Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
isai95
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m4, lexus is250

Drivetrain malfunction error

Hello everyone!

So i recently installed downpipes on my 2016 m4, i followed the proper steps to install them. The car was already on a stage 1 tune from bootmod3 with no issues. After the downpipes got installed i turned it on to make sure everything was correctly installed. I noticed on the iDrive screen it said drivetrain malfunction which i knew it didn't have have before. i tought the car was freaking out because it didn't have the stage 2 tune ,so i uploaded the stage 2 tune on the car and turned it on but it still had the same error. So i pulled the error codes on the car and it was misfiring. So i did more research and people said with a spark plug change it should go away. So i proceeded to do the spark plugs. It went smoothly and after i finished i turned on the car pulled the codes to see if it was still misfiring and turns out that solved the problem but the car still has the Drivetrain malfunction on idrive. I called the dealer to see if they can help with the issue but they are charging me 180 for a diagnostic test which i really don't want to pay for a simple test and its knowing the dealer they probably not going to solve the issue either way. I later pulled the codes on the car again and noticed 2 new error codes that were not listed before. I looked all over for the codes but no one seems to have a direct answer for it. If anyone knows what they are and knows how to fix it please help i would greatly appreciate it!

Error codes read by bootmod3:

-123424 no description found
-120408 charge pressure control, shutdown: pressure build-locked
Attached Images

Last edited by isai95; 05-04-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The 123424 seems to be related to wastegate position.
The 120408 might be charge pressure switch-off control, maybe after an over pressure situation.

You mentioned installing downpipes yourself... that job requires a bunch of stuff be removed to get clearance to the v-bands.
- Did you knock off a wastegate wire or mess up a the actuator clip while trying to get a v-band on or tightened (I almost did)?
- Did you leave any rags in your tubes or inlets? I always stuff them during work so nothing falls in.
- Forget to move o-rings into the new chargepipes?
- MAP sensor plugged back in?
- Any chance the O2 sensors or connections got twisted, kinked, switched, or mis-plugged? I didn't see any 180001/180101 codes.

Just figuring,

-TJ