European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3: Flex Fuel Tuning Integration

In the previous two videos we demonstrated bootmod3's new custom code features integrated into the factory DME (ECU), namely on-the-fly map switching and rolling antilag, both of which are using steering wheel controls for triggers allowing users to flash the car once and then select between any 4 maps that can be custom tuned to suit your modifications, octane and racing needs and to spool the turbo without using brake boosting and slightshot your way forward when racing Here are the links to those two other articles:

Map Switching:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1768838

Rolling Antilag:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1770711

In this video we're demonstrating another new tuning feature that is in the works by the bootmod3 dev team called FLEX FUEL. bootmod3 Flex Fuel integration is a set of custom tables predefined to tune your vehicle for dynamic aggression/power in the tune based on input from a Flex Fuel sensor. In this case we're using a Continental flex fuel sensor with a Zeitronix ECA2 kit which sends Flex Sensor's data over the CANBus which the DME handles in real-time to make the tune more or less aggressive based on ethanol % in the fuel. We previously made map switching on-demand work using the steering wheel controls. Now, there's a new option to also enable Flex Fuel in the tune and define separate tables for tuning for ignition, fuel, load/torque, various safeties, and many others. Tuning details behind getting a flex fuel tune working are also very straightforward and very powerful. A tuner defines your base map or maps (1 through 4) which you can select through the steering wheel (example: Map1: Stage 1 93 map, Map 2: Stage 2 93 octane, Map3: Stage 2+ 98 octane, Map 4: Stage 2+ race gas) . Any or all of the 4 switchable maps can now be configured as ENABLED for Flex Tuning. When enabled, data from the Flex Fuel Sensor is used to scale between say a pump gas E0 (no ethanol tune, or E10) to a full E85 or E100 (100% ethanol) tune. If sensor detects no ethanol then the scaling leaves the base maps alone without scaling them upwards in aggression. If the sensor detects and sends say 50% ethanol to the DME then the DME can be set to change ignition, fuel, load/torque and many other tables to increase power levels due to ethanol's much higher octane over petrol/gasoline.

In this demo, we're demonstrating on a 2015 BMW F80 M3 which starts out with a 20% ethanol blend in the tank. Those that enjoy the details can see the blend factors are set for 0.50 for this ethanol level just as an example. Currently there are 3 main blend factor tables, ignition, fuel and torque, and they can be individually used to scale among many tables required for tuning Flex Fuel, from cold starting the car with full ethanol in the tank to full on power. In the end of the video we add some more alcohol and you can see in the bootmod3 dashboard how the Flex % goes upwards from 20% to 27% as the fuel system catches up and the fuel in the tank gets a chance to blend as it isn't instant.

Hope you enjoy this video!

Appreciate 4
Maxf80M3174.00
gspannu198.50
tom @ eas8104.50
      12-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Can you run flex fuel and keeps the maps intact as-is? IE, Valet/GTS/Stage One/E85 map, all running on their indivdual paramteers for their tune (edit) regardless of ethanol %?

Last edited by theweebabySeamus; 12-09-2020 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

So three new features, no release dates for any? Am I missing it? If so, my apologies. If not, the first was exciting, second was nothing shy of a tease and now this third time is getting dare I say...ridiculous? I love the what, can I get the WHEN?
Appreciate 1
f80fan15.00
      12-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

I need this. When will it be done?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

These are 3 very welcomed features. I cant wait for it all to be released.
      12-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Can you run flex fuel and keeps the maps intact as-is? IE, Valet/GTS/Stage One/E85 map, all running on their indivdual paramteers for their tune (edit) regardless of ethanol %?
Of course, any existing maps you'd just run the way they are. They wouldn't auto-magically become flex fuel maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
So three new features, no release dates for any? Am I missing it? If so, my apologies. If not, the first was exciting, second was nothing shy of a tease and now this third time is getting dare I say...ridiculous? I love the what, can I get the WHEN?
Why so harsh over a progress update We're posting progress updates during development and testing so those that have been asking get an update and can see a few things on that front. When we don't post progress then some post how nothing is happening, damned if you do damned if you don't We have a few more things we're working on before release such as showing ethanol % in the car's dash so you don't have to use the app or laptop to check, and a few other updates to editor and its all going out together. We never provide ETAs as that's a hard thing to do but it shouldn't be much longer. Trust me standing by is far easier than working on it day in day out so everyone running bm3 gets to play with all these features free of additional fees
Appreciate 8
      12-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Of course, any existing maps you'd just run the way they are. They wouldn't auto-magically become flex fuel maps

Why so harsh over a progress update We're posting progress updates during development and testing so those that have been asking get an update and can see a few things on that front. When we don't post progress then some post how nothing is happening, damned if you do damned if you don't We have a few more things we're working on before release such as showing ethanol % in the car's dash so you don't have to use the app or laptop to check, and a few other updates to editor and its all going out together. We never provide ETAs as that's a hard thing to do but it shouldn't be much longer. Trust me standing by is far easier than working on it day in day out so everyone running bm3 gets to play with all these features free of additional fees
Wasn't my intention to come across harsh, I am a big fan and have sold your platform likely close to 10 times just based on word of mouth aside from my personal purchases. I am critical about multiple updates and the intentional ignoring as to when these will be released. It may come across as an attack, it isn't. Its excitement and I want the new toys
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
They wouldn't auto-magically become flex fuel maps
Questions:

1. Will Halim be the only e-tuner qualified to calibrate FF on the BM3 platform?

2. I already have the Zeitronix ECA-2 with Continental ethanol sensor installed, along with a Stage 4 LPFP upgrade and EoS PI-integrated intake manifold. Is there a way to sign up for beta testing? I have about $1500 of unused tuning credit with one of the BM3 tuners.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wait a dang minute...E% reading in the dash?! That would super sweet. I was already look E gauges that go with continental and zeitronix kit. That would be one hell of a feature.
      12-10-2020, 04:57 AM   #10
ghost.f82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Questions:
1. Will Halim be the only e-tuner qualified to calibrate FF on the BM3 platform?
Can't see why that would be the case at all
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Questions:

2. I already have the Zeitronix ECA-2 with Continental ethanol sensor installed, along with a Stage 4 LPFP upgrade and EoS PI-integrated intake manifold. Is there a way to sign up for beta testing? I have about $1500 of unused tuning credit with one of the BM3 tuners.
1) Any custom tuner using bm3. We don't provide custom tunes but a platform for other tuners to use it for custom tuning as they see fit

2) Closed beta with select tuners will start soon. We won't have end user beta testing for these features as they're very advanced and require great attention to detail in a controlled environment (dyno).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Wait a dang minute...E% reading in the dash?! That would super sweet. I was already look E gauges that go with continental and zeitronix kit. That would be one hell of a feature.
Yep, just got it working actually, press and hold the '-' button for 0.5secs and the RPM gauge shows your current ethanol % as reported by the Zeitronix ECA2 board over CANBus
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1) Any custom tuner using bm3. We don't provide custom tunes but a platform for other tuners to use it for custom tuning as they see fit

2) Closed beta with select tuners will start soon. We won't have end user beta testing for these features as they're very advanced and require great attention to detail in a controlled environment (dyno).

Yep, just got it working actually, press and hold the '-' button for 0.5secs and the RPM gauge shows your current ethanol % as reported by the Zeitronix ECA2 board over CANBus
Thats wild! I think ill still run a gauge but itll be a good option for many. It would be really sweet if the Sport Display Gauges could be configured to read this.
      12-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Thats wild! I think ill still run a gauge but itll be a good option for many. It would be really sweet if the Sport Display Gauges could be configured to read this.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #14
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
I Have an Awron gauge which uses the cruise control button and up and down to use. Will this interfere with these features?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Any Chance of an OTS map for Flex Fuel?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #16
NY135ivishnu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

Will you Im guys offer a option to scale the m5 eu5 injectors like you do with boost map sensor ect?
Appreciate 1
terahertz162.50
      12-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
proTUNING Freaks
Will flex fuel integration be compatible with current PI systems?

i.e.will it scale ethanol concentrations in conjunction with present controllers such as JB4 and AIC6?

For Sale
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Too late for my Xmas stocking, but any clues to public release date?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #19
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisplayer View Post
Too late for my Xmas stocking, but any clues to public release date?
Stay tuned

Get it

But no seriously when I asked last they got a little sensitive. I suggest you wait a significant amount of time and suddenly multitudes of simultaneously developed updates will be released.
Appreciate 1
Shadow2121.00
      12-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #20
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY135ivishnu View Post
Will you Im guys offer a option to scale the m5 eu5 injectors like you do with boost map sensor ect?
I heard that putting M5 injectors in doesn’t really do much for fueling, maybe I’m wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #21
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:
I heard that putting M5 injectors in doesn’t really do much for fueling, maybe I’m wrong
They flow 25% more fuel per injector. With upgraded turbos and no PI or methanol injection the limit is 800whp +/- So with proper HPFP and E85 you're making good power. This has been tested to see if PI could be eliminated. If your goal is around this power it's a great upgrade and the DME recognizes the injectors unlike PI which uses a secondary controller.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #22
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Quote:
I heard that putting M5 injectors in doesn't really do much for fueling, maybe I'm wrong
They flow 25% more fuel per injector. With upgraded turbos and no PI or methanol injection the limit is 800whp +/- So with proper HPFP and E85 you're making good power. This has been tested to see if PI could be eliminated. If your goal is around this power it's a great upgrade and the DME recognizes the injectors unlike PI which uses a secondary controller.
I'm personally yet to see a 750+ build with no PI or meth