Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
6spdTanzM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

ZCP Exhaust Valve Electronic Motor?

Hey guys,

I was hoping you can help me out. I have a non-ZCP and ran across a local ZCP exhaust for sale, but it's missing two black exhaust value electronic motors/servos (see picture).

A couple questions -

1) I read somewhere that the module on the ZCP actually acts different (software maybe) than the non-ZCP, so that I may not get all the ZCP benefits/effects/differences if I install my non-ZCP modules on there.

2) Does anyone know the part number or cost to add these? I sort of didn't want to take them off my non-ZCP, so that the exhaust can be left whole.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

The actuators are part number 18-30-7-851-568 and the protector is 18-30-7-853-851. As far as I know it is the same for all F8x models. When they open/close and for how long is just software.

Actuator + protector is about $150.

Last edited by G4BR13L; 03-08-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmr2t View Post
1) I read somewhere that the module on the ZCP actually acts different (software maybe) than the non-ZCP, so that I may not get all the ZCP benefits/effects/differences if I install my non-ZCP modules on there.
The valve motors aren't determining the open/close logic as far as I know. The car is sending the signals to the valve motors. Base and Comp Pack have different behavior with respect to when the valves open and close, but the motors are opening and closing when the car tells them to. So moving over the motors would give you the same behavior as you have now.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be some serious over-engineering/development if they built that logic into the valve motor - wouldn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
The valve motors aren't determining the open/close logic as far as I know. The car is sending the signals to the valve motors. Base and Comp Pack have different behavior with respect to when the valves open and close, but the motors are opening and closing when the car tells them to. So moving over the motors would give you the same behavior as you have now.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be some serious over-engineering/development if they built that logic into the valve motor - wouldn't make sense to me.
As I mentioned it is the same hardware but different logic in the software. It can be adjusted with for example BM3. I have the Macht Schnell EVC module which I installed when I got my F82 in November 2015. I keep the valves constantly open except when leaving at 6 AM to not disturb my neighbours, if that’s even possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
6spdTanzM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Tanzanite Blue 6spd

Great info guys thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking when I decided not to go with it - that to keep the non-zcp exhaust fully intact, it would cost about $250-300 just for these actuators and protectors in addition to the exhaust, and he wouldn't come down on price.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

More info about the working of the actuators for those interested:

The exhaust flap can be opened by a pulse-width modulated (PWM) signal of 10% and closed with a signal of 90% . The end positions are the mechanical limit positions of the exhaust flap. Intermediate settings are not intended. The exhaust flap can be moved to the service position for installation by a PWM signal of 50%. To guarantee the desired position, in the case of extended non-operation of the electrical exhaust flap actuator, every 320 s (+/-10%) a current is applied, which works in the direction of the limit position (duration of current feed: 50 ms +/- 5 ms).

Functional input variables for the calculation of the exhaust flap setting are:
• Vehicle speed
• Accelerator pedal angle
• Engine temperature
• Transmission version
• Gear mode

There is always a flow through the two tailpipe pairs by the bypass pipe (1+2) regardless of the flap position. Therefore, no varying blackening of the two tailpipe pairs occurs, which is typical of vehicles with exhaust flaps. Furthermore, the exhaust flaps are not visible at the tailpipes.

Name:  A2148256-903F-4E3A-9616-FA9381524F52.jpeg
Views: 1544
Size:  56.6 KB

Together with the Active Sound Design (ASD) and the electrical exhaust flaps, an optimal sound setting can be generated in every operating condition of the S55 engine, in the new M3/M4 Coupé. This results in a dominant, recognizable sound typical of BMW M vehicles. The character of the sound can vary depending on what mode the driver selects via the engine dynamics button. The three modes of the engine dynamics are Normal, Sport, and Sport+.

Source: Technical Training - S55 Engine
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
Skhan109
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

New. Need help

Hi guys sorry this is my first time using the site and don't really know how to post . I have a muffler delete and wanted to did electronic exhaust cut off valves . The drone is to much so I wanted to add these features to enjoy it once in a while. Just don't know where to add it to the exhaust . I have an e92 m3 secondary cat out . Thanks a million for your help !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhan109 View Post
Hi guys sorry this is my first time using the site and don't really know how to post . I have a muffler delete and wanted to did electronic exhaust cut off valves . The drone is to much so I wanted to add these features to enjoy it once in a while. Just don't know where to add it to the exhaust . I have an e92 m3 secondary cat out . Thanks a million for your help !
That’s going to sound like complete garbage. This car has zero tone without any sort of muffler, it’s just noise.