European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

02-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

What happens if you rev DCT in neutral then engage D?

Ok so firstly the disclaimer - this is a dumb question and has no useful application aside from being an idiot and making unnecessary noise..

However I have been pondering this question for a while but dont want to test it out for fear of doing damage.
Basically if you put a DCT in Neutral and rev it then fling it across into D before revs have dropped what will happen? will the car lurch forward as a manual would do if revved and the clutch dumped?

The thought arose as i was crawling through town and some kids shouted "oi mate give it some revs". i naturally ignored this but got me thinking. surely this is something reserved for manual trans cars and not possible in a DCT. if I'm crawling along in traffic, engage neutral and rev I would surely have to brake, stop and then engage D again to move on. either that or i would surely launch into the cars in front in a spectacular display of crushed metal and carnage! Not a cool look at all.

Again - Im not saying i want to rev my car through town that would be dumb, but it got me thinking.
      02-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
I don't think it'll engage the clutch until revs drop to an acceptable range.
      02-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
Basically if you put a DCT in Neutral and rev it then fling it across into D before revs have dropped what will happen? will the car lurch forward as a manual would do if revved and the clutch dumped?
I haven't tried this in years (and it was with my prior car), but to my knowledge the clutch will not engage until revs fall below a certain threshold.

Quote:
The thought arose as i was crawling through town and some kids shouted "oi mate give it some revs". i naturally ignored this but got me thinking. surely this is something reserved for manual trans cars and not possible in a DCT. if I'm crawling along in traffic, engage neutral and rev I would surely have to brake, stop and then engage D again to move on. either that or i would surely launch into the cars in front in a spectacular display of crushed metal and carnage! Not a cool look at all.
Actually, when you are moving above a certain speed, you can go back into gear without the brake. However, again, the transmission logic will wait for revs to drop before engaging the gear and closing the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
noLimits Enterprises
Rep
Drives: BMW

Porsche PDK has a "rev" feature for exactly this reason. Pull both pedals inward at once and it drops you into temporary neutral so you can rev.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
I think it will engage and rip out the rear axle like the cop car in American Graffiti.

Appreciate 4
      02-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Plaid
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noLimits Enterprises View Post
Porsche PDK has a "rev" feature for exactly this reason. Pull both pedals inward at once and it drops you into temporary neutral so you can rev.
The DCT has the same ability, though not via the paddles. You just hold the stick to the left (toward N) for a moment and it will go into neutral. Then, as I noted above, you can re-enter gear when you wish without the brake (which you normally have to depress when going into gear from neutral while stopped or at very low speed).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by noLimits Enterprises View Post
The DCT has the same ability, though not via the paddles. You just hold the stick to the left (toward N) for a moment and it will go into neutral. Then, as I noted above, you can re-enter gear when you wish without the brake (which you normally have to depress when going into gear from neutral while stopped or at very low speed).
Confession: I had a bunch of friends standing outside a club in west Hollywood a few weeks after my car got here. With my entire purpose being to look like a douche and see if they noticed it was me I did a 15 mph fly by in neutral revving the motor. It was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I tried this yesterday (for science) while the car was moving and it wouldn't go into neutral. Maybe I wasn't holding the stick long enough.
      02-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
I tried this yesterday (for science) while the car was moving and it wouldn't go into neutral. Maybe I wasn't holding the stick long enough.
Yeah, hold it longer - it should go.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I had a bunch of friends standing outside a club in west Hollywood...
15 mph fly by in neutral revving the motor...
entire purpose being to look like a douche...
What can I say?
Attached Images

03-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Chez
Brit Abroad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.50]
Following, so I can learn how to become a total douche too.

Instagram @M4TTE_BMW

More info and photos here.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
I just did it yesterday down a hill to coast into my driveway (weird game with my kid, don't ask). Anyway, it will do it.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread