Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
pdrama
Rep
Drives: bmw

Winter Tires for 2018 F82 M4 Compeition Package?

Newbie here - apologies if this was answered already somewhere!

I just got my first M4 - yay! It's the competition package with the 20" rims.

But, bought it right as the weather was turning, so obviously need some winter tires.

I realllly don't want to have to purchase new rims AND tires and would prefer to get tires only. Only problem is that I can't find any winter/all season staggered wheels that fit this car. I can, however, find winter/all season tires that are square.

So, question - is there any harm in getting a square set for this setup for the winter? Or, is it absolutely required to stick to staggered? Would a set of square tires even fit these wheels properly?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
pdrama
Rep

Also - would love some inputs on whether or not people recommend me biting the bullet and just getting a new set of wheels and tires for cold months. How much do the rims matter in this situation and what are some recommendations of combos here? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
pdrama
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

You will have to get a new/used setup. Square is just fine and prolly preferred so that you can extend the lifetime of the winter setup by rotating your tires each winter. Generally the rule of thumb is smaller widths are better for snow setups so don't look to get 10" wide square all around. 8.5-9"

It's been mild here in Philly the past few years so I opt to rent a car before a storm hits. Last year my out of pocket rental costs were ~$100.00. Far easier/cheaper IMO than swapping out sets and the initial purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I decided to get a 2nd set of 19" OEM wheels with tires for the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Strongly recommend getting a separate set of wheels for winter setup. Here is why:
1) Switching the tires onto a single wheel multiple times per year will damage the bead, thus resulting in potential leaking. Also, risk of damaging or scratching the wheels.
2) 20" winter tires will be more expensive than equivalent tires for a smaller wheel. Get 19" or 18" wheels for winter.
3) The 20" tire has a lower profile and is more susceptible to damage in winter driving conditions - buckling of roads, pot holes, ice chunks etc..
4) Convenience - with a jack and torque wrench you can easily change out your own tires whenever you want. Don't have to deal with a tire shop during the busiest time of year.

Recommend the Blizzak LM-32 as a good winter performance tire and it is available in many sizes.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
Strongly recommend getting a separate set of wheels for winter setup. Here is why:
1) Switching the tires onto a single wheel multiple times per year will damage the bead, thus resulting in potential leaking. Also, risk of damaging or scratching the wheels.
2) 20" winter tires will be more expensive than equivalent tires for a smaller wheel. Get 19" or 18" wheels for winter.
3) The 20" tire has a lower profile and is more susceptible to damage in winter driving conditions - buckling of roads, pot holes, ice chunks etc..
4) Convenience - with a jack and torque wrench you can easily change out your own tires whenever you want. Don't have to deal with a tire shop during the busiest time of year.

Recommend the Blizzak LM-32 as a good winter performance tire and it is available in many sizes.
Agree with all this. I would also add that winter tire selections in 18-19" are way more abundant than 20".

Staggered vs square - honestly depends on how much snow you think you'll be driving on. I know the recommendation is for square so you can rotate tires, but some people prefer to keep the aesthetics intact especially if your winters are relatively mild. Also the recommendation is to go narrower, especially if you will be driving through a lot of snow.

Your best bet might be to pick up a used set of wheels on the forums or elsewhere. I got a set of 437M wheels from the classifieds here that I'm using as my winter setup, using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. Good luck.
      12-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Boggie911
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Agree with all of the above!

Just bought my first M3 F80 and just caved and purchased OEM M640 winter wheel and tire package. Feeling much more comfortable and my dealer stores the summer set for free.

Also covered by the tire/Wheel package so replacements are covered or the occasional road rash.

Searched around for over a month for used sets or on eBay and found just purchasing outright serves my use well.

Not taking any chances this winter! Peace of mind is priceless for me and the gf
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I bought a set of 513M wheels for my winter setup - could not be happier!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post

Agree with all this. I would also add that winter tire selections in 18-19" are way more abundant than 20".

Staggered vs square - honestly depends on how much snow you think you'll be driving on. I know the recommendation is for square so you can rotate tires, but some people prefer to keep the aesthetics intact especially if your winters are relatively mild. Also the recommendation is to go narrower, especially if you will be driving through a lot of snow.

Your best bet might be to pick up a used set of wheels on the forums or elsewhere. I got a set of 437M wheels from the classifieds here that I'm using as my winter setup, using Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. Good luck.
Did you run square on them? Any pics of the rears?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
Zermatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree with the above comments. You are better off getting a separate set of winter wheels. Changing out tires 2x per year will inherently cause more damage to your wheels from the unmounting and remounting in the fall and spring.

If you are in the snow belt region, then the stock wheels are insanely wide. Narrower is always better when driving on snow. However if you rarely drive on snow, going down to a narrower winter tire is of no real benefit.

For obvious reasons, traction performance is most important in the winter. Considering most of my winter driving is in MT and through mountain passes, winter tire performance has always been my primary objective. On snow, I have the best traction with a square set up and narrow tires either 235 or 245 (also giving me the tire rotation benefit). I prefer 18" wheels to give me more sidewall rubber to better handle rough winter surfaces.

As for which winter tire is best, to each their own but over the years Ive tried a lot and now only use the Hakka R2 on all my vehicles. Various winter tires reviews over the years consistently place the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 as the best. Year after year, it claims the top spot. I have seen a couple reviews rating the Michelin Xice as a close second and usually of better value because of the lower price point.

I have the 18x8.0 BBS SR019 rims in grey. They look awesome. It does look a little narrow in the back especially after immediately taking off the 666 wheels but after a couple days I dont notice it.

For me its all about traction performance; when winter conditions arrive with cold temps and slick road surfaces, short of the ABS and DSC systems, no performance mod is more important than my winter tires that allow me to control my car. If given the option between taking the awd X3 w/ all-season tires or my M3 with Hakkas on a 4hr drive during a snow storm, I'll take the M3 every time.

Last edited by Zermatt; 12-14-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      12-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Yep, running 255 all around. Here is a pic of the rear...some slight stretch but very mild IMO. Nothing unsightly.

12-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #13
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I would buy a complete setup for winter instead of swapping rubber. Don't forget, you can sell the setup when your done

When you consider staggered vs square, you may consider how many snow/wet days vs cold dry days. For me, there are much more dry roadways than snow/wet and I would rather have more performance during there times. Yes the narrower tire will be better in the snow but by how much.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
Topdwnz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP DCT Alpine White

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie911 View Post
Agree with all of the above!

Just bought my first M3 F80 and just caved and purchased OEM M640 winter wheel and tire package. Feeling much more comfortable and my dealer stores the summer set for free.

Also covered by the tire/Wheel package so replacements are covered or the occasional road rash.

Searched around for over a month for used sets or on eBay and found just purchasing outright serves my use well.

Not taking any chances this winter! Peace of mind is priceless for me and the gf
FYI, the wheel and tire package does not cover road rash. I specifically inquired about that prior to purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF Hero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Yep, running 255 all around. Here is a pic of the rear...some slight stretch but very mild IMO. Nothing unsightly.

Sorry to bug but any more pics?
Appreciate 0