Take the approach from the French, northern side, not via Italy.
Well, I'm not headed for the Alps so hopefully will be ok . Visiting wife's relatives in Hamburg and Stuttgart so doing a loop around Germany
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Just an update for those that care. Snow has already fallen on the grossglockner but with daytime temps of 5C, it tends to melt off during the day. I'm watching the live webcams throughout the day. Surprisingly, the Dolomites and Sella pass have also had a snowfall, but the time lapse webcams show that it happens overnight then melts during the day, with green grass by the afternoon.

The French alps, surprisingly, are like 60F during the day. So Col de la Bonette here I come!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #18
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Just an update for those that care. Snow has already fallen on the grossglockner but with daytime temps of 5C, it tends to melt off during the day. I'm watching the live webcams throughout the day. Surprisingly, the Dolomites and Sella pass have also had a snowfall, but the time lapse webcams show that it happens overnight then melts during the day, with green grass by the afternoon.

The French alps, surprisingly, are like 60F during the day. So Col de la Bonette here I come!!!
Link to webcams please?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #19
Macheins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Marina Bay M3 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Link to webcams please?
Check out the original post. The links there have a few of the passes.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Swiss area between Furka and Grimsel.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #20
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macheins View Post
Check out the original post. The links there have a few of the passes.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Swiss area between Furka and Grimsel.
I added another Grimsel pass camera I have been watching.

Good luck all !

-edit- Awesome! Just found out that BMW "comp'd" me the black kidney grills since they would look better on my individual build ! Car will look so much better at pickup now! (originally they didn't want to add them since it is ED and they claimed that its an accessory and can't be installed at port)

Last edited by absoluteis350; 09-30-2015 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I added another Grimsel pass camera I have been watching.

Good luck all !

-edit- Awesome! Just found out that BMW "comp'd" me the black kidney grills since they would look better on my individual build ! Car will look so much better at pickup now! (originally they didn't want to add them since it is ED and they claimed that its an accessory and can't be installed at port)
Ok, not fair! I was told that there was NO WAY that could happen. But my dealer sucks, so I am not surprised!

I think we'll be in Salzburg on the 17th. Let me know if you're going to be anyplace close. Your earlier itinerary had you a little further south.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
I think we'll be in Salzburg on the 17th. Let me know if you're going to be anyplace close. Your earlier itinerary had you a little further south.

I'm heading to Salzburg either the 19th or 20th at the latest. Now I'm starting to get a bit nervous about winter weather in the passes
Appreciate 0