Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #111
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfl View Post
I have used ECUTek on both my GT-Rs before. If someone can quote the ECUTek and all the hardware needed for FlexFuel (excluding downpipes, I do not want to delete cats), that would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
+1
Contact ian@bendcalibration.com for quotes. Or if you have another preferred tuner, hit them up. You should order from the same place that will be tuning your car.
      08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #112
calubi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Very interesting. I've been wanting to go BM3, but this is a very tempting option. Being new to the BMW world, I'm still learning the ins and outs of the various tuning options.

Sounds like this gives you unique options, like flex fuel and quick map switching, but does not offer some things that BM3 does, like DCT flashing and user adjustable tunes. Fair?

Is remote tuning advised for Ecutek+S55? I searched for local dealers on their site, but did not find much. Is it common to buy the hardware through a dealer, and have them remotely tune your car? Or does Ecutek recommend/require local access?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #113
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobsta1109 View Post
Any feedback on the tune with ECUTek from Visconti? I'm keen on getting impressions from users who were early adopters.

I am an early adopter for sure. I've been running Visconti tunes on my 2017 ZCP 6 speed since the end of April. I had specific objectives of reduced burble duration and no increase in off idle throttle sensitivity in sport plus (even stock can be touchy). NGK 95706 plugs were installed and gapped to .018" per Visconti's instruction. We worked through a few revisions (log stock, boost up, final touches based on logs and feedback) before I was completely happy with the outcome. The car drives like stock if I want it to. The boost comes on harder and pulls much stronger to redline.

I log everything and check for issues. I have self-tuned other cars in the past, so I can't help wanting to check the tuner's work and how my car responds. The car is running well on 91 without knock or timing getting pulled. The car is deceptively fast. Every gear has plenty of torque, so you never feel the need to downshift. Full throttle pulls for logging saw 140+ mph multiple times. I've driven in fair spring weather and summertime days with over 100F temperatures and high humidity. The car doesn't skip a beat.

I'm now working through flashing CS spec differential, steering, EDC and DSC. First and second gear overpower what ZCP MDM can handle. MDM off is required to get full power. I'll post a DIY guide on how to VO code these once I'm done.

I chose Visconti because of his reputation as an Ecutek tuner in the FRS/86/BRZ and GT-R worlds. I planned to go flex fuel the entire time, and they make kits for the cars they tune. John has been great to work with, accommodates my crazy travel schedule (11pm Saturday session; no problem), and has been available for call or text any time I have a question.

I'll be upgrading to RaceRom and flex fuel once Visconti has their flex fuel kit ready. The car should be a monster with E85, and the ECU connect app appears to add some of the user definable parameters BM3 users enjoy like adjustable burbles. Difference being that RaceRom will let you adjust the parameters live with no reflash. I'll put in an updated report once I upgrade and get some seat time.
Appreciate 3
      09-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #114
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobsta1109 View Post
Any feedback on the tune with ECUTek from Visconti? I'm keen on getting impressions from users who were early adopters.

I am an early adopter for sure. I've been running Visconti tunes on my 2017 ZCP 6 speed since the end of April. I had specific objectives of reduced burble duration and no increase in off idle throttle sensitivity in sport plus (even stock can be touchy). NGK 95706 plugs were installed and gapped to .018" per Visconti's instruction. We worked through a few revisions (log stock, boost up, final touches based on logs and feedback) before I was completely happy with the outcome. The car drives like stock if I want it to. The boost comes on harder and pulls much stronger to redline.

I log everything and check for issues. I have self-tuned other cars in the past, so I can't help wanting to check the tuner's work and how my car responds. The car is running well on 91 without knock or timing getting pulled. The car is deceptively fast. Every gear has plenty of torque, so you never feel the need to downshift. Full throttle pulls for logging saw 140+ mph multiple times. I've driven in fair spring weather and summertime days with over 100F temperatures and high humidity. The car doesn't skip a beat.

I'm now working through flashing CS spec differential, steering, EDC and DSC. First and second gear overpower what ZCP MDM can handle. MDM off is required to get full power. I'll post a DIY guide on how to VO code these once I'm done.

I chose Visconti because of his reputation as an Ecutek tuner in the FRS/86/BRZ and GT-R worlds. I planned to go flex fuel the entire time, and they make kits for the cars they tune. John has been great to work with, accommodates my crazy travel schedule (11pm Saturday session; no problem), and has been available for call or text any time I have a question.

I'll be upgrading to RaceRom and flex fuel once Visconti has their flex fuel kit ready. The car should be a monster with E85, and the ECU connect app appears to add some of the user definable parameters BM3 users enjoy like adjustable burbles. Difference being that RaceRom will let you adjust the parameters live with no reflash. I'll put in an updated report once I upgrade and get some seat time.
Any updates from anyone running true FlexFuel on S55 regardless of ECUTEK or another tuning platform?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #115
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Any updates from anyone running true FlexFuel on S55 regardless of ECUTEK or another tuning platform?
Unfortunately I've been away from my car for the past month but it currently has the flex sensor, upgraded fuel lines and Zeitronix CANBUS harness tied into the car. Hopefully I'll be able to test soon and will update when that happens.
      09-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #116
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Unfortunately I've been away from my car for the past month but it currently has the flex sensor, upgraded fuel lines and Zeitronix CANBUS harness tied into the car. Hopefully I'll be able to test soon and will update when that happens.
In for the updates. Is everything else stock on the car besides fbo?
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #117
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
Only bolt-ons are VRSF Downpipes, AA midpipe and upgraded PTFE Stainless braided fuel line with flex sensor.

Also fyi if anyone is looking for a fuel line/flex sensor/Zeitronix Canbus package please contact Bend Calibration.
      09-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #118
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
Only bolt-ons are VRSF Downpipes, AA midpipe and upgraded PTFE Stainless braided fuel line with flex sensor.

Also fyi if anyone is looking for a fuel line/flex sensor/Zeitronix Canbus package please contact Bend Calibration.
Any reason one couldn't use the Fuel It system (continental sense) with inline sensor and 0-5v raw output?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #119
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Any reason one couldn't use the Fuel It system (continental sense) with inline sensor and 0-5v raw output?
You could but it's a $500 package for their proprietary bluetooth sensor and fuel line. If you already have their kit however then all you need is the Zeitronix ECA2 Canbus device which has an MSRP of $219. (This is required to communicate with the DME over Canbus)

Secondly the -6AN stainless braided fuel line in the Bend Calibration kit is a much better fuel line than the one Fuel-It includes in their kit. I'm not sure what Bend Calibration will sell their solution for but I'd be surprised if the sensor/fuel line is half of what Fuel-It over-charges. I also believe Bend Calibration will have a couple options if you want to replace the full line from tank to rail or just the small fuel hose closest to the fuel rail. Either way the customer now has options.
      09-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #120
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You could but it's a $500 package for their proprietary bluetooth sensor and fuel line. If you already have their kit however then all you need is the Zeitronix ECA2 Canbus device which has an MSRP of $219. (This is required to communicate with the DME over Canbus)

Secondly the -6AN stainless braided fuel line in the Bend Calibration kit is a much better fuel line than the one Fuel-It includes in their kit. I'm not sure what Bend Calibration will sell their solution for but I'd be surprised if the sensor/fuel line is half of what Fuel-It over-charges. I also believe Bend Calibration will have a couple options if you want to replace the full line from tank to rail or just the small fuel hose closest to the fuel rail. Either way the customer now has options.
Thanks. I asked because I already installed the Fuel it system (complete from tank to HPFPs, but opted for the sensor with the "extra" raw output in addition to the Bluetooth functionality.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #121
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I thought ecutek was providing the flex hardware, that's how I read the release
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #122
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
I thought ecutek was providing the flex hardware, that's how I read the release
Negative
      09-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #123
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

Quote:
Part of the RaceRom release is custom map support. If the built in flex fuel strategy doesn't include custom sensor scaling, your sensor could be calibrated via a custom map. You set one axis 0-5v and then map the other axis to E%. This is setup as a calculated value output that is referred to by other custom maps that calculate cranking fuel, fuel during normal operating, and timing changes based on E%. This knowledge is from using BRZ RaceRom which was open to the end user if additional licenses were purchased. BMW is closed to the end user and only pros who buy the tuning suite can comment authoritatively. That is the way it was done in older RaceRom releases on other platforms. Flex fuel as a pre-configured feature wasn't included until v9(?) RaceRom release if I recall.

From what I can tell in the RaceRom release notes for BMW, they are using a CAN bus to add sensors rather than replacing an existing 0-5v signal. So, that means it would require a 0-5v > CAN bus conversion device to use the sensor you have now. See https://mailchi.mp/ecutek/bmw-racero...Qc0hbRo#CANbus. Any CAN bus sensor can be imported for use with custom maps.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #124
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
Part of the RaceRom release is custom map support. If the built in flex fuel strategy doesn't include custom sensor scaling, your sensor could be calibrated via a custom map. You set one axis 0-5v and then map the other axis to E%. This is setup as a calculated value output that is referred to by other custom maps that calculate cranking fuel, fuel during normal operating, and timing changes based on E%. This knowledge is from using BRZ RaceRom which was open to the end user if additional licenses were purchased. BMW is closed to the end user and only pros who buy the tuning suite can comment authoritatively. That is the way it was done in older RaceRom releases on other platforms. Flex fuel as a pre-configured feature wasn't included until v9(?) RaceRom release if I recall.

From what I can tell in the RaceRom release notes for BMW, they are using a CAN bus to add sensors rather than replacing an existing 0-5v signal. So, that means it would require a 0-5v > CAN bus conversion device to use the sensor you have now. See https://mailchi.mp/ecutek/bmw-racero...Qc0hbRo#CANbus. Any CAN bus sensor can be imported for use with custom maps.
Fyi not being a dick but if you look above I've answered this question already.

His sensor will work fine, all he needs is the Zeitronix ECA2 Canbus device.
blockdoc373.00
      09-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #125
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

How much will it cost to set up flex fuel kit on the car ?
Appreciate 2
chen0.00
      09-05-2019, 01:26 AM   #126
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyF80 View Post
How much will it cost to set up flex fuel kit on the car ?
Probably 400-550 for sensor/line/Zeitronix package plus install.
      09-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #127
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks folks!!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #128
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

So do we have a solid tune for ECUTek that has been tested out on more than 1-2 cars? I'm interested in doing this on my CS but wanted to see if ECUTek has done a few F8Xs before I jump in.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #129
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
So do we have a solid tune for ECUTek that has been tested out on more than 1-2 cars? I'm interested in doing this on my CS but wanted to see if ECUTek has done a few F8Xs before I jump in.
You need to remember that ecutek is a tuning tool supplied by them with no maps. So when u say is there more F8X's in the wild this needs to be narrowed down to the tool and the tuner. You may not get the same experience from one tuner to another. Unlike the competition who supplies ots tunes + the ability to engage a tuner of choice to custom the base ots.
      09-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #130
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ecutek makes the product; the tuner is the one who provides the tune using the Ecutek software. No OTS tunes with Ecutek.

Hit up Bend Calibration if you're interested. He's been great with the tuning on my car.
      09-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #131
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
You need to remember that ecutek is a tuning tool supplied by them with no maps. So when u say is there more F8X's in the wild this needs to be narrowed down to the tool and the tuner. You may not get the same experience from one tuner to another. Unlike the competition who supplies ots tunes + the ability to engage a tuner of choice to custom the base ots.
Didn't see this before I posted but this is exactly correct.
      09-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #132
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep

Little update; I must be one of the first to fully integrate the flex sensor into the car as the original patch from Ecutek had the ethanol content reading about half the actual E% value. Needless to say I noticed this right away and contacted my tuner. My tuner then received a new updated patch from Ecutek within a day. I will say I'm very impressed with Ecutek's quick response and resolution. My ethanol sensor is now reading perfect around 37% at the moment which I verified with a multimeter previously.

I also have some new plugs on order and hopefully will be here soon: NGK SILZKBR8F8S (BMW PN#12120042724 - N20 Flex Fuel Spark Plug) I plan to gap them around .020

Also here is a quick pic of the flex sensor and upgraded Stainless Braided PTFE fuel line installed. This communicates to the Zeitronix ECA2 Can Bus device which taps into the BMW CAN to send the flex content to the DME for on the fly calculations which is only possible through ECUTEK RaceRom software.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 09-12-2019 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 3