BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

12-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #23
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
This has been extensively covered in other forums. Yes, it's not ideal, but has been used as an oe solution by countless manufacturers, including bmw. If having the buckle inside the bolster is your concern then you should cross bucket seats off your list of modifications.
I ended up with the same compromise. No way I could have routed the receptacle through the Profi XL gap.

6 pt fits like a charm though. I'll take my chances with a 6 pt + HANS on track over an imperfect 3 pt to and from the gas station.

Interesting point on the GTS factory seats probably not being suitable for >6' with a 6 pt.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      12-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #24
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Quote:
This has been extensively covered in other forums. Yes, it's not ideal, but has been used as an oe solution by countless manufacturers, including bmw. If having the buckle inside the bolster is your concern then you should cross bucket seats off your list of modifications.
I ended up with the same compromise. No way I could have routed the receptacle through the Profi XL gap.

6 pt fits like a charm though. I'll take my chances with a 6 pt + HANS on track over an imperfect 3 pt to and from the gas station.

Interesting point on the GTS factory seats probably not being suitable for >6' with a 6 pt.
I'm in the same boat. You're gonna have to make compromises somewhere. I'm locked in right with a six point belt. Fingers crossed street driving nothing major happens but I know what risk I'm taking when I start swapping things out.

There's no way a pp worked for me. Which is a shame because I still think it's the most comfortable seat recaro makes. I had one in an e36 and daily drive it with zero issues. The new recaro whatever they call it they just debuted may solve every problem. It's been designed for road legality and track use.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:

Damn I’m barely 6’
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Cobra also builds a nice seat that allows proper 3 point access

I have Sparco Ergos with removable halos on both track cars. I'll take a halo before good 3 point access. Ideally I'd have both...
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      12-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #27
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Quote:

Damn I’m barely 6’
I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone. We're all just enthusiasts trying to make our cars perfect in our own individual ways. Sorry if it came across like an attack, it was not! I'm merely speaking from my own experience and those of people who have had the same issues as myself regarding pole positions and belt heights.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #28
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say anything about anyone. We're all just enthusiasts trying to make our cars perfect in our own individual ways. Sorry if it came across like an attack, it was not! I'm merely speaking from my own experience and those of people who have had the same issues as myself regarding pole positions and belt heights.
No I get you. I do have shorter friends so it’s good to know. We’re all trying to bounce ideas off eachother. At least on this thread
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #29
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
Quote:
No I get you. I do have shorter friends so it’s good to know. We’re all trying to bounce ideas off eachother. At least on this thread
Cool cool. It's hard to get inflection in a written message and reading it back I sounded a bit aggressive there! My bad, team GTS!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #30
winjury
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 n55/ 2012 e70 n63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Finally managed to get a morning of lapping in after ~4 months of ownership, and completely confirmed I made the right decision going with the GTS instead of a M2C. The GTS is an absolute riot on the track.

A few observations:
  • Bring Gas: averaged 6.2MPG, fuel starved after ~57 miles. This was intentional due to the alignment concerns.
  • Get Camber Plates: my front alignment was flawed, -1.4* due to the strut brace limiting the camber plate movement, going back with the explicit instructions to remove the brace during alignment. My home track eats left front tires, and even overbraking by 10-15mph in the high-speed right corners I definitely started chewing up the LF shoulder in ~60 minutes.
  • Bring Water: the water injection tank level alert started chiming before I ran out of gas. Super annoying/distracting when the car chimes at you every corner for your last 2 laps.
  • Turn off DSC: MDM was useful for the first session or two to familiarize myself with the car's behavior and to sort out tire pressures, but I dropped from 2:08.xx to 2:03.xx simply turning off DSC. Max positive toe(~0.13*) helped keep the throttle oversteer in check, but you could happily drift this thing around every corner if you wanted.
  • CCBs pedal feel leaves something to be desired: felt very unpredictable, but that might be a seat-time thing. They sure do stop quick, and zero fade issues. Front tires overheated/spiked in pressure before the brakes.
  • Get harnesses: I hate that USDM GTS' didn't get the European seats. I'm confident I'll drop ~2-3 seconds with a harness. Trail braking is a nightmare sliding in the seat, and several corners I'd struggle mid-corner to start throttling-out because of the lateral Gs.
  • Sport+ throttle is perfect: It is borderline unusable on the street, but it is absolutely perfect for medium/high speed tracks. I was in 3rd -> 5th gear, and the throttle sensitivity was perfect for trying to throttle steer the car a bit towards the end.

On the street the GTS feels kind of like a muscle car, because you can't safely exercise its capabilities in the corners. On the track it is still a bit like a missile trying to straighten out corners to bury the throttle, but it is definitely capable of holding its own with momentum lines through corners. Related, there was a guy flogging an E39 M5, it was awesome watching him sling that boat through the corners and try to put his power down.

My car is now in storage until January due to my home track being closed for winter break. I'll update my post about camber settings once I get out to the track again with a correct alignment + pyrometer + have more than 1 tank of gas.

Obligatory track-day photo. This was after the first session, pulled the front splitter out for sessions 2 and 3.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1574108927
I mean that's the reason why you get any M. You can make a 335 faster but not handle better so keep that car on the track.
      01-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #31
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Looks like HPR? Have you broke 2 mins yet?
      01-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #32
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Great track write up!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #33
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
It is HPR, and the car has been in storage since the day after that outing. I have a backlog of heavy maintenance against my STI and my e82, once that is wrapped up then I'm plunking my bucket seats in the GTS and heading out to HPR again. Seats + harnesses alone will get me really close to 2:00, if not under it. Fresh rubber will also help a lot I suspect, my tires have 2016 date codes
Appreciate 1
DRLane3968.00
      01-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #34
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would love to have seen a video of the E 39 andfive tearing it up on the track.
Thanks for your comments and review about your car, sounds like fun.
      01-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #35
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
It is HPR, and the car has been in storage since the day after that outing. I have a backlog of heavy maintenance against my STI and my e82, once that is wrapped up then I'm plunking my bucket seats in the GTS and heading out to HPR again. Seats + harnesses alone will get me really close to 2:00, if not under it. Fresh rubber will also help a lot I suspect, my tires have 2016 date codes
Awesome man! hopefully I'll see ya out there sometime as I'm also hoping to break 2 this year, just figured the GTS would easily post low 1:50s.
      01-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #36
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Did you experiment with the damper adjustments? Every review I've read says the GTS is overly stiff over bumps, but I heard a few clicks softer on the high speed compression would make it more stable
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:05 AM   #37
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

What it was meant to do!

Glad that you are doing with the car what the engineers intended it to do in the first place. Enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #38
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

I recognize that track! Great to see the GTS out romping around at HPR.

You should be able to break the 2:00 mark easily with more tweaks. Fastest so far in the M2C is 2:03.5, albeit with a very talented driver behind the wheel (not me!).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #39
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
Did you experiment with the damper adjustments? Every review I've read says the GTS is overly stiff over bumps, but I heard a few clicks softer on the high speed compression would make it more stable
Not yet, I had ~4 laps at pace with DSC off before I fuel starved. I spent too much time familiarizing myself with the car + trying to make MDM work. Hopefully the next outing I'll have 50+ laps at pace, and plenty of time to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
I recognize that track! Great to see the GTS out romping around at HPR.

You should be able to break the 2:00 mark easily with more tweaks. Fastest so far in the M2C is 2:03.5, albeit with a very talented driver behind the wheel (not me!).
Yeah, 2:00 should be cake, I think 1:55 or so will be the lower limit. I love HPR, just wish it had slightly better facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
I would love to have seen a video of the E 39 andfive tearing it up on the track.
Thanks for your comments and review about your car, sounds like fun.
Yeah, I had a friend with me and we were both chuckling at watching the M5 slide around the track. It was a pretty great example of car handling. Moving forward I'll have a GoPro mounted to the cage to catch stuff like that.
Appreciate 1
COChris887.50
      01-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

You need these
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      01-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #41
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I thought I would share what I learned about the carbon ceramic brakes at the Advanced M School. I spoke with instructors and the tech at the Performance Driving School at Thermal. They said their rotors last about 7-8,000 track miles. In daily driving miles it doesn't sound like much but for dedicated track cars with a mix of students I was fairly impressed. Especially after hearing some stories about Porsche carbon ceramics from the GT3 guys. They order all M4/3 with CC because they hold up better to track use that the standard brakes. That is why the M2 is limited to the smaller track near the school or short low speed drills on the larger tracks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #42
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Brakes acquired

Whelp, rebuilding my STI took longer than expected(engine goes in next week) and COVID-19 shut down my local tracks, so I haven't pulled the car out of storage. I did however pickup a decently priced set of used AP Racing calipers, so that'll address my concerns on the operating costs of the CCBs. It'll also enable running 18" wheels.

I spoke with Apex, I'll be trying to fit their EC-7 in 18x11 ET44 on all four corners. The goal is to buy 8 wheels, wrap 4 in NT01, wrap 4 in RE-71R, and keep a rolling review of them for a few weekends. My favorite local track abuses the heck out of the left front, so I'm hoping by running a square setup I'll be able to maximize tire longevity.

Lastly I need to order some rear toe links, and some extended wheel studs. I suspect going with the square contact patch is going to cause me to want a little more rear positive toe to balance out oversteer until I get more accustomed to the platform.

Last bit will be installing my harnesses and seats. Need to do some research to see what options there are, I'm guessing I'll go with a weld-in sub strap and some brackets with sliders. I'll likely get a session or two in before I accomplish this, it's been a long winter and the sport cup 2s need to get burnt up.

Definitely not unwrapping presents in the living room while the wife and newborn sleep upstairs

Name:  APBrakes.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  415.2 KB
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      06-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #43
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally found a used set of 18x10/18x11 EC-7, should arrive tomorrow. I'm really hoping the 18x11 fits up front with a 25mm spacer, we'll find out.

Since the wheels/tires are arriving, I figured it's time to wrench on this car again.

Alignment at SCR last Friday. I've had a pretty great relationship with this shop over the years, they've done my race cars and my canyon cars.

Name:  IMG_20200612_142033.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  347.2 KB

Dyno on Saturday at PFI Speed for NASA TT classification. Turns out water injection isn't working so.. it made ~447whp

Name:  IMG_20200613_120251.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  354.0 KB

IAG Stage 4 heads arrived for the Subaru. The CNC work is amazing. Will assemble the longblock once the GTS is trackable.

Name:  IMG_20200611_222437.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  340.8 KB

Got the right front hung and the baby called it quits. They're used but I figure the rings should last long enough for me to decide if I enjoy tracking this car, and if not I revert it to CCBs and take a minimal hit on reselling the kit.

Name:  IMG_20200614_174900.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  214.1 KB

The goal is to finish up the brake swap tonight. Bleed the calipers tomorrow and then stand on the pedal in the garage to confirm no leaks. BMW appointment on Tuesday to figure out the water injection system, and then half a lapping day on Friday to confirm everything is working. NASA has a race weekend 26th-27th, not sure if my wife will go for me being away Friday-Sunday, but maybe I can get 1 day out there.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      06-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #44
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Finally found a used set of 18x10/18x11 EC-7, should arrive tomorrow. I'm really hoping the 18x11 fits up front with a 25mm spacer, we'll find out.

Since the wheels/tires are arriving, I figured it's time to wrench on this car again.

Alignment at SCR last Friday. I've had a pretty great relationship with this shop over the years, they've done my race cars and my canyon cars.

Attachment 2338761

Dyno on Saturday at PFI Speed for NASA TT classification. Turns out water injection isn't working so.. it made ~447whp

Attachment 2338760

IAG Stage 4 heads arrived for the Subaru. The CNC work is amazing. Will assemble the longblock once the GTS is trackable.

Attachment 2338757

Got the right front hung and the baby called it quits. They're used but I figure the rings should last long enough for me to decide if I enjoy tracking this car, and if not I revert it to CCBs and take a minimal hit on reselling the kit.

Attachment 2338758

The goal is to finish up the brake swap tonight. Bleed the calipers tomorrow and then stand on the pedal in the garage to confirm no leaks. BMW appointment on Tuesday to figure out the water injection system, and then half a lapping day on Friday to confirm everything is working. NASA has a race weekend 26th-27th, not sure if my wife will go for me being away Friday-Sunday, but maybe I can get 1 day out there.
I'm not sure whah the effective offset will be with the 25mm spacer on the 18 by 11 up front but I just pull the rears off my e92 ( 18 by 11 et24 with a 295/30/18 A052 and it fit with almost no issues. The offset is a little too aggressive but I'm pretty sure I could still make it function really well if I wanted to. The car is way too low right now, I just smashed the new suspension on and figured what the heck, give it a go. But if you played around with the offset by swapping spacers an 18 by 11 square set up with a 295/30 is a no brainer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Gomeler500.00
fanatic11018.50